Dread05's WIP (v. 2.0) (Sanguinary Priest progress)

dread05

After my mishap with the Dante conversion I took a week off to cool off. Today I finally finshed the assault terminator squad. I present Squad Gideon.

OGH7qoj.jpg

I've built them as shown on the box really, I didnt want to take any chances. The tilting plates were a little annoying to glue to place, but overall it was a very nice kit to build.

Edit : The terminator at the right looks kinda weird posed. He looks like he should be charging forward, but actually he's tilting to the right for no reason. What he really needed was his hammer to be more horizontal, that would give the idea that he's charging to hammer something, but all the hammers were at the same angle more or less. Mind you I used the exact parts shown in the manual to build each model. I suppose this pair of legs was made with the lightning claws in mind.

Edit2 : Gideon's head looks like its further inside the suit than other bare headed terminators ( see my ancient or Karlaen). I thought this was because it's a space hulk figure, and maybe they didnt pay much attention, but in space hulk they have sergeant Lorenzo who's bare head is properly placed. If you pay close attention to Gideon you will realise his TDA is modified at the face with an extra protection plate that covers half of it, which is very similar to what Cataphractii terminators have.

Edited by dread05

Finally managed to gather all the parts for the Sternguard project. Couple of them are ready, the sarge and one heavy weapons guy.

The sergeant. Special issue boltgun and a power sword.

pkqdeVx.jpg

A couple variations from the original plan. First, no bare head for him. I had much trouble finding a fitting head for the chest piece I used, without it looking out of place. Instead I chose the most ornate sanguinary guard head. Secondy, I ended up having him hold a power sword instead of the auspex. The first iteration of him had him on a shooting pose, where the auspex looked nice. When I changed his gun to be downwards, the power sword made much more sense. Overall, Im really happy with what I ended up with.

The second guy is a sternguard veteran with a heavy bolter.

2TLIFW3.jpg

I tried to give him a more shooty pose, but I didnt like it. I used t he heavy bolter from the BA tactical kit, where the shoulder pad is attached to the arm, so I had to place the crux terminatus on the left shoulder.

The rest of the sternguard are complete. I tried to give each one of them a very stylized and personalized power armor, mostly a combination of older marks plus artificier armor pieces.

yuA9sRO.jpg

Even thought they are mostly built with parts from the tactical kit, I think they can easily pass as sternguard.

Thanks Jolemai.  I'm in a dryspell with my painting after that shading failure, where 3 days of painting were wasted in a couple of minutes, and until I find the will to paint again, its gonna be build and build and build. I've still got to build a rhino, 5 assault marines, 2 lieutenants, a chaplain, a sanguinary novitiate and a standard bearer :P

On another note, I started bidding on some space hulk terminators and I won an auction on brother Deino, only to find out the mini was damaged. I won it for 6 pounds, and it sells for 20. It has a mangled purity seal, and I dont know what to do with it. I really should have bought space hulk for 80 euros when I had the chance, now Im gonna spend 50 for a sqaud of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of weeks ago I won an auction on some used space hulk terminators, Brother Zael (the heavy flamer guy) and brother Noctis (stormbolter +power fist with the pointing finger). I knew that I shouldnt bother with used items, and only bidded like 3 euros, so I didnt really think I'd win them but I did. They arrived today at my dad's house, these are the first pictures he sent me.

ZRzdmoo.jpg

zEhvPLC.jpg

As you can see, Noctis' left leg is in a bad shape. It looks something has corroded the plastic from the knee all the way down to the shin. Also, the purity seal is damaged, and the bottom half of the crux terminatus looks like its been pressed by something and got flattened. My dad, "who's good with tools" says he can fix that easily, but I dont have much hope on that. They'll come to me on Wednesday, were I'll try to file off the messed parts on the knee and the purity seal. The crux on the other hand is more damaged. Maybe I'll finally get some green stuff and try experimenting with it? In the end, if the result is not up to my standards, I'll just base coat it and pass it to my brother. He's a painter, but he never painted miniatures before and he's itching to try it. Who knows? Maybe I'll get myself my own personal 40k painter.

Yeah - not great, but it looks mainly like the surface details. I figure your options are...

- Hack it a bit more and paint it up as intentional battle damage 

- File the details off (looks like nothing is deep into the leg itself) and leave it 'plain'

- File back to smooth and add a couple of parts from bits boxes (eg, spare purity seals, blood angels icons or there are some crux icons in some veteran kits)

- Green stuff up replacements (harder to do, but you can get creative)

I'd probably go with option 1 for speed; or 3 for effect - it's amazing how many bits we all accrue just from standard kits. 

It looks like the edge of the seal is hanging on the side, maybe I'll be able to glue it back to place. If not, I will file it back to shape. The blood drop on the knee looks it will be ok with some filing aswell. The damage on the knee will either need filing or to be patched with liquid green stuff, I cant tell if that line is inwards or outwards. On the crux I'll cut the flattened areas back to the original shape, and probably leave it as is. I think I'll end up shaving the bolts around the crux tho, I dont se how I can fix the flat one on the right.

Taking it one step further, I can try to reshape the bottom of the crux with green stuff, but I'm not sure. I've never worked green stuff before, and if I end up buying it and the tools required just to fix this model, I might as well buy a better one. Plus, I'm not confident I can actually shape the green stuff properly.

I think if you clean it up a bit and paint it, it will be barely noticeable

I've found that when I spray with chaos black, even minor damage is visible. I've had trouble with glue stains in the past, were I thought I'd fix them with painting, but it didnt work. Or at least, I knew what to look for anyway, maybe others cant see it.

On the Crux - you can always file it all up and leave just the skull. The Crux that really matters is still on the shoulder pad, right? The one with the shard of Emperor's own armor. Or you can mask the damage with more purity seals. 

Hmm, leaving just the skull isnt a bad idea actually. I might do that if I see I cant save the rest.

Also, my dad says that the rest of the damage looks like some kind of residue. I think a dettol bath is in order, it works wonders with glue stains, and that looks like glue to me.

Both Terminators arrived yesterday and I got busy.

xmdktyI.jpg

I think I fixed brother Noctis on a degree where after the base coating it wont be noticable. Nothing fancy, I used my hobby knife to scrape off the residue, glued the broken seal edge back and cut the flattened areas of the crux. Then I used fine sandpaper (water sandpaper) to smooth everything and finally washed it off 1st with dettol, 2nd with some sterillium and 3rd with soapy water. The white marks that can be seen are from the sandpaper. I have worse glue stains on models I build myself :P.

Brother Zael was in a much better condition, only minor damage on the power fist, I had to shave a couple of damaged bolts on the palm, and file the fingers a bit.

This time I think I wont remove the red base as I did with Gideon, I will just glue them on the 40mm bases.

Edited by dread05

Over 3 months in the making, I finally finished a version of Dante I'm happy with.

VFNrqiN.jpg

lDjbpYT.jpg

Let's see. Sanguinary guard legs and torso, with a death company jump pack. the axe is a blade encarmine of course, and the inferno pistol comes from the winged chaplain. The death mask is the one that resembles Dante's mask the most and one I never used on my guards, so its kinda unique. The shoulder pad is from the sanguinary priest. The arm with the hanging ornament looks a bit weird for Dante, but I couldnt find a better one.

I think I've copied the original model as much as possible, both on the stance and on the looks :tongue.:

edit. Should I chop that thingy hanging from his arm?

Edited by dread05

I agree that a bullet pendant makes little sence if a model does not have anything to fire it with. If it annoys you, round the tip and make a vial from it. That's also a popular votive pendant currently. Surely no blood of Sanguinius there, but maybe a little of vitae from a faithful thrall? Edited by Majkhel

I was  thinking of choping the ornament at its top and just have the rope there, but the idea of having Dante carrying a vial of the genefather's own blood sounded too sweet to pass. I filed it as good as I could. Also last night's photo didnt do the model justice. Here's a couple more, with the new ornament.

03Ip0jg.jpg

1utWJDP.jpg

mDwDNUy.jpg

As i mentioned, I got the inferno pistol from the winged chaplain. I had bought some of its parts from ebay just for the pistol, and I thought I should use the rest of them to build something else. I was thinking to do my captain smash with it, but as Xenith said the model looked awkward and the project was dropped. Then I found the chaplain head on another bits store and I decided I should build a chaplain out of it, one I might use as Lemartes. So I added a spare sanguinary guard jump pack and a bolt pistol from the vanguard veterans, and here we are.

vTpvPNI.jpg

k2awcJz.jpg

oKefqy7.jpg

The shoulder pad on the right had a small gap were the winged jump pack would touch, and since I used one without wings, I had to get creative. The purity seal was big enough to fill the gap. I think it looks nice.

Edited by dread05

More fresh blood. Two of the models are made primarily with bits from the command squad. I had bought that kit just as 8th hit and the command squad was no longer a thing so they were kinda rotting away.

A lieutenant for the 3rd company, with a plasma pistol and a chainsword. He's the sword of Sanguinius, i.e. the choppy lieutenant of the company.

fBF5QnC.jpg

He has the body of a vanguard veteran, the plasma pistol is from the command squad and the chainsword and head are from the tactical kit.

A company ancient for the 2nd company, with a power fist.

csPznQy.jpg

The power fist and his body are from the tactical kit, the standard is from the command sqaud, his head and MK IV shoulder from the sternguard kit. 

A sanuinary novitiate for the 2nd company, who can double as a sanguianry priest if needed. He carries a chainsword and a seathed bolt pistol.

F6EKVm1.jpg         v581Fqz.jpg

He's a combination of tactical kit and command kit aswell, tho the chainsword comes from the vanguard veterans kit. The apothecary backpack is actually the one from the sanguinary priest, since I gave my priest a winged jump pack.

Edited by dread05

The Command Squad of the second company, in various stages of finished :P

rPP1x3H.jpg

The Captain of the second company. To his right a Sanguinary Novitiate and his bodyguard, the Blood Champion. To his left, his 1st Lieutenant, the Warden of the Blood, and the company Ancient, bearing the Standard of Sacrifice.

Finally some reds! :)

Glad you've come to this point.

Almost done with building everything I have on the sprues, there is only one assault marine left and a rhino which I probably wont touch untill I get a twin linked assault cannon to turn it into a razorback. This one is a kit bashed librarian with a jump pack. And what a kit bash he is.

PfKBh1r.jpg

The head is from the primaris librarian. The front of the torso is from the BA upgrade sprue. The back of the torso is one with a psychic hood from the grey knights. The force sword also comes from they grey knights. The other hand is a combination of the pointing hand of the tactical kit and the open palm from the sanguinary guards. From the guard also come the legs. Finally the jump pack is from the death company. I had trouble with the jump pack, it wouldnt fit cause of the psychic hood. The hood had some pipes on its back that I had to shave. After some filling the jump pack would fit enough to glue. Its not 100% straight, but if you look it from a distance, you cant really tell. I thought about using a mark IV jump pack, but didnt really want to spend much on it, and couldnt find a cheap one.

Edit : I forgot the shoulder pads :P One comes from the vanguard veterans, it has a skull with wings that I will use to represent the librarium, and the other is from the death company, an angel with wings.

Edited by dread05