Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dread05's WIP (v. 2.0) (minor update, sprayed basecoat)

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

dread05

dread05

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 408 posts

I decided to try to paint spray my army en mass because at this point I have so much gray, it will take me months just to base coat them with a brush and pot (at my current rhythm anyway). Until now I was undercoating with chaos black and I was doing some thin coats (very thin I must admit) of mephiston red. I tried to do the same with sprayed mephiston red. I was sceptical about it, cause I've seen many reviews of mephiston red actually clogging detail etc. I did a test run with a space hulk terminator, since its easier to strip paint them. I have to say, the results speak for themselves.

NS2MlPz.jpg  PnjbmwZ.jpg  

VRgZr2C.jpg

I didnt loose any detail, the colour is smooth all across the model, and the chaos black undercoat gave me some very nice shadows.

Edited by dread05, 14 July 2018 - 06:05 PM.

I'm not trying to build a competitive army, I'm here for the fluff. I don't even play the game. I'm trying to build a thematic army, if the units are competitive, even better! Please keep that in mind every time I post something ^_^.

Ekfud

Ekfud

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 166 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Sprays ftw :-)

Out of curiosity - did you find a good way to cut/clean up the original bases? 

I'm going to make a start on my space hulk sprues soon and want to put them on 40mm; there happens to be a lot of plastic to cut away on some of the poses. 

gallery_64798_14233_11885.jpggallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_48988_10069_2782.png

Ekfud's Daemonbanes [Blood Angels 5th Company Blog]

dread05

dread05

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 408 posts

Sprays ftw :-)

Out of curiosity - did you find a good way to cut/clean up the original bases? 

I'm going to make a start on my space hulk sprues soon and want to put them on 40mm; there happens to be a lot of plastic to cut away on some of the poses. 

TBH this is the only space hulk model I cut the original base, to match with the rest of the squad. I cut the big pieces with clippers and then used a sanding wheel my dad has at home to smooth it down. Given the opportunity, I dont think I would do it again, the original bases play a big part on the poses of these models. Gideon ended up leaning forward a bit. For squad Lorenzo, which is only space hulk models, I just glued the old bases on 40mm bases. They ended up a bit taller than my other squad, but thats not bad in the age of primaris :P.

• Ekfud likes this

I'm not trying to build a competitive army, I'm here for the fluff. I don't even play the game. I'm trying to build a thematic army, if the units are competitive, even better! Please keep that in mind every time I post something ^_^.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users