Dread05's WIP (v. 2.0) (Sanguinary Priest progress)

dread05

Since photobucket ruined my old wip, and its just a bunch of posts with non working links, I'm gonna start a new one. Jolemai feel free to delete and/or block the old one :/

Now I'm uploading on imgur, fingers crossed. To start with, a Baal Predator, my first vehicle in the hobby. I wanted to give a dynamic pose to the gunner, I ended up with a really weird hatch positioning. On a second thought, I should have gone without the doors of the hatch. Mehh.

ZpXPTY8.jpg

I've ordered some liquid green stuff to fix the holes, I know it looks bad but it was my first :tongue.:. Also, I'm afraid to prime this one, I've never primed anything bigger than a marine before.

Edited by dread05

The Captain of my new company (havent decided yet, so far its just the plasma company). He has two thin coats of Mephiston red.

6UhvICH.jpg

His company veterans (the sergeant is a try hand and copies the captain's wargear). Just one coat on these guys, I had to paint strip the middle marine and my OCD didnt let me continue until he was base coated again. They are a total kit bash, made from vanguard veterans torso's and jump packs, blood angels helmets and the terrible legs from the command squad. The combi plasma on the sergeant is also from the command squad.

9iqSkec.jpg

I tried to give each one a different plasma gun, I ended up using one from the BA tactical kit, one from sternguard vets, one from normal space marine tacticals and one from the betrayal on Calth. I tried to go with 2 shooting poses and 2 standing, but only the betrayal on Calth could fit in a shooting pose. I was fairly new to building minis back then and I didnt dare chop the other plasma guns to fit them.

Edited by dread05

A shooty 5 man tactical squad from the same company, combi plasma on the sergeant and a plasma gun, I had to chop that weird rear end of the plasma gun off, to manage a shooting pose. Something I learned the hard way on my vets, where I couldnt get shooting poses and they all look kinda the same.

yGeazn7.jpg

A footslogger assault squad. Notice the two Mark VI beakies.

m1HD2CH.jpg

An assault squad with jump packs, featuring an eviscerator, cause it looks soooo cool. It was my first time building a proper assault squad (as in I bought the blood angels assault squad kit), the footsloggers are just tactical models with extra bits I had. It was pretty fun to build, I have to do some fixing with liquid green stuff on some of the jump packs. The head on the sergeant is from the sanguinary guards kit, the rest are from the BA tacticals and I swapped one of the plasma pistols with one from the tactical kit. I figure jump units need less adornments clinging on them, just to be safe.

wV93nQd.jpg

All of the above squads lack grenades and other BA adornments yet, I plan to do these the following days. Im gonna base coat them when the weather gets a bit better.

Edited by dread05

Looking forward to seeing these guys finished. Rule of cool on the eviserator is a must. I've often found that the rule of cool add ons do surprising things in games. That silly flamer pistol takes the last wound of a charging Carnifex, ect.

Looking forward to seeing these guys finished. Rule of cool on the eviserator is a must. I've often found that the rule of cool add ons do surprising things in games. That silly flamer pistol takes the last wound of a charging Carnifex, ect.

Im mostly into 40k for the modeling and collecting aspect. I've yet to play my first game, so I mainly build for the looks of it. Tomorrow I'll photograph some of my more finished models from the first company (as in chronological first, not the archangels) I did, the flamer company.

Good job! Love to see them all RED :)

One advise if I may- with poses like the eviscerator-guy, it often becomes a pain to paint them. Getting a brush under arms to paint the chestplate is hard.

I would either glue the arms very lightly or use that sticky stuff (forgot the name) to hold them together temporarily just to clarify the pose that I want and then paint seperately before final assembly.

I still have some guys that I've assembled awesomely... but fear painting :D

You might try this receipe:

1. Paint the eye lenses white

2. Correct edges with whatever color has been used for the helmet so that white stays in the lenses only.

3. Apply watered down (at least 3 parts water/1) color of the lenses.

The result should be like with a wash- most of the color gathers on the edges, while in the middle white makes the color look translucent. I'll post a picture of one of mine to demonstrate when I find it.

Oh thats what I've been doing. Paint white, correct the edges and they aply waywatcher green glaze. The effect is really nice. Correcting the edges is not. In one case I ended up ripping the head off of a marine, it was that bad. Given my brushes were not that good then, but still, just the thought of it stresses me out.

I'll post photos of my (almost) finished ones today.

I have been using*army painter*‘ psycho‘ brush lately for high detail work and it does a pretty good job of getting in those find details. It’s an incredibly fine short bristled brush that I fell in love with with first use.

I managed to find the left hand holding an inferno pistol from the BA chaplain with jump pack bit on ebay. It was the last part I was missing for a Dante conversion. Sanguinary guard torso, legs, death mask and axe, death company jump pack. I just have to find fitting shoulder pads now.

Well, here it is, the flamer company. They are my earliest models, and sadly you can see the dust has settled on them. I'm working on a closed display cabinet.

Starting with the captain of the company, he's holding a combi flamer and a relic blade. He's made mostly from parts from the captain of the command squad, BA sergeant legs, combi flamer is from sternguard vets and the relic blade is from some dark angels kit ( I think the ravenwing upgrade pack?)

TiV18xc.jpg

The company's first lieutenant, with a master crafted boltgun and a power axe. Axe is from assault marines kit, the rest are a combination of BA tacticals and death company.

03KGcQQ.jpg

The company champion, the captain's right hand man. He holds a master crafted sword and a bolt pistol with combat shield. It's just the company champion from the command squad, with a BA head and backpack really, nothing special here.

nzplfL5.jpg

Now on the marines themselves. This is my first squad I ever bought, built and painted. Flamer, heavy flamer and a combi flamer on the sergeant. The poses are kinda unatural but the paint job is nice considering it was the first time I ever holded a brush in my hands. After the shading, I did two coats of red glaze to brighten the colour a bit. I liked the results but they ended kinda shinny. They now need a coat of lahmian medium to lessen the shine, decals and bases. For basing I'm thinking about going with sand. I havent used any decals yet,  cause I havent decided on which company they'll end up.

BCATEO3.jpg

My second tactical squad. Flamer, heavy flamer and this time hand flamer and power sword. The poses look much more natural this time, I had worked with this kit before and knew how to build them better. These were base coated, drybrushed and shaded. I also repainted all the black parts and was about to do the metal parts on the guns, when I got sidetracked with sanguinary guards :tongue.:. The red here is darker than the above squad, but after the glaze I think they will get closer.

zkVFkXV.jpg

And there you have it. The quality of the pictures is not that good I'm afraid, my phone was about to die.

Edited by dread05

I got myself the body of the DC chaplain from ebay. It was just the torso, legs and arms, it was missing the winged jump pack the helmet and the shoulder pads. I'm gonna use the inferno pistol arm on a dante conversion.

This leaves me a really nice sculpted body which I want to use for my captain smash. I'll add some fancy helmet and pads, a DC jump pack I'm gonna cut the crozius from the right arm and glue something else there.

Now my question. Is it essential for captain smash to have a storm shield? Or can I go with a pistol? I currently have a left handed thunder hammer and a lot of right handed pistols. But I dont have any left handed hammers or right handed shields. If the shield is a must, I have to do more buying.

Edited by dread05

Depends on your opponent. If you expect your captain's saves to be reduced a lot by enemy fire, then take the shield. Otherwise I'd go with a multimelta or Master-crafted boltgun (for points reduction). 
Parts-wise, I think that most of the shields are left handed. There were some old metal ones that had no hand attached and thus would be easy to put on any hand. The are heavy though and can unbalance the model.