A new Forge World joins the fray

Hi Guys, just using this thread as a way to chart my progress now I've got started with AdMech.

This is Forge World Selhurst

Got a couple of start collecting boxes and other bits, but so far this is what I've painted. Punch the Datasmith and his 2 Kastellan Charges, SAK-0 and SAK-40

fRSXDMb.jpg

It's my first attempt at edge highlighting. Think I might keep that to smaller models or small parts and go back to drybrushing large areas

I wouldn't give up on edge highlights if I was you, is just make them a little subtler. So it looks like you painted blue, washed it, then highlighted lighter blue, so it's a big color jump. I would start by just highlighting the same shade of blue you started with because it will be lighter than the washed blue. Then very lightly hit some spots with the lighter blue. It will be a more gradual transition. You've got a good start here!

Edge highlighting is something you improve on quickly as you get more experience. Like Tyriks I usually use the colour I just washed as it's not too different, depending on how much wash you use. It also usually gets reserved for special character models and the like but it's something you can return to on models later so don't focus too much on it :tu:

That's a great plan, I did the same for my Chaos army and it's worked nicely :smile.: I'd still recommend focusing on getting models done for now, as putting them on the table is great motivation. It'll also give you a better idea as to what you may like to do/change/etc so you can return to the scheme and it can grow "organically" along with your skills :thumbsup:

I think that's the most important part of improving, it's done in smaller steps so works best that way as well as being easier. Sort of building a foundation, if you will. It won't be long before you can visit the first page of your WIP here and see the improvement. You've got a great start here so keep at it - don't forget there's The Forge if you need more detailed painting advice. I'd recommend looking into magnetisation too especially for the larger kits as a great way to develop your hobby in a different direction if you fancy it.

Got the leg section for my Dunecrawler painted up last night. Will be doing the top section tonight.

bCGpnrw.jpg

CDSxZVl.jpg

In other news, I used the Kastellans as shooty bots with my TPD for rerolls in a game against Custodes last week. They did not disappoint. And Wrath of Mars makes them absolutely lethal to custodes with the MW in addition. Possibly my new favourite tactic against the custard creams

That's what I'm thinking. Haven't glued it down yet. It feels like it's missing something. Might add a couple of barrels or bits of old tank trap I have in my bits box. Going to get some slate and gravel pieces for larger bases, so will give that a go on the other one I have to build.

Currently have 10 Skitarii from the same Starter Box that need making, so I think they're going to be next. Then I have another Starter Box and Sicarians to make up.

Probably make up all the Skitarii as 2x 5 vanguard and 2x 5 Rangers. Will make up the arc rifles and Plasma as vanguard and the Arquebi as rangers. The sicarians are going to be infiltrators with cattle prods.