The Wrath of Plasma Inceptors

SnakeChisler

Or should it be titled what not to take in your army list if you want friends

I decided to build 6 of these because I was going to a comp they did pretty well but I had a couple of Eldar Yennarai matches so it was difficult to know how deadly they could be.

I also did 6 bolter ones as well and ran them both together in a couple of club games, the sheer brutality of the 12 model drop + master + LT has left me feeling pretty bad even tho my opponent knew I was fetching some primaris plasma filth.

The tipping point is the 3 damage on all 6 with associated split fire as 3 seems a popular number for GW's heavier infantry models with 6 being the next bracket up. Against a Cawl ad-mech force I got rid of 2 units of the light robots + the unit of heavy robots in 1 round of fire.

Comp wise It's a question of priorities and how you want to serve out the plasma death as in how many Hellblaster's V Inceptors and will probably drop down to 4 as in some games your playing chicken with your opponents reserves.

Oh and all 12 are coming back out the cabinnet if the local Tau player asks for a game as well as enough Hellblaster's to barbecue half an ocean of fish ;)

I can confirm that plas inceptors are fun, mine have been christened the samurai suicide squad for their habit of dropping in melting stuff and self immolating. That said they have accounted for 3 dunecrawlers, 4imperial knights and a squad of kataphron servitors in 5games! So yep all around pretty cool I have only run one squad of 6 so far with a jump pack master (but that many shots there will always be too many 1's) more than 6 and you are into serious gorgonzola territory

Got a 2nd hand Primaris Rhino in the garage being stripped so it can join my DA.

I'm sure you can guess what the servo skull hubs 12" +1 to hit will be used on.

In my latest lists I'm running 4 or 5 inceptors. Should be plenty with the +1 and re-roll ones.

I also brought the plasma inceptor hate in an ITC tournament yesterday.  Will make a separate thread for it, but yes, they are brutal.  One shotting a superheavy tank is good stuff.

Were you using a squad of 3 or 6?

I also brought the plasma inceptor hate in an ITC tournament yesterday.  Will make a separate thread for it, but yes, they are brutal.  One shotting a superheavy tank is good stuff.

Were you using a squad of 3 or 6?

• 3 weeks later...

I've had 4 games now where I've tried in vain to make DWA work. However, in my last game I came up against a squad of Inceptors, and I was surprised at how resilient they were. So much so, I'm contemplating ditching my 10-man DW squad for some Inceptors.

I just did the maths on 10 DW vs 9 assault bolter Inceptors, and the Inceptors win out. Although you punch out a lot of storm bolter shots with DWA, the fact that they are (a) S4 AP - only and need 3CP to fund means that they are costly and don't hit hard enough against tougher enemies. The S5 AP -1 profile of the assault bolters really makes a difference.

I know you're trading a 2+/5++ save for a 3+ save, but I feel the increased mobility and Toughness 5 should make up for this. 

The plasma exterminator is an additional 21 points per squad, but does give you the SP7 AP-3 profile (SP8 D2 if stratagem). Next game I'm definitely going to try an Inceptor force, so hopefully I'll have more success than with DWA.

I started running 2x 3-man squads of assault bolter Inceptors and a 3-man squad os plasma Inceptors. I became so impressed with the plasma guys I increased their number to a 6-man squad. I have played two games so far, on the turn they drop I have killed a Land Raider; and 2x Death Guard Characters, plus reduced 4x 5man DeathGuard squads to 3 models. Since I have very carefully placed my units they have survived at least the first round of return fire, and their mobility has allowed them to threaten more units again and again.

I felt absolutely underwhelmed -- my 10 man squad with belial dropped, did DWA, then their normal shots, then the shots next turn, assaulted GK master in Nemesis... and was completely obliterated while GK master was still alive. It was highly elite roster I was playing against with two GK masters in nemesis and Draigo as the core force. two units of DW knights died easily because of null zone, and 10 man squad couldn't do anything against high T, high save elite models. Funny thing -- I took more wounds out of GK masters by using Hellfire shell strata, which is a small gem for 1CP, managed to remove 6 wounds in 2 turns. For 2 CP out of basic tactical dude... while DW did nothing (and my rolls were not bad, I would say they were pretty good).

So now I'm looking forward to Inceptors. While I like my DW dudes, GW didn't do them justice.

I felt absolutely underwhelmed -- my 10 man squad with belial dropped, did DWA, then their normal shots, then the shots next turn, assaulted GK master in Nemesis... and was completely obliterated while GK master was still alive. It was highly elite roster I was playing against with two GK masters in nemesis and Draigo as the core force. two units of DW knights died easily because of null zone, and 10 man squad couldn't do anything against high T, high save elite models. Funny thing -- I took more wounds out of GK masters by using Hellfire shell strata, which is a small gem for 1CP, managed to remove 6 wounds in 2 turns. For 2 CP out of basic tactical dude... while DW did nothing (and my rolls were not bad, I would say they were pretty good).

So now I'm looking forward to Inceptors. While I like my DW dudes, GW didn't do them justice.

Quick note: only Index GK Librarians have access to Null Zone. Other GK need to stick to their own discipline. So unless that was the case, he cheated you out of a 3++.

Inceptors look amazing, since their weapons are assault as well, so the risk of overcharged kills is a lot lower. Their reach is pretty great too, so you can manipulate the drop, and with their high movement and fly keyword, can catch up to priority targets easily. I reckon I'll be fielding a couple regularly!

Quick note: only Index GK Librarians have access to Null Zone. Other GK need to stick to their own discipline. So unless that was the case, he cheated you out of a 3++.

Inceptors look amazing, since their weapons are assault as well, so the risk of overcharged kills is a lot lower. Their reach is pretty great too, so you can manipulate the drop, and with their high movement and fly keyword, can catch up to priority targets easily. I reckon I'll be fielding a couple regularly!

He was using Deathwatch/GK, the Librarian was from Deathwatch, so I guess he wasn't cheating.

He was using Deathwatch/GK, the Librarian was from Deathwatch, so I guess he wasn't cheating.

Fair does! :)

I have been playing around with putting DW terminators in a list to support plasma Inceptors and other deep striking units.

The plasma Inceptors can get screened out from the high Toughness stuff they want to get at. DW assault works in the movement phase. If a squad drops, murders a screen and makes a hole so the inceptors can DS deeper (same turn) to access the high Toughness stuff.

Ultimately too big an investment in points and CP for me.

I have been playing around with putting DW terminators in a list to support plasma Inceptors and other deep striking units.

The plasma Inceptors can get screened out from the high Toughness stuff they want to get at. DW assault works in the movement phase. If a squad drops, murders a screen and makes a hole so the inceptors can DS deeper (same turn) to access the high Toughness stuff.

Ultimately too big an investment in points and CP for me.

Also not as useful, since you get all your bang-for-buck at 18", which is decent and relatively safe from counter-charge, where you can just zoom in 12" over terrain to get in range again. Which is why cover is fantastic if you can abuse it to blow up one or two things, and then be out of line of sight from dangerous counter-shooting.

Archived