Custom Ultima Founding Chapter: Umbral Spectres

WG101

I am Not Dead. Just been Busy with Irl but now since i have more time ever since i graduated i think I'll post up the Progress Made on the Chapter ever since i was invited to write Up an Article for them for the 40k Homebrew Wiki as it is nearly Complete there. it's time to Post up a link here to their WIP page for the Liber to Judge their worth.

Their Rules are much Stricter on Gene seed Origin but the Lux Et Umbra Story written by Wargamer (Thank you yet again) is still Canon to their lore but now they're Alpha Legion/Ultramarines Chimeric Primaris Marines due to complications in pure gene seed implantation that the secondary Gene seed negates (I'll leave it to you what is the secondary Gene template though)

https://wh40khomebrew.fandom.com/wiki/User:WG101343/Sandbox?useskin=oasis

Edited by WG101

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks good Brother...... I like a chapter with a little mystery to it:thumbsup:

I would like to see some more examples (especially combat) of how the Umbral Spectres askew the Codex. Lots of chapters deviate from the Codex in many ways without being radical to the point of raising the hackles of the Inquisition.

Anything more solid to suggest Alpha Legion gene-seed than the one body? I assume they send their annual tithe of gene-seed to the AdMech. Has the Inquisition requested/demanded a sample during a surprise visit/inspection? Here's a scenario for you:

Inquisitor: ??????

Chapter Master Umbra: Yes, that's OUR armour, but I don't recognize the body. He's not one of ours. Clearly, the enemy is trying to sew doubt and division.                                                       Any fool can see that.

Now, if you don't have anything else, I've wars to prosecute, so GET OUT!...… by your ship or through the air lock, it doesn't matter much to me either way.

Don't misunderstand me. I don't see this as a big problem. I just think it needs to be fleshed out a little. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

• 4 weeks later...

Looks good Brother...... I like a chapter with a little mystery to it:thumbsup:

I would like to see some more examples (especially combat) of how the Umbral Spectres askew the Codex. Lots of chapters deviate from the Codex in many ways without being radical to the point of raising the hackles of the Inquisition.

Anything more solid to suggest Alpha Legion gene-seed than the one body? I assume they send their annual tithe of gene-seed to the AdMech. Has the Inquisition requested/demanded a sample during a surprise visit/inspection? Here's a scenario for you:

Inquisitor: ??????

Chapter Master Umbra: Yes, that's OUR armour, but I don't recognize the body. He's not one of ours. Clearly, the enemy is trying to sew doubt and division. Any fool can see that.

Now, if you don't have anything else, I've wars to prosecute, so GET OUT!...… by your ship or through the air lock, it doesn't matter much to me either way.

Don't misunderstand me. I don't see this as a big problem. I just think it needs to be fleshed out a little. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

I plan on fleshing all this out in the future. Just taking a break over the summer to clear my head. But here's a teaser for ya! Its still a WIP i need to go and refine and actually make sure dosen't break 40k lore too much. But something tells me that this report will never make it to the primarch *wink wink*

--------

Inquisitors report to Robute Guilliman on the gene seed, loyalties and codex compliance of the Umbral Spectres -Redacted-M42

The Umbral Spectres are.. strange for a Primaris Astartes chapter. With two major codex deviations in terms of wargear and company composition.

The wargear transgression takes the forms of experimentation ranging from intercessors with boltstorm gauntlets as a secondary weapon to full conversion of non functional relics in order to render them operational again -see attached grav Fellblade picts-

The other major transgression being that They also maintain a small blacksheild company that wears their colours with the chapter symbol blacked out. The blacksheild chaplain that seems to lead these possible former heretics seeking redemption was the only one to answer inquiries on why they were with the Spectres and not in the deathwatch: "-redacted clearance level insuficcient-"

As for the issue of gene seed.. i have taken samples of genetic material from their gene seed stocks and from multiple marines in the chapter. The samples confirm the strange results and by combing through the archives of their creation provided by their apothecaries, the XX legion genes discovered were a deliberate lifesaving action due to gene seed rejection within the recruits of the chapter. The alpha legion/ultramarine gene seed hybridization was the combination that stabilized the majority of these 1000 marines that would eventually form the chapter, with 800 others bound for other chapters dying due to an inability to stabilize and stop the rejection on time..

After interrogating Chapter Master Umbra after these revalations. I can say that the chapter is loyal to the Imperium and are not heretics.

Loyalty: Absolute 100%

Codex Compliance: 80% (combat tactics not assesed due to no combat actions taking place during the investigation. Requires further investigation to provide accurate scoring)

Genetic deviation from pure source: 40-95% depending on the severity of gene seed rejection based on samples provided

------

Edited by WG101

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long for me to comment on your last post:blush.:

The Inquisitor's report was a nice touch and I like it a lot...…. But, I do think that the integration of the Black Shields into chapter operations and the presence of Alpha Legion genetic material in the gene-seed hybrid will leave the Inquisition deeply concerned. The general consensus may be that the chapter is loyal and the explanations and justifications presented to the Inquisitor ring true, but the Inquisition is a deeply suspicious organization. They may not censure the Umbral Spectres, but they would most certainly keep a close eye on them. Remember - "Innocence proves nothing."

Good stuff on the whole:thumbsup: Looking forward to more.