Tau 8th Edition: Codex and the future discussions.

Triszin

I figured I'd make this now, with the codex coming out so soon. just a place to talk about things we like in the dex, (from whats leaked thus far) and what we are planning to do with it.

Personally I am considering making a XV8 iridium commander, but use  the body of a broadside, just so it looks more imposing.

What I like?

• Coldstar with free weapon choice (I'm still laughing)
  • Iridium Suits are back
  • Ghostkeel with 6" min distance for the Stealth effect
  • Overcharged Ion weapons without random amount of shots
  • Sa'cea. Everything about it except for the Warlord trait (then again, most Warlord traits seem kinda wasted on a Commander ...)
  • Vior'la. Such a good Sept for Breacher.
  • FSE. Friggin Fusion Blades and +1 to-hit Stratagem for dropping Crisis
  • Many of our Stratagems (healing Battlesuits, Mortal wounds against charging units, using the best profile of damaged W10+ Battlesuits/Vehicles and many more!)
  • Most stuff getting actual point reductions so they're now finally worth taking again (looking at you HRR Broadside!)
  • Commander limit (no, seriously. I prefer it this way over the way it was with the Index even tho it's not a very smooth fix)

What I'll do with those things? Finally having fun playing T'au again and planning to buy two more Coldstars so I can magnetize one and build one with a Fusion Blade. I think I also need more Crisis to accompany him lol

Also now that I finally know what Septs there are and what they do I can finally continue painting my army. I really wasn't sure which Sept I'd go with since the T'au fluff barely exists for such kind of things. I wish N'dras would've been there but can't have anything I guess (and I sure as hell won't use the Dal'yth Sept stuff as replacement! Friggin static gunline Sept!)

I think the strongest lists will include at least a small Sa'cea detachment for easy Markerlight access and then either FSE for the Crisis bomb or Vior'la for superior mobility and firepower on infantry.

Maybe all three even considering a Patrol Detachment with 2x5 Strike Teams with a Markerlight on the 'Ui plus a Fireblade costs only 118p and is enough to unlock the Sa'cea Stratagem and gives you three rather reliable Markerlights to shoot (2x BS4+ re-rollable + 1x BS2+ re-rollable due the Sa'cea trait).

Activate the Stratagem, shoot at the priority target with the other Markerlights, maybe even activate the Markerlight Stratagem from Chapter Approved and et voila 5 Markerlight hits.

Have a unit of FSE Crisis drop there as well and activate their Stratagem and you have a LOT of dakka hitting on 2+ re-rolling 1s and ignoring Cover. If you equip all of those Crisis with 3x CIB (lets say 5 so it's a 480p unit) you'll have 45 shots = 43.75 hits = 36.46 wounds on anything with T4 or less. Of course that would be overkill for anything so you split your shots and have only against the prime target hitting on 2+ and the rest on 3+ but that's still a lot of hurt.

Or you concentrate on a particularly tough target (Mortarion anyone?) and then that's 29.17 damage = 19.45 lost wounds after Disgustingly Resilient. A lot of efford but that Crisis unit did cost only 10p more than Mortarion, just blew him away in a single turn and is still ready to wreck the rest of the Death Guard army for the rest of the game. :wink:

So if I had to write a quick competetive list out of my head it would look something like this:

Sa'cea Battalion detachment (around 300p)

1 Fireblade

1 Dakkastar

5 Strike Team with Markerlight

FSE Battalion detachment (around 1000p)

1 Fusionstar

3 Stealth Suits with 3xBC + 3xATS

5 Crisis with 3xCIB each and 10 Shield Drones (don't judge, I love those little guys lol)

Vior'la Battalion detachment (around 800p)

1 Coldstar of whatever flavor (probably another Fusion)

1 Fireblade

10 Breacher

10 Breacher

10 Breacher

1 Devilfish

1 Devilfish

1 Devilfish

Of course that's very rough and the points obviously don't align properly since I didn't bother calculating properly (just did it quickly in Battlescribe with the old points) however this list offers a lot of:

ObSec,

lots of mobility,

decent Markerlight application,

super mobile anti-tank,

board/reserves control during deployment with the Stealth Suits,

a really scary alpha strike with the Crisis bomb,

a rather scary follow up with 3x10 Breacher (once there are 5 Crisis with 10 Shield Drones the opponent will be too busy dealing with them to focus properly on the Coldstars and the Breacher lol),

also 10 Command Points (you probably burn through 5 of them on alone with the Markerlight supported Crisis bomb tho)

I'm not exactly a competetive player but something like this would be my first try at a competetive T'au list with the Codex.

Edited by sfPanzer

I’m riding the assault profile and Coldstar gravy train hoo boy crispy biscuits!

1955 pts - Vior’la (8 CPs)

BATTALION DETACHMENT

>XV8 Commander

+3 MP, 1 velocity tracker (Kauyon babysit)

>Fireblade

>10 breachers

>10 breachers

>5 FW strike team

>5 FW strike team

>10 Pathfinders

+ 2 ion rifles, recon drone, pulse drone

>Devilfish w/2 seeker missiles

>Devilfish w/2 seeker missiles

>Broadside

+HRR, dual plasma, seeker missile, shield

>Broadside

+HRR, dual plasma, seeker missile, shield

VANGUARD DETACHMENT

Coldstar Commander

+ 2 fusion, supernova launcher, shield gen

3 Crisis Suits

+ 3x3 CIBs

2 Hazard Suits

+ 2x2 fusion cascades, 4 shield drones

Ghostkeel w/stealth drones

+ Ion gun, 2 fusion, target lock, shield gen

You guys have to get some Hammerheads in those list!!!:wink::wink::wink:

Krash

I don't think the Hammerhead is a competetive choice even with the points drop and changes to Ion Cannon but I'll definitely take one Railhead in my Sa'cea detachment for our b&b games. ;)

You guys have to get some Hammerheads in those list!!!:wink::wink::wink:

Krash

Lol I’m a suit guy through and through. From what I’ve seen with others, if you take 1 hammerhead you should be taking 2 or 3. Unfortunately I don’t have the points quite yet for that!

I never used multiple commanders, but if I ever went to go play at a club it would likely be against folk "practicing for tournaments" and not having that is a weapon I can't bring.

My Tau collection was built up in 7th as a deterrent against bull:cuss among my friends.

I don't mind the bs4+ and the derpy marker light table, it's the continued lack of Jump shoot Jump on all suits which just kills my joy.

But as I wrote before, GW is just saving me money and time.

it's the continued lack of Jump shoot Jump on all suits which just kills my joy.

Jump-Shoot-Jump killed everyone elses' joy when it existed. Lamenting it's loss is like lamenting having the only nuclear weapons. It was bad for the game.

T'au look pretty cool right now, and I'm honestly tempted to start them when the Codex drops properly.

I never heard anyone complaining that strongly about JSJ to be honest. The thing people usually complained about that the shooting is too strong which was kinda ridiculous since it's the only thing T'au have and even then they weren't a top tier tournament army without the Riptide Wing.

Yeah it did exactly that. Bummer that gunlines had to move to get line of sight for once. :rolleyes:

Also in 8th it's way harder to block LoS and cover works way differently so it wouldn't be as much of a problem now anyway.

What's the opinion on running Vior'la fire warriors but with carbines? If you're going to get your infantry up close to the enemy anyway (but staying out of charge range), maintaining the assault 2 (rather than losing rapid fire) seems preferable. Would the extra shot outweighs the pulse blaster at 6"-10"?

I guess it depends how close you want your infantry to get.

Yeah it did exactly that. Bummer that gunlines had to move to get line of sight for once. :rolleyes:

Also in 8th it's way harder to block LoS and cover works way differently so it wouldn't be as much of a problem now anyway.

Gunlines, like Tau... :rolleyes: Regardless, 8th Ed definitely wants more LOS blocking terrain, and back in previous editions with area terrain it was reasonably easy to put down LOS blocking terrain.

Anyway, I'll stop derailing, just glad that JSJ is gone, because it wasn't an engaging ability for either side.

Edited by Kallas

JSJ was the antithesis of fun. It was literally mindless: step forward, shoot, go back to being untargetable.

Sounds like you just needed to learn how to play against Tau. Your SM easily had weapons that could out range Suits. You had units that could chase them down. All JSJ did was actually make you plan your moves to trap them or force them into the open. It was also very dependent on the terrain on the board too. If there was very little terrain then you were probably in range of someone.

I used to have very little trouble taking Tau players with my CSM.

Sounds like you just needed to learn how to play against Tau. Your SM easily had weapons that could out range Suits. You had units that could chase them down. All JSJ did was actually make you plan your moves to trap them or force them into the open. It was also very dependent on the terrain on the board too. If there was very little terrain then you were probably in range of someone.

I used to have very little trouble taking Tau players with my CSM.

I played with and against Tau during JSJ. You're right that it wasn't 100% unbeatable, but it definitely made things way less of a back and forth. It's just a kind of no brainer tactic: step out, shoot, step away, repeat. But then it also had the extra level of a good player can make more of it, a low entry (easy to make good use of)/high cap (at the top level of player skill, becomes extremely powerful) kind of thing.

And, "just plan", well that's kind of the game, isn't it? Same thing for terrain: if it's too dense, gunlines get mobbed by melee troops; too open gunlines dominate.

I'm going to stop replying on the JSJ subject, didn't mean to drag the thread off topic. 8E Tau are looking pretty cool...

spf im surprised your lists dont have ghost keels

My lists always have Ghostkeels. I LOVE Ghostkeels. Doesn't mean I think they're a competetive choice tho. ;)

What's the opinion on running Vior'la fire warriors but with carbines? If you're going to get your infantry up close to the enemy anyway (but staying out of charge range), maintaining the assault 2 (rather than losing rapid fire) seems preferable. Would the extra shot outweighs the pulse blaster at 6"-10"?

I guess it depends how close you want your infantry to get.

Carbines are pretty cool but ultimately they won't do anything Rifles won't do just as well. It's not like your Rapid fire weapons don't exist anymore suddenly.

Imo either take Breachers for your troop slots or Strike Teams with Pulse Rifles as always.

OK just pre-ordered the Dex :wub:  

I'm def going Vior'la , so will get breachers and fish,stealth suits etc...

I have a riptide that was bought for me a while ago, have the standard ion wpn and shield on it...what would be the next weapon system to attach?... missles?...

and is there a help article about commanders etc...coldstars ,fusionstars and ghostkeels are way new to me and I simply have no idea of the best way to use em?!, if anyone can just point me to a write up it would be greatly appreciated :happy.: 

Happy that T'AU are back ...

Oh and Thanks sfPanzer for the sept write up :thumbsup:

cheers, Mithril 

OK just pre-ordered the Dex :wub:

I'm def going Vior'la , so will get breachers and fish,stealth suits etc...

I have a riptide that was bought for me a while ago, have the standard ion wpn and shield on it...what would be the next weapon system to attach?... missles?...

and is there a help article about commanders etc...coldstars ,fusionstars and ghostkeels are way new to me and I simply have no idea of the best way to use em?!, if anyone can just point me to a write up it would be greatly appreciated :happy.:

Happy that T'AU are back ...

Oh and Thanks sfPanzer for the sept write up :thumbsup:

cheers, Mithril

Jump in the breacher infested waters of Vior’la, the waters fine!!! :D I was in the same boat as you since I dropped Tau between 5th and 8th, so hopefully I’ll be able to help.

Ghostkeels are souped up stealth suits, plain and simple. They are mainly there to look scary and soak up damage, so don’t be discouraged if they don’t put out as much as they take. I stray away from the Fusion collider as it’s variable weapon output is upsetting for the amount of points you pay - get fusion elsewhere unless you take it as it’s two support weapons. I run the Ion Raker (got a boost in the Codex) and usually overcharge it whenever possible. Handle medium targets or heavy targets of opportunity with this guy.

Coldstars are the new hotness on the block. They did pretty well in the index by having access to a high output burst cannon (double the shots) combined with an advanced targeting system and a wicked amount of movement. Now they have ascended to Tau God-tier as they are not limited to the default weapons option and can now take what I am dubbing the “Coldfusion” suit. This suit can now take 4 weapons slots and should run 4 fusion blasters. Coupled with any sept, especially Vior’la, this guy becomes absolutely nutty and terrifying as you can advance 40” right next to your opponent’s pride and joy model and melta kick it in the junk :devil:

I personally am running mine with two fusion, the supernova launcher relic (AFP but with better AP and damage), and a shield gen to keep him safe. As a side note, I’m calling him Kor’Val, the flying shark, or Commander Sharknado :P

As for the Riptide, I don’t know what’s best, but it sounds like the new points cost and HBC can absolutely annihilate Infantry. The new Ion accelerator profile is pretty decent too if you need to take down multi wound models.

My suggestion to you is to get your hands on a Coldstar to pimp our like an Apache helicopter, a Fireblade to boost your Fire Scrubs, and a cheap XV8 Commander to babysit your back lines and kick off Kauyon or use command buffs!

it's the continued lack of Jump shoot Jump on all suits which just kills my joy.

Jump-Shoot-Jump killed everyone elses' joy when it existed. Lamenting it's loss is like lamenting having the only nuclear weapons. It was bad for the game.

T'au look pretty cool right now, and I'm honestly tempted to start them when the Codex drops properly.

Oh, well then bs3+ elites shouldn't be so bad then. But apparently they are.

More people are excited about this than me, it's clearly not meant for me, I'm not buying the codex nor will I play with them, but I won't bring anybody's shine down with my bitterness at my army's loss.

Good on you guys.

Edited by Trevak Dal

So far I have 2 start collecting boxes and a Hammerhead with Railgun.

I’m happy with the Tau sept rules and I’ll definitely use Longstrike as I love the look of the grav tanks.

I mainly play vs Tyranids, World Eaters or Sisters of Battle.

So where to go next?