Tau 8th Edition: Codex and the future discussions.

Triszin

So far I have 2 start collecting boxes and a Hammerhead with Railgun.

I’m happy with the Tau sept rules and I’ll definitely use Longstrike as I love the look of the grav tanks.

I mainly play vs Tyranids, World Eaters or Sisters of Battle.

So where to go next?

I guess a Commander is never a bad idea and Stealth Suits offer some unique benefits as well.

The main question tho is ... where do you want to go with your list? T'au lists can look VERY differently depending on what kind of army you want to play.

so

Borkan sept:

Commander is COldstar

Warlord trait: For each hit-roll of 6, that hit gets +1 to the wound roll. No aura, just the Warlord himself.

- 1x High output Burst cannon

- 2x Burst Cannon

- 1x Advanced targeting system

- 1x onager guantlet? for funzees maybe

throwing massive dice, in addition to havving 1 more -ap, and for each 6 getting a +1 to wound.

Sounds good. I'll be doing something similar probably but without the Onager Gauntlet and not Bork'an. I'll just use the second Warlord trait (6s to wound = better AP).

I'd love to give him the Dal'yth signature system for the Stealth Effect but I'm still fighting against playing a Dal'yth detachment. I only want a max of two Septs in my army with one being either FSE or Vior'la for the heavy hitting assault-y part of the army and justifying Dal'yth over Sa'cea for the stealthy part of the army is really hard lol

I’m not entirely sure atm I’m new to Tau.

I’d like to have a solid gunline with a load of Fire Warriors and Kroot, a detachment of Hammerheads (with Longstrike)

Around that I was thinking of including a mobile element of Crisis, Stealth suits, drones and probably a Ghostkeel.

I’ve preordered the codex and cards so I can hopefully get back up to speed.

Would this initial idea work? I’ll probably build my army in 500pt increments so I can learn as it grows.

so

Borkan sept:

Commander is COldstar

Warlord trait: For each hit-roll of 6, that hit gets +1 to the wound roll. No aura, just the Warlord himself.

- 2x Burst Cannon

throwing massive dice, in addition to havving 1 more -ap, and for each 6 getting a +1 to wound.

Based on this review https://youtu.be/ScCYx1-GOZg?t=44m35s you still have keep the missile pod with the high output burst cannon as the wording is the same for changing weapons as the index version for the enforcer and crisis suits as there is no high output burst cannon in the ranged weapons list.

Edited by Stargate_wars

so

Borkan sept:

Commander is COldstar

- 2x Burst Cannon

Based on this review https://youtu.be/ScCYx1-GOZg?t=44m35s you still have keep the missile pod with the high output burst cannon as the wording is the same for changing weapons as the index version for the enforcer and crisis suits as there is no high output burst cannon in the ranged weapons list.

Now that kinda sucks and ruins a lot of potentially awesome builds. :(

so

Borkan sept:

Commander is COldstar

- 2x Burst Cannon

Based on this review

you still have keep the missile pod with the high output burst cannon as the wording is the same for changing weapons as the index version for the enforcer and crisis suits as there is no high output burst cannon in the ranged weapons list.

That’s gotta be false. GW themselves confirmed you could switch out all 4 weapons. If there is an option in the index not the Codex, you are allowed to take it.

Here’s the Warhammer community page:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/09/tau-empire-preview-viorla-septgw-homepage-post-3/

so

Borkan sept:

Commander is COldstar

- 2x Burst Cannon

Based on this review

you still have keep the missile pod with the high output burst cannon as the wording is the same for changing weapons as the index version for the enforcer and crisis suits as there is no high output burst cannon in the ranged weapons list.

That’s gotta be false. GW themselves confirmed you could switch out all 4 weapons. If there is an option in the index not the Codex, you are allowed to take it.

Here’s the Warhammer community page:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/09/tau-empire-preview-viorla-septgw-homepage-post-3/

Yes you can have 4 weapons on it but the option that lets you change the default weapons removes the ability to keep the high output burst cannon as you must give both of them up to take 2 items from ranged weapons and/or support systems in there place which the high output burst cannon is not on any of the list codex or index.

Edited by Stargate_wars

yeah what he said :Troops: :rolleyes:

i wish it wasn't either but they worded it just soooo .... you swap the HBC & missile pod as one set system for 2 other systems :dry.: 

but my question(not being super up to date on T'AU ) is the missile pod really lame? or is it the fact that your not getting that 4 attachment that kinda ruins the equation?...

Mithril  

yeah what he said :Troops: :rolleyes:

i wish it wasn't either but they worded it just soooo .... you swap the HBC & missile pod as one set system for 2 other systems :dry.:

but my question(not being super up to date on T'AU ) is the missile pod really lame? or is it the fact that your not getting that 4 attachment that kinda ruins the equation?...

Mithril  

that makes me a bit sad, ahh well, 3 BC's +ats will do

So...I think I'm going to dip my toe into Tau.

Can anyone give me a starting suggested 1k points?

As for playstyle, I love mechanized infantry, so if there is a viable way to do Fire Warriors/Breachers out of Devilfish, I'd love to have it!

For models, I love pretty much the entire range except;

-Vespids

-Crisis Suits

-Ethereals

-The flyer (razorshark/sunshark?)

-kroot hounds, shapers and riders

That's not to say I wouldn't take some/one of the above if they were absolutely essential, I just wouldn't want the emphasis to be on them.

I like Riptides, Broadsides and Ghostkeels a lot, as well as the basic infantry dudes (including basic Kroot).

The stormsurge and piranahs are 'ok'.

Honestly without the HO-BC the ATS isn't really worth it over another BC.

Ya I'll have to figure something out.

I still have commander TONE, built, AFP, CiB, DC, SHield

So I've got myself 3 unbuilt hammerheads. What should I do for loadouts. Are they worth it at all?

Krash

I'm honestly not sure if they're worth it from a competetive pov. My gut says 'no'. However your best bet would be to take them as T'au Sept detachment, build one as Longstrike and the rest as whatever.

I listened to that vid.

We have to see the wording.

"You can replace High output burst and SMS" for 2 systems.

then it says you can take two more systems. ** this appears to be seperate

depending on wording

COldstar

- High output

- sms

- ATS

- Burstcannon

might be viable depending on wording,

Coldstar

- Fusion

- Fusion (blade)

- Shield

- afp

----

there was also a rumor stating that if you were to take the High output burst it has a limit of x1 on the coldstar loadout

Edited by Triszin

It also depends on whether the HO-BC is listed together with the other weapons or not (just with an added "Coldstar only. One per Coldstar").

Either way its not that big a deal. The missile pod actually has a decent profile it's just overcosted by 6-8 points. Taking a 6-8 point 'tax' on a coldstar is not too painful, I think we could argue that the coldstar is a little undercosted itself.

It also depends on whether the HO-BC is listed together with the other weapons or not (just with an added "Coldstar only. One per Coldstar").

Either way its not that big a deal. The missile pod actually has a decent profile it's just overcosted by 6-8 points. Taking a 6-8 point 'tax' on a coldstar is not too painful, I think we could argue that the coldstar is a little undercosted itself.

I disagree. I play the Colstar every game and the Missile Pod is trash. What hurts aren't the points but the slot it occupies.

Here is the list in StrikingScorpion82 vid

https://youtu.be/ScCYx1-GOZg?t=14m41s

Unfortunately impossible to read.

Okay I got the Codex and just wanted to confirm that if you want to equip your Coldstar with the HO-BC then you're stuck with the MP as well. You only get them as pair but if you don't care about the HO-BC you can take 4 of any combination of weapons and support systems (excluding CIBs).

Okay I got the Codex and just wanted to confirm that if you want to equip your Coldstar with the HO-BC then you're stuck with the MP as well. You only get them as pair but if you don't care about the HO-BC you can take 4 of any combination of weapons and support systems (excluding CIBs).

a bit disappointing. still opens up to some interesting kit loadouts.

any interesting Lore bits around:

Tau encountering Primaris

Tau thoughts on Primarchs/Deamon primarchs

Auxillaries