Multimelta spitball wishlist idea thing

Atrus

The multimelta i feel is a tad over costed for what it does.

Granted 24"range is nice but thats where the benefit ends.

I just had a random thought on what i think would be an interesting change to it.

Instead of being Heavy 1 24"range. How would people feel if it was instead Heavy 2 (got two barrels) 12" range.

Bit of a big divergeance from what it is but i think itd be interesting?

The multimelta i feel is a tad over costed for what it does.

Granted 24"range is nice but thats where the benefit ends.

I just had a random thought on what i think would be an interesting change to it.

Instead of being Heavy 1 24"range. How would people feel if it was instead Heavy 2 (got two barrels) 12" range.

Bit of a big divergeance from what it is but i think itd be interesting?

I don't think that would be great. Then it's just a dual meltagun, that gets -1 to hit if you move. At least the current version gives you a much greater range, and the increased chance of damage within 12". Assault 2, then we could talk. But keeping it Heavy while reducing the range would eliminate them from play, I think.

I honestly think it's just over-costed.

The fact that the grav cannon has the same range, basically same cost, nearly the same average damage vs heavy targets, and much much higher damage vs infantry just means it's heavily over costed.

Like melta in general, it's just heavily outperformed by plasma.

Plasma should realistically be 17 pts, melta should be 13, or some variation.

Being good at putting wounds on big targets and really bad at everything else shouldn't cost more than the "kill everything" statline of plasma.

Though at least melta *has* something it's good at. Regular Flamers are just bad, Heavy Flamers are kinda mediocre, hand flamers are a joke.

I do think the ones on dreads need a boost though, a 100+ pt model shouldn't be packing a gun a regular infantryman can lug around just fine.

But that's not unique to the mm there, missile launchers and plasma cannons too.

Just play Salamanders. I know I do ; )

In all seriousness while it's not a terrible idea I think the MM is fine as-is - 24" is big enough that a unit in the centre of the field can actually stop moving and still use it... 12" would mean that it's only really viable on mobile units. Of course amongst vehicles, 24" really is short range... I'd certainly like the option for a Heavy 2 Multi-melta, but I don't think it's needed; stock dreads seems about right points/effectiveness wise. Fury of the Ancients or whatever that stratagem is is super fun.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Dear gods, do something for the poor melta family in general. Good suggestions in this thread. There's no reason melta weapons should be so expensive. Short range, inconsistent damage, single shot (for the most part)... blah.

In the deep days of yore the Multi-melta used to drop a 2" blast marker, which if you mounted it on a Dreadnought chassis you could flare out to a heavy flamer template.

With this in mind, it's supportable to give it d3 attacks like many other small blast weapons.

D6 reroll isn't terrible. I do work with my melta sisters.

Multi meltas need to be cheaper, though, since the extra range is nice, but not at 37 pts for a t3 3+ w1 model.

I always wanted two firing modes for meltas.

Blast (close range)

Lance, mid to long range

Necrons only melta weapon does that.

It's a 2 shot multi melta, or a heavy flamer.

In 7th, it was great, because HF were awsome, and it let the walker deal with infantry, since it couldn't in melee.

Now it's kinda crap, as it doesn't have any other guns, so d6 hits with an ok weapon from a 130+ pt model is terrible, or a proper dread fist, it's melee is only str7 -1 ap in the index I think.

But not a bad idea if tweaked.

If a MM was assault 1 "Focused Mode" being regular shots, and "Dispersed Mode" being something like Assault D3, 12", Str 6, -2 AP, D3 damage, when within half range, roll twice for damage and pick higher, be pretty cool.

So a MM still messes up elite infantry, thought not as well as a Grav cannon, but it at least it isn't totally left in the dust.

If it was a heavy version of rapid 1 it would be cool. So at 24 you get heavy 1 2d6 damage pick the highest at 12 within 12 you get heavy 2 2d6 pick the highest.

I'd like that if it also got a special rule to give it a -1 to hit if you moved.

Make it into a vicious area denial weapon.