Interlude I: Isstvan V

"Vessel dropping from the Warp! Ident reads as Night Lords vessel! Vergas-class light frigate! Lances are spooled up!" 

"Raise shields! Bring us about and alert the Captain!"

"CEASE YOUR ACTIONS. THIS VESSEL HAS BEEN COMMANDEERED BY THE IRON TENTH. WE BEAR WARNING FROM THE ISSTVAN SYSTEM. FOUR MORE LEGIONS HAVE BETRAYED THE EMPEROR. EVEN THE SONS OF LORGAR ARE AGAINST US! FERRUS MANUS LIES DEAD UPON THE BLACK SANDS. "

"Throne. Should we tell them? They must have been lost five years. Poor bastards. Open a channel."

41701417304_c40c6c6459_z.jpg

[unidentified XVIII Legionary]

The Lion's looking even better with some paint on him.

Thank you! Will posting up two different heads for review sometime this week. 

The tiltshield doesn't look :censored: but it could benefit from a bit of TLC to neaten it up. Also, not sure on the red gem at the centre of his chestplate. How about a blue one instead?

I'm just not happy with the icon tbh. The blue just feels slightly out of place in that position. I think I may stay red on the gem. No other color seems like it'd fit! Thank you foryour suggestions though, I may experiement with blue!

Looking Good:thumbsup:  ,the tiltshield looks ok just a wee-bit touch up.:smile.: . Leave the gem red .

Thanks brother!

The lion is looking fantastic!

Much appreciated! 

I'll add my voice to the chorus, the Lion is looking great! The side pictures almost make it look like two different miniatures, which I think fits with his moral dilemma on the burden of duty.

Thanks! Yeah! If I'm honest, thats a favorite part of split schemes, they look like two different models depending on the angle. Very fun in pictures and on the table. 

Now that would make for an interesting story. Five years riding the warp when it was at its craziest again (I'm trying to remember HH fluff but the warp got stormy again, right?) then pop out too late to deliver an urgent message.

The Salamander is also looking great. Seeing some battle damage and sweet freehand work!

PART 2: MORTIS

41852914704_707e1725bf_z.jpg

WARNING. 

WARNING. 

REANIMATION PROTOCOLS IN EFFECT.

PRAISE BE TO THE OMNISSIAH! 

BLESSED IS HIS IRON!

BLESSED IS THE MACHINE!

BEGIN THE RITES OF RESURRECTION!

THE BLESSED IRONFORM MUST WALK!

PRAISE BE TO THE PRIMARCH!

PRAISE BE TO THE MACHINE GOD!

41853181354_097b693ff6_z.jpg

[Venerable Mortis Castiñeiras de Compostela]

I. WAKE. DOES. THE. PRIMARCH. CALL. FOR. ME?

Edited by Vazzy

STOMP STOMP STOMP

Can't wait to see him painted. :thumbsup: That Salamander looks good, too. A one-off or are more planned?

Oh there's some Shattered Legions in the pipe!

Love that narrative that accompanies that dread!

Thanks brother!

The standard, decorated with the Tyranid's remains, looks great! Did the Venerable Dreadnought kill it himself?

I'll explain it in the full story soon!

41852786484_c5e60d7853_z.jpg

They'd told me that Dreadnoughts didn't dream. 

Suspended Animation. You sleep a dreamless slumber and awake as if not time has passed.

They were wrong. I dream the same dream every time. My 'death'. My first death. It was on Nesphsu III. The hive mind of the insects had already razed two planets in the system, and I was part of the task force that was assigned to exterminate them. With extreme prejudice. They had no names, no identity. We had never seen them before, though their bio-acid rounds did quite a number on the armies of the Imperium. I was Sergeant Anton  Castiñeiras at that point. I was born on Talassar to House Compostela, and bore the heraldry on my shin. My tactical squad had been flanked by some of their warrior caste, and we were being overrun. My gladius had been left in the ribplate of one such warrior, and I was done to my last magazine at that point. I never saw the beast who ended my life until his scythes had split open my breastplate, gutting me.I repaid him of course. The Corpse decorates my standard even now, the black and orange carapace crucified between two banners of Ultramar. 

The first time I awoke, I was unaware of where I was. It was prior to the Vedra campaign. I saw my Captain, though not Tauro or Ixion as I'd expected. It was Fidelitas, youngest of our senior captains, though also one of the most accomplished. He was solemn, and perhaps atouch nervous. 

"I. LIVE."

"I...yes."

"I. AM. MORTIS. PATTERN?"

"Yes. Your accuracy could not be wasted in the afterlife brother."

"TAURO. IS. DEAD. THEN? YOU. ARE. IN. COMMAND?"

"He fell six months ago."

"IXION?"

"He lives. Leading his terminator elite still. He has requested your aid in his missions."

I. ACCEPT. HE. AND. I. ARE. GOOD. FRIENDS."

"So be it. Good day Ancient."

Ancient Castiñeiras would be one of Strike Force Alpha's greatest assets. His wisdom, tactical acumen and marksmanship would paly a vital role in helping drive back the skirmishers sent forth by the XVI legion. His pounding autocannons would be the backbone of Ixion's force, supressing skimmers, and knocking out opposing air support before they knew what had hit them. Castiñeiras had be awoken above Calth, supporting his old friend in driving back the Word Bearer raiding parties aboard the Libertas Reginam.  Castiñeiras would see out the Heresy, and would fight well into the Scouring. His Ironform has been seen as recently as the the Shattered Suns intervention during the Nova Terra crisis, though whether or not Castiñeiras is still the occupant has yet to be determined. 

In any case, the dreadnought registered over 25 aircraft kills and nearly 100 skimmer destructions. Reports from traitor prisoners make it clear that Castiñeiras was a dreaded figure amongst his opponent, and that XX legion kill teams were considered to eliminate him. They would be...unsuccessful. Lord Guilliman would recognize the heroism of the Dreadnought, allowing him to be a part of his vanguard during the Iron Cage incident. 

42634451331_8ab38e57c7_z.jpg

[Castra-Ferrum pattern chassis. Note segmented armor plates. Castiñeiras was fond of additional plating to prevent damage to essential systems]

40826541270_85024615ea_z.jpg

[Mars-Pattern Autocannons. Standard loadout]

40826541250_9bf527d321_z.jpg

[Compostela Tilt Shield]

Fantastic dread and accompanying background! Might I ask brother, do you happen to hail from Galicia? While not from there, I have come to appreciate that place quite a bit, and I've actually incorporated the Cruz de Santiago as a heraldry motif for my HH project. Nice to see such a detail pop up in your thread!

Fantastic dread and accompanying background! Might I ask brother, do you happen to hail from Galicia? While not from there, I have come to appreciate that place quite a bit, and I've actually incorporated the Cruz de Santiago as a heraldry motif for my HH project. Nice to see such a detail pop up in your thread!

Elzender, this is where I came in... I first visited Galicia in 1995, and then in 2015 did the Camino de Santiago. I also have one of my DIY chapters (loosely known as Knights of the Golden Sword but I’m not 100% sold on that name) which incorporates the Espada of Saint James into their heraldry.

If you read up, Vazzy has a fondness for Valladolid but for me it’s Compostela that captured my heart. Though, Spain is full of beautiful medieval cities. I also rate Toledo and Córdoba very highly, and of course Granada.

This is all really good; the model looks great but what I really love is the fluff you’ve written. Honoured to have made a (very) small contribution to your project.

Thanks Zebulon! I really appreciate your comments, as well as the influence that you had on the project.

The Dreadnought looks great! His backstory reads well- I'm surprised the Tyranid trophy was taken before he was entombed.

Thanks Bjorn! I mean it did kill him. It's something of a macabre trophy. 

I don't! I've visited when I was living in Spain though! Very beautiful place!

Elzender, this is where I came in... I first visited Galicia in 1995, and then in 2015 did the Camino de Santiago. I also have one of my DIY chapters (loosely known as Knights of the Golden Sword but I’m not 100% sold on that name) which incorporates the Espada of Saint James into their heraldry.

If you read up, Vazzy has a fondness for Valladolid but for me it’s Compostela that captured my heart. Though, Spain is full of beautiful medieval cities. I also rate Toledo and Córdoba very highly, and of course Granada.

Fondness is correct. The fact that Valladolid may be promoted has me very excited. I loved Segovia when I was there for sure!

Dang! *scrathing my head* Swore I posted in here saying that the Dread looks awesome! The paint job is great and I love how the standard fits the fluff! Then onto that I love the fluff bits and something about awakening dreads just hit the right spot for me. Dead heroes rising again to do battle, Their waking moments are in preparation for war. Something about that always makes for a great read.

The sky is on fire and my father lies dead upon the black sands of this world. My brothers are dying around me, their black armor split open by bolt fire. But not from the front, no, the rounds tear through our back, gouts of gore and shrapnel exploding outward. This cannot be opening. Konor falls, his face a gaping ruin, the clear blue lenses of his helm is spider webbed. It is an apt allegory for my psyche. The bright steel armor of the Iron Warriors glitters as time seems to stretch before me. Bolt shells scythe through my unit, and my brothers fall upon the sands. Sounds reach as if in a tunnel, or submerged. A bolt shell ricochets off of my brother, and collides with me. Blackness rushes forward. 

I come to, being dragged by Sergi, and an unknown warrior of the XVIIIth. Sergi's vox array bristles on his back, and over our squad link I hear him bellowing for Thunderhawk extraction. We stop behind the burnt out hull of a rhino carrier, and I see that three more of squad Vestros live. They are suppressing the advancing force, along with two of the Salamander, one wielding a vape gun to great effect. There is a ringing in my ears, and I feel Sergi slap me. 

"WAKE UP. DAMN YOU, FOCUS!"

I stand, taking boltgun from one of my brothers. There is no time to mourn. No time to reflect on what has been lost. My father is dead. My legion is dying. I will soon be dead. My teeth curl back from my lips as the bolter bucks in my hands. My mind is shattered, but I find if I focus on the cold rage, I can function. My name is Isen Vestros, Son to a murdered father, brother to a dying legion, and I will have my Vengeance. In this life or the next. 

The Isstvan V massacre would be the first of many crippling battles for the legions loyal to the Emperor. Squad Vestros had not been part of the initial Avernii assault, and would instead be one of the first units deployed in the second wave, ensuring the landing zone would be held. It is this quirk of fate that allowed them to effect any escape at all, though 75% of the unit would fall in the opening seconds of the betrayal. Their Sergeant, Isen Vestros, would lead a fighting retreat, along with members of the XVIII and XIX legion. Twice, the ragtag squad would find itself cut off and surrounded, but both times Vestros would lead a breakout. The Sergeants fanaticism in killing the traitors was unmatched, and by the time the unit managed to hijack a Night Lords frigate, he had amassed over 250 confirmed kills. Fleeing the Isstvan system, he vowed to return with a force that would see the death of the Warmaster. Thus they set course for Ultramar following raids on two nearby systems for survivors and supplies. Fate would laugh at the Iron Hands determination, and Vestros arrived in Ultramar to learn he was far too late to prevent any of the many massacres committed by the Traitors. 

Ixion would welcome the Shattered legionaries, but found that at the best of times, Vestros was unstable, and likely demonstrating Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, (something the legions refuse to accept can happen them). Rarely would Ixion allow for Vestros be be used in the Order of Battle, often simply allowing the Iron Hand to maraud across the battlefield, defending the back line from counter attacks. 

28873407358_888ef9699e_z.jpg

[isen Vestros- Clan Sorrgol]

42747155371_a489ee365f_z.jpg

[Vox-Operator Sergi-Clan Sorrgol]

42029481544_3964628ef3_z.jpg

[Extensive battle damage and bionics typical for X Legion forces during the Heresy]

40936065870_eef4bfbe3f_z.jpg

[Clan Markings- Clan Sorrgol]

42747104461_784c29c88c_z.jpg

[Xor'bek Tal- Assault Cadre Chimerae]

27877642887_176f81d376_z.jpg

[Xor'bek would be one of the two Salamanders to escape Isstvan with Vestros. He would be something of a reasonable voice amongst the shattered unit, tempering the fury of his de-facto sergeant.]

Edited by Vazzy

Those are some great Iron Hands, especially the bronze stripe down Vestros' helm.

Thanks! Honestly I think it looks better in photos hahah! Really like painting them tbh

The narrative and accompanying minis are shaping up beautifully!

Thanks Hushrong! Appreciate the comment. 

Well done. Using Maximus' dialogue from Ridley Scott's 'Gladiator' is appropriate, but why use music from 'Mass Effect 3' instead?

Well, for one I'm not really a fan of Gladiators OST, feels a bit too positive! Truth be told, I usually listen to hip hop when I work on these, and I really doubt they'd go over well on the BnC all things considered hahah. Leaving Earth is good betrayal song imo. 

PART 3: The Eaters of Worlds

The serf walks through the corridors of the XII vessel. She is young, barely out of her teens. Her face is lean, and an ugly scar mars her otherwise normal features. Her blond hair is pulled back tight to her scalp, and her legion jumpsuit is stained by grease, and more...biological stains. It is baggy, for it was not hers, but her predecessors. The hallways reeks of rotting meat, and the sickly sweat smell of decay. Dried blood has turned the decking a rusty brown,and in the distance she hears the rev of chainblades and screaming. The bulkhead before her has a streak of blood across it, and small fane of skulls is arranged in a sigil that makes her nauseous.  She raps on the steel door twice, and steps back as it grinds open. 

A wave of thick crimson liquid rolls sluggishly over her boots, followed by a number of skulls. She scowls, and straightens her collar before entering. The floor is tacky with drying blood, and the metal seems to suck at her boots. The warrior inside has his back to her, and is prostrate in prayer. She waits. Interrupting would spell death. The warrior wears dirty white armor, with various plates the color of dried gore. His helm is iron pattern, crested by a long topknot.Two axes lean against the wall. She fears those axes. More than once, they have slain one of her order. The Astartes turns, rising to his full height. He is large, larger than an average brother of the legions, his flesh 'enhanced' by the butcher. His hands clench and unclench constantly, and he paces like a caged animal.

"Y-you...hngghh...reek of fear mortal. It is...intoxicating." His voice is the boom of thunder, tinged with an edge of mania. 

She swallows. "Lord...Captain Castus has ordered you to the bridge...XIII legion vessels have been spotted."

'Hnghh...Ultramarines? Hehhehe. I so love the color of blood on their armor- I..."

His body spasms, and suddenly, the bloodred lenses focus on her. She notes the twitching has paused...as has the pacing. The serf realizes she is in danger, but her legs do not wish to obey her desire to flee. A growl rumbles from the towering monster, wet, as if he is choking on his own saliva. She would not be shocked if this was the case. The words her murmurs however, turn her heart to ice. 

"Kill...Maim...Burn...Blood- hnggghhhh...Blood for the Blood God." 

She is never afforded the opportunity to flee. The World Eater surges forward, and before she can blink, before she can even scream, her body is bifurcated, her lower half spinning into the gloom, while her murderer bathes in the blood, laughing like a mad man. He marches from the room, not even deigning to remove the corpse. 

That is the tenth one in as many days...

28023212997_44998c54c9_z.jpg

42173847994_a892c933aa_z.jpg

41991766605_0df33f166b_z.jpg