Indy's Indignant: my evil undead space robots

Indefragable

UPDATE: 11 June 2018

-added theme song

-added first Immortals, Destroyer, Heavy Destroyer test models

Hi all,

This is my thread to track all things Necron that I am getting into. Blood Angels are my true passion, and in scientific measuring terms, I have a :censored: ton of them. As such, they are far beyond the scope of being able to track progress. I also at one point had White Scars, Dark Angels, Imperial Guard, and Inquisition. For life reasons I am down to BA and soon-to-be Necrons.

Long-story-short, this thread is my attempt at doing 40k "the right way:"  methodical, and allowing myself no more than 1-2 games to play test builds. Otherwise, everything MUST be fully painted before playing with it.

Motivation...aka "why I play Necrons"

Hidden Content

To be updated.

I think this type of statement can be important. When you're burned out painting Minion # 57 or you just got Smite'd off the board by Walter Arthur Aardvark Chesterton, the Cheese Player Extraordinaire, sometimes you need to remind yourself of what you find fun and inspiring about a given force.

Theme song:

Irving Force - Overlord

Hidden Content

The right balance of heavy industrial machine beats and imposing dread, with just enough quirkiness/silliness to match the "lost my brain in hypersleep" aspect of the Necrons

My stuff  Last update: 2018/04/27

Hidden Content

HQ:

Catacomb Command Barge - ASSEMBLY IN PROGRESS

Lord - PRIMED

Cryptek w/ cloak - PRIMED

Destroyer Lord - back-ordered

TROOPS:

28x Warriors - PRIMED; test models 75% painted

10x Immortals w/ Tesla - PRIMED, test models in progress

10x Immortals - UNASSEMBLED (will go more Tesla)

ELITES

5x Praetorians w/ particle caster + voidblade - PRIMED, test model in progress

5x Praetorians or Lychguard - UNASSEMBLED

FAST ATTACK

3x Cryptek Wraiths - ASSEMBLY IN PROGRESS

3x Cryptek Wraiths - UNASSEMBLED

3x Destroyers - PRIMED; test model in progress

7x Canoptek Scarab Swarms - ASSEMBLED

7x Canoptek Scarab Swarms - UNASSEMBLED

HEAVY SUPPORT

9x Heavy Destroyers - UNASSEMBLED*

*ok, so I'm very disappointed with the resin quality for the HD upgrade kits...I ordered 9 (!!!) of them and not single one arrived straight.

Plan:

Right now I am leaning towards Mephrit. Partially because Blood Angels, partially because the idea of S4 AP-2 blobs of Warriors, or tesla Immortals with exploding 6's that are also AP-1 at half range sounds pretty cool.

At this moment I'm getting up and running, so not much to add. I'm torn between the following sorts of builds:

A. Grey Tide sort of build,

B. "Will of the Silent King:" a surprisingly mobile force built around Praetorians, Dreadnoughts Stalkers, Wraiths, and other things that can move faster than most opponents would expect

C. sort of a combo of the two with dual Monoliths + dual Night Scythes to really get dudes right up in the opponent's face

Finally....

...anyone have any tips or tricks to painting Mephrit colors?

The trick is going to be getting that slightly metallic, slightly dull-green color right.

Hidden Content

s-l225.jpg

20837136_1996064340627823_69024463952826

16584006_594432694086858_295425974092378

ba-data4-Copy1.jpg

SoB-Ex-Zarathusa.jpg

necrons-new-01-1.jpg

http://korphome.ru/warhammer40k/img/PHhFLDF9QEA.jpg

I don't know the"proper" way to paint that green, but I have three ideas I've tried in the past with varying success.

First, buy a pot of paint and mix a light silver in. This changes the hue though so hard to get just right.

Second, paint it metal and wash it green. This looks great but again can be hard to get exactly the right shade (would also be way more metallic than those pics show).

Third, and easiest, paint it green and highlight with metal. Do a blunt normal highlight and then a very fine metallic. It looks good, in my opinion.

As to play styles, silver tide had been pretty trashy for me. Our troops aren't very cheap, but they are pretty easy to kill. When I have units of 20 warriors, my opponents rarely leave one injured to get back up. In 8th it's not that hard to kill 20 t4 4+ models.

I love the fast and brutal style. Wraiths are a great distraction unit, since they (for now) are very durable for their cost but don't accomplish much. They are great for tying units to keep them from shooting, absorbing firepower that could hurt other stuff, changing opponent movement plans. Tomb Blades and Destroyers are ok if they don't get shot at too much. I do like having a small flotilla of Destroyers with a Destroyer Lord cruising around. They can take an ok amount of punishment (as long as it's not d2 or more) but they can also kill a lot. Tomb blades will be amazing soon if those leaks are legit.

Lychguard are crazy hard hitting with Scythes. Give a Cryptek the Veil and zap them into charge range to kill something tough. 20 s7 ap4 d2 hits makes short work of enemy elites!

Deathmarks are ok. I hated them for awhile because I was forgetting to add their MWs. Now they've put enough wounds onto Warlords and various characters that my opponents play badly to avoid them sometimes, which is fine with me. So while I don't love Deathmarks, I think giving them a shot isn't a bad idea.

Stalkers are decent. The particle shredder is on its way to becoming my favorite gun for them. The reroll buff is good too. Very costly for what you get, though.

Scythes kind of suck right now. They have uses but it's easy to bring one down and possible to bring two down so I rarely use Night Scythes because I only have 2. Doom Scythes aren't reliable enough since D3 shots hitting on 4 too easily means no hits. They'll be better after the codex though.

Monoliths really suck right now, and might not get better if those leaks are legit and up to date. I only have one but I have yet to have it survive a single turn. Two probably would but that's almost 800 points...

<snip>

Great feedback, Tyriks. Thanks!

What's your experience with Gauss vs Tesla Immortals?  I'm leaning towards Tesla just because "make them roll 1's" seems the way to go when 6's = 3 Hits. +1 To Hit from MWBD makes it that much better, and then AP-1  < 12" with Mephrit is just gravy.

Based on my Own + Plan to Purchase units, I'm thinking 2x20 Warrior blobs + 1x10 Immortal for Troops, and then fill in the rest with Scarabs (love me that Self Destruction Stratagem!), Wraiths, Heavy Destroyers, etc...

Torn between Lychguard and Praetorians, though I think Praetorians are more useful overall with their mobility, especially if you can get Anrakyr to join them.

Exciting stuff, looking forward to see your progress on this project!

As for the green, it doesn't look metallic to me (going by the pictures you posted). If you want a metallic element to it I would go with Tyriks's third suggestion and use silver as an edge highlight, to represent where paint has worn / chipped off the metal underneath.

But if you just want it drab / olive green, then I would go with the Citadel paint app recommendation:

IMG_0475.png

I wrote up a lot of info about this in the thread Mathcrons. But to sum it up shortly, Tesla is better against most targets with MWBD since it goes off on 5s, meaning 10 Immortals average 30 hits. Without MWBD Gauss is better usually (except against stuff like Daemons and Harlequins).

The more I read up, the more I'm liking the idea of Praetorians + Anrakyr and maybe a Monolith. Yea, Monoliths suck (for now?), but they can A. be a distraction carnifex B. fill out a potential brigade better than a Night Scythe C. are iconic.

The more I dig into it the more I lean Praetorians over Lychguard: I like the mobility (son of Baal, and all...) and having the Voidblades (+1A) seems much more useful than Assault 1 S5 shooting. Add in Anrakyr's supposed new ability to add +1A and +1 To Hit/+1" to Charge, and it seems like a perfect pairing. Just need to be able to warp him in where the 'torians are.

Also thematic, going with the whole Will of the Silent King thing that ties into Mephrit's role in the Shield of Baal campaign.

Anrakyr already buffs them so that's a safe bet.

The problem with Praetorians is partly the cost but it's not that much worse than Lychguard with Scythes. But the big issue is they lack Dynasty keywords. So they can't ride monoliths or Scythes, they can't be targeted by the Veil and you need either Imotekh or Anrakyr for MWBD which exascerbates the cost issue. So while they're more mobile in a vacuum, they're actually less mobile in the context of our army. I've had great success getting Lychguard in with Veil + MWBD for that +1. An 8" charge isn't too bad with a possible CP reroll. Getting a scary assault unit 40" or more without getting shot up seems a lot less likely.

So while praetorians are an amazing bully unit if they make it in, (and look better to boot, can't wait to get some blade/caster ones built), I've never been particularly successful with mine. Meanwhile, my Lychguard are a well-feared unit, having successfully vivisected many tough opponents. So, Praetorians are not necessarily a bad choice, but I'd recommend at least picking up both.

Next question, kind of a far - sweeping one about the model kits themselves:

Which kits would generally need to have custom-colored rods swapped in instead of the default neon green ones, and which ones can just be painted?

Looks like Warriors and Destroyers have to have the rods while Immortals and most others can be painted.

Monoliths and a lot of the characters have rods also. I don't remember which characters though as I finished building mine awhile ago.

I just glued my rods in before priming and have painted over them. Looks fine, my group thinks. I'll add some lighting effects when the army is mostly painted. I say this because I ordered some custom colored ones to replace some damaged ones and none that I ordered were quite the colors advertised.

• 2 weeks later...

Two builds I am leaning towards the moment. Both of these are built in Battlescribe using Index points, so they are not final

A: Land and Sea

Hidden Content

Land & Sea

Aka Hammer and Anvil

1972pts 7CP (3 + 3 +1)

Necron Battalion +3CP

HQ:

Catacomb Command Barge

-Staff of Light

-Tesla Cannon

Cyptek

-Staff of Light

-Cloak

TROOPS:

Necron Warriors x 20

Immortals x 10

-Tesla Carbines

Immortals x 10

-Gauss Blasters

Necron Outride Detachment +1CP

HQ:

Destroyer Lord

-Staff of Light

-Resurrection Orb

FAST ATTACK:

Canoptek Wraiths x 3

Canoptek Wraiths x 3

Destroyers x 4

-Heavy Destroyer

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Heavy Destroyer x 3

Heavy Destroyer x 3

Pretty basic concept: the Troops march up the middle (the "army") while the Destroyers and Wraiths zip around the edges murdering everything (the "navy"; hence the Land & Sea thing). This is shaping up to be how I mostly want to play them...but man does it feel brittle!

If they actually arrive...I should have 13x Destroyer bodies...would it be better to go mixed squads for resiliency?

B : Grey Tide

Hidden Content

Grey Tide

1994pts 7CP (3+ 3 + 1)

Necron Battalion +3CP

HQ:

Anaryky the Traveller

Lord

TROOPS:

Necron Warriors x 20

Necron Warriors

Immortals x 10

-Tesla carbine

Immortals x 10

-Tesla carbine

Immortals x 5

-Guass Blasters

Immortals x 5

-Guass Blasters

ELITES:

Lychguard x 10

-Warscythes

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Heavy Destroyers x 1

Heavy Destroyers x 1

Heavy Destroyers x 1

Outrider Detachment +1CP

HQ:

Cyptek

FAST ATTACK:

Canoptek Scarab Swarms x 3

Pretty straightforward: like the Greek phalanxes of yore, the grey tide marches forward with scarabs to prevent deep strikers from being too effective. Anrakyr is an abolsolute beast in this configuration, turning those Troops into scary units with his +1A, not to mention the Lychguard!

The Troops will pretty much never die (especially if could find ways to get Ghost Arks in), but the rest of the list is pretty brittle. If I could do a 4th HQ choice, I could up things to 2x Battalions to get that sweet extra 3CP.

Not sure how serious I am on this one, but attempting to make the classic Grey Tide work.

• 2 weeks later...

That really sucks. I haven’t ordered any yet myself, but have read similar complaints. I’d suggest trying to send them back for replacements, but if 9 are bad, I’d have my doubts about number 10.

Good luck straightening them out!

Gonna try...I mean, it sure beats having banana cannons on your Destroyers who hate all life.

Yeah, the upgrade kit costs too much for a model that doesn't look great to start with so I'm looking for conversion options.

If i recall i just trimmed off the rod body of another Gauss cannon and stuck it onto the end of a Destroyer's gun so it was one long Destroyer cannon.

i'll post a pic tomorrow if someone wants to see..

Mithril 

I appreciate the tips. I was gonna hijack the idea of using Stalker heavy gauss bits...

...but the Customer Service rep at GW US CustServ is going to personally inspect the next batch of upgrade kits and send me ones that are not bent. Can’t really back out of that arrangement!

It must be reiterated that GW resin is hit or miss, and their rules-writing can be questionable, but their Customer Service really is top notch!

Good luck with the upgrades :thumbsup:

another idea i had for just plain destroyers was Spare Immortal Tesla Carbines? and to make a fitting for putting 4 Green rods into them and having them look like Gauss mini Guns :cool.: 

Cheers,Mithril 

Got some paint to models.

Not done yet, but here's progress on some test warriors for color scheme.

• Prime black
  • Leadbelcher all over
  • Leadbelcher + Abaddon Black for weapon
  • Deathworld Forest for shoulder pads
  • Nuln oil all over
  • Jokaero Orange for energy parts of weapon

Test Warriors Front

Test Warriors Close Up 1

Test Warriors Close Up 2

Test warriors Rear

On a different note, does anyone have experience with the Leadbelcher spray? I'm considering it to save some time on slapping it by hand all over every model. However, my concern is that I have found the human imperfections that come from hand-brushing over black primer are often part of what give a model it's depth. My concern is that spray-coating Leadbelcher may work too well, if that makes sense.

It is awesome. I find you have to be careful putting too much on, as the non black primers go on a little heavier.(gummed up some Primaris Marines with the Macragge blue)

But the time savings are great. Well worth the cost.

Good to know. Will probably pick up a can today.

I'm thinking of doing it kind of deliberately sloppy and from further away then usually so that it does not get into the nooks and cranneys the way you want it to when priming.

Archived