Expectations of the new Codex

Kaldoth

They have a Dakka Dakka already. But how about +1 to hit for ever CP spent on the stratagem. Up to +4 to hit. 

That could work. Would help reduce the negatives to hit. But you would only be able to use it once per turn so you would just end up using it on tank bustas and all the rest of your dakka will auto miss. 

They have a Dakka Dakka already. But how about +1 to hit for ever CP spent on the stratagem. Up to +4 to hit. 

That could work. Would help reduce the negatives to hit. But you would only be able to use it once per turn so you would just end up using it on tank bustas and all the rest of your dakka will auto miss. 

Exactly, it's all about having to make the choice, except where are you getting the autto miss from?  

I personally would like it, even the ones you and Triszin came up with for my shock attack gun. which needs a little help. 

I've suggested a "Wall of Dakka" rule since launch, because even a single -1 modifier to hit cuts Ork shooting in half. Considering our army has almost 0 re-roll auras, I don't think it would be too much to just suggest that Orks should ignore negative hit modifiers in shooting. With that alone, I think our shooting would fall into line where it should be: lots of dice, high variance.

Adding more BS and/or re-roll auras isn't a great fix I feel, because both would greatly increase the upper end of our variance, and I feel that would restrict other options GW could use for individual weapons/units.

I've suggested a "Wall of Dakka" rule since launch, because even a single -1 modifier to hit cuts Ork shooting in half. Considering our army has almost 0 re-roll auras, I don't think it would be too much to just suggest that Orks should ignore negative hit modifiers in shooting. With that alone, I think our shooting would fall into line where it should be: lots of dice, high variance.

Adding more BS and/or re-roll auras isn't a great fix I feel, because both would greatly increase the upper end of our variance, and I feel that would restrict other options GW could use for individual weapons/units.

Fair assumption. I could see the "Wall of Dakka" rule being very useful and effective. After all they are Orks. They are not really ever aiming. They just shoot really and sometimes the shooting hits enemies.

Another thread that brought up Grot snipers got closed, I want to share the image it gave me for a model I'd love to see as an actual model now. You have one grot gunner laying prone, one standing on top of the gun with a spyglass as the scope, and one acting as the bipod, straining underneath the barrel. This would make me happy.

Did we mention a stratagem for fighting twice yet? And one for shooting twice. I'm thinking, combo with the Flashfitz so they could shoot twice and maybe shoot two more times after that.. Brilliant. 

Yesterday I was thinking it would be cool to get a super heavy flyer. A blast Bomba in plastic.  Maybe it can do several bombing runs in a single turn, Or a random number of bombs are dropped, D3 or D6.  These would do mortal wounds like the other bombs.

I'd love a shooty Ork force. BS +1 across the board.

Also, Robot-y Ghaziman Prime Ork!

Orks have always been shooty. Just with sheer number of dice instead of outright efficiency. Points drop on some units, improvements to our variable shot weapons, and some way to mitigate negative to-hit modifiers is all we really need.

Did we mention a stratagem for fighting twice yet? And one for shooting twice. I'm thinking, combo with the Flashfitz so they could shoot twice and maybe shoot two more times after that.. Brilliant. 

Yesterday I was thinking it would be cool to get a super heavy flyer. A blast Bomba in plastic.  Maybe it can do several bombing runs in a single turn, Or a random number of bombs are dropped, D3 or D6.  These would do mortal wounds like the other bombs.

actually made me think of a neat strategem

Orks are remarkably sturbborn, even when missing portions of the body they continue fighting. As a result sometimes fighting an ork with it missing half of its body is still a problem

Gork then Mork?

CP 3

Choose one  infantry unit on the table. Any Ork model this turn that has its HP reduced to zero instead has its HP reduced to 1. That units HP cannot be reduced below 1 until the end of the phase. Additionally any enemy unit within 6" of this unit, that has a moral test rolled reduces the roll by 1.

(bad working but in my mind it works like this.)

SHooting phase

you activate this strat, and choose a unit of meganobz. The unit took firepower to destroy half of its meganobzs, instead the meganobz have 1 hp for the phase. Then they get into melee and kill half the imperial guard squad, the imperial guard squad rolls moral, and would've past but then we add the negative modifier and then they fail causing more guards to flee

That stratagem is way overpowered in my opinion. It basically makes a unit invulnerable. If Orks got an invulnerability stratagem, then its likely every other faction would complain, and then everyone would get one in the next chapter approved, and then you'd have a bunch of invulnerable units going at eachother endlessly.

I agree that Orks should have some sort of stratagem that allows them to shrug off wounds, but not complete invulnerability from death. They're hearty and in the fluff they have been known to continue fighting even after losing a limb, but an Ork getting blasted by a lascannon to the face is still gonna die. I think a 2cp stratagem that allows Orks a FNP save of 5+ during any one phase would fit the bill. Having it increased to a 4+ if a painboy is nearby maybe.

That stratagem is way overpowered in my opinion. It basically makes a unit invulnerable. If Orks got an invulnerability stratagem, then its likely every other faction would complain, and then everyone would get one in the next chapter approved, and then you'd have a bunch of invulnerable units going at eachother endlessly.

I agree that Orks should have some sort of stratagem that allows them to shrug off wounds, but not complete invulnerability from death. They're hearty and in the fluff they have been known to continue fighting even after losing a limb, but an Ork getting blasted by a lascannon to the face is still gonna die. I think a 2cp stratagem that allows Orks a FNP save of 5+ during any one phase would fit the bill. Having it increased to a 4+ if a painboy is nearby maybe.

sounds awesome

I just want it to be fun, that’s the whole point of orks for me. Orks are about converting up some nonsense and having a laugh.

That’s just me though, it’s not gonna work for everyone.

I just want it to be fun, that’s the whole point of orks for me. Orks are about converting up some nonsense and having a laugh.

Orkistotle.

=D

--------------

I honestly hope Orks get VDR as a codex trait.

Everyone else makes proper things and test them, orks? no testing just whats rad

Orkistotle.

=D

--------------

I honestly hope Orks get VDR as a codex trait.

Everyone else makes proper things and test them, orks? no testing just whats rad

Now I want a Battle wagon with 4 DCCW's... 

My Old army buddy made one like that back in 3rd, it also tunneled. Loads of fun. 

For Ard' boys what about. Ork boys with 2 wounds, a 5+ save and 2 choppas , unit size 5 to 20.

Ere' we go, mob rule

Can also take a shoota for free or buy a custum shoota. 
Maybe 10 points per models , maybe 9 points.

No Nob option for the unit. 

This unit is where Ork boys end up on the "path" to becoming a Nob. So no Nob.
They need a flash and useful special rule that fits that and a a little fluffy. 
Maybe they are showing off so they reroll to wounds rolls of a 1.  

Nobs wouldn't have that rule because they are more established and a little more lazy. 
We can reassign that rule to any Nobs that are just about to brake through to being bosses in their own right or in some kind of command squad role.

If it's a fun rule we can resue it. 

These boys can ride in trukks and wagons like all the other Orks. 

I'd make this a dual kit or a triple kit if we could come up with two more cool units. 
Odd boys mob? 
Some kind of junior mek rule where between the whole mob they could fix a dew hull point wounds on a vehicle and carry a plethora of Mek type weapons, Kill saws and MKB's MKS's.

No sure about the stats or point costs.

And maybe finally Mad boys whit basic Ork equipment, what ever the player chooses and special rules, 2 wound models 

2 wounds on any unit made from this kit because it's between Boys and Nobs in size.  Extra plates to build out the ard' boys but they are bitz. 
The kit should have more heads than it needs for extra bitz for the Boys kit.

Just jumped into my head this morning. 

Kruza superheavy flier that can transport dreds,

Reroll 1's to hit near warboss

points fix on weaponz and rides

Gork guide me! 1 cp hit on 5+ for a round of shootin for one unit. Even works on overwatch! Bad moon only

Morks suprize! 1cp infantry wounds anything but vehicles on 2+ Snake bite only

BIG ROCK! 3cp Similar to orbital bombardment.

Green tide:2 cp infantry unit returns from dead deployed from home edge. Goff only

Snakebite = 6+ ignore wound

Bad Moon= reroll misses when shooting.

Death skullz= +1 to save rolls

Evil sunz= +3 to all vehicles movement and reroll advance and charge for vehicles

Goff= +1 str to all infantry when charging or being charged

I hope the warboss "waaagh!" ability works for vehicles&bikes as well if you're evil sunz.

You should be able to place 2 grots for every 1 slot in a vehicle.

Grot snipers (basically halflings) would be cool.

Let the mek take both a KFF and shokk attack gun.

Make the shokk attack gun asssault.

Make burnas d6 shots or d3 shots with skorcha strength and ap.

Lower point cost for nobz on warbikes, trukks & battlewagons.

Add the option for the waaagh banner to be given to a nob on warbike.

Let spanners repair vehicles when embarked.

Give lootas 3 shots.

Maybe loosen restrictions on Mob up, so as long a one of the groups is 10 or fewer the other group can be whatever size?

Maybe a stratagem that lets embarked units fire overwatch as well if charged?

I'd love it if mek gunz could be mounted on battlewagons.

• 2 weeks later...

So i've been hearing a lot of different ideas about the Ork codex, lots of rumors swirling and it got me thinking about what I thought Orks need. Now I personally don't think Orks need much to be competitive, I'm still having some fun games with just the index vs codex armies but there are definitely some things they need.

Right off the bat:

Clan Traits (chapter tactics)

Strategems

^ These two right there I think will fix a lot about Orks, as the passive bonuses from different clans and some nifty combos with stratagems will increase their power a bunch. BUT to me there is still something else that Orks are missing and that is some sort of Ork "FEEL". I can't really even put it into words but there needs to be something in the codex that makes Orks feel Orky. What do I mean by this... well, look at Dark Eldar (drukhari or whatever) with their power from pain rule they just automatically get better as the game goes on. Look at eldar and all their psychic shenanigans. Look at Nurgle and their disgustingly resilient saves. Look at Tau and their markerlights. Sure none of these armies HAVE to use these special bits, you can ignore the psychic phase with eldar and you don't need to bring markerlights with tau but those are easily identifiable things that make those armies and the rules encourage you to build around them.

I do not want Orks to get shoe-horned into only being able to run Green Tide, or only Mek lists. I love how Orks can be played in lots of ways but I would love there to be something decidedly Orky about the army. I'm not sure if that would be some rule or an ability, whether it would revolve around their innate toughness, or their ingenuity of building, or their passive psychic-ness that binds them all together but I would love to see SOMETHING.

Wish list items:

Would love some new sculpts for some of the super old models we have. I am OK with the boyz, but lots of our characters and other units are SOOO old.

What do you think? What do Orks need our of their codex?

So i've been hearing a lot of different ideas about the Ork codex, lots of rumors swirling and it got me thinking about what I thought Orks need. Now I personally don't think Orks need much to be competitive, I'm still having some fun games with just the index vs codex armies but there are definitely some things they need.

Right off the bat:

Clan Traits (chapter tactics)

Strategems

^ These two right there I think will fix a lot about Orks, as the passive bonuses from different clans and some nifty combos with stratagems will increase their power a bunch. BUT to me there is still something else that Orks are missing and that is some sort of Ork "FEEL". I can't really even put it into words but there needs to be something in the codex that makes Orks feel Orky. What do I mean by this... well, look at Dark Eldar (drukhari or whatever) with their power from pain rule they just automatically get better as the game goes on. Look at eldar and all their psychic shenanigans. Look at Nurgle and their disgustingly resilient saves. Look at Tau and their markerlights. Sure none of these armies HAVE to use these special bits, you can ignore the psychic phase with eldar and you don't need to bring markerlights with tau but those are easily identifiable things that make those armies and the rules encourage you to build around them.

I do not want Orks to get shoe-horned into only being able to run Green Tide, or only Mek lists. I love how Orks can be played in lots of ways but I would love there to be something decidedly Orky about the army. I'm not sure if that would be some rule or an ability, whether it would revolve around their innate toughness, or their ingenuity of building, or their passive psychic-ness that binds them all together but I would love to see SOMETHING.

Wish list items:

Would love some new sculpts for some of the super old models we have. I am OK with the boyz, but lots of our characters and other units are SOOO old.

What do you think? What do Orks need our of their codex?

What does the Ork codex need? 

Easy. A front cover and back cover and pages in between.  

I've read no credible or even interesting rumors about what the Orks will get in the new codex. Just a bunch of people wishlisting. The book is very likely already printed.

I'd like a new cool warbiggy/Trakk with a few more weapons options. A mid sized trukk, between the war trukk and battle wagon, with more weapons options and or a larger transport capacity. I'd like Ard boys back, I posted about my idea for those elsewhere, basically 2 wounds each and a 4 or 5+ save and some weapons. (It should be a dual kit.) second half of that kit, I'd like to be Odd boys. Think a mob of meks, again 2 wounds at least and snazzy Mek options. (Neither unit gets a Nob option, or it does. ) 

For the Nobz mob I'd like to see a "Big" boss Nob who has one more wound than the Nobz in the mob.

Ah, and one new artillery something with a high rate of indirect fire. Maybe 2 D6 or 4 D3 shots with a 48" range or more. And an effect on the target units, or not. Maybe it could cause a few mortal wounds if the rolls are lucky - what ever that means.

Other than that I am fine with what ever GW decides to give us in the way of new units and rules.

Definitely some point reductions here and there. I’d like the Gork/Morkanaut to be even more useful. Some of the mek guns could be brought into line with the KMB, so there’s always more of a choice.

Mob rule and ere we go will probably remain our niche chapter tactic schtick, so I’m not expecting major change there. I’ve read lots concerning a flat ceiling on hit modifiers, but I can’t see GW giving that to orks. Hopefully I’ll be proven wrong.

Will always welcome new models, and am among those intrigued by a gretchin sniper team, a la IG ratlings. Not holding my breathe though.

I think GW is going to absolutely knock this ork codex and model release out of the park, so I can’t wait to see what we get in a few months.

Definitely some point reductions here and there. I’d like the Gork/Morkanaut to be even more useful. Some of the mek guns could be brought into line with the KMB, so there’s always more of a choice.

Will always welcome new models, and am among those intrigued by a gretchin sniper team, a la IG ratlings. Not holding my breathe though.

That's a good point about the Mek gunz.

Funny thought just now. If the Grot snipers come in units of 10 and are like the artillery's grot gunners, where they can't be targeted. 

I'll put 20 in my list to mob up and have them stand behind a grot gunner screen from my Mek gunz.. Ridiculously funny! 

"Clan tactics" can be as much a curse as a blessing. For one, although the index kinda already does it for at least some of them, you're limited to special chars from that clan. And from what I can see some clans have exactly zero special characters of their own, who knows if that'll get remedied or not. Probably not. And if you look at the likes of Space Marines, CTs don't exactly tend to be equal in power level. And then you'll end up with either playing a substandard CT for your painted army or using incorrectly painted models for a better CT. Personally I'm painting my orks in a custom scheme (a first for any of my armies so far), so I can be whatever CT I choose I guess because it's not a "canon" clan. But even that feels kinda "meh" as a "solution."

Archived