Expectations of the new Codex

Kaldoth

"Clan tactics" can be as much a curse as a blessing. For one, although the index kinda already does it for at least some of them, you're limited to special chars from that clan. And from what I can see some clans have exactly zero special characters of their own, who knows if that'll get remedied or not. Probably not. And if you look at the likes of Space Marines, CTs don't exactly tend to be equal in power level. And then you'll end up with either playing a substandard CT for your painted army or using incorrectly painted models for a better CT. Personally I'm painting my orks in a custom scheme (a first for any of my armies so far), so I can be whatever CT I choose I guess because it's not a "canon" clan. But even that feels kinda "meh" as a "solution."

I don't care about Special Characters at all. As long as the clan traits are useful or at least fun I'll pick one. Or I'll pick none at all. 

I can't say you really need to worry too much about how you paint  your orks as far as picking a clan goes. MY goffs tend to have a lot of red on them as a kinda throwback to 2nd edition goffs. I prefer not to use yellow on my glash gits, I can't recall if they are suppose to be bad moons or just pirate outcasts. Mine are free booters from the deff Skulls. I was looking for a way to add blue to my pallet.  Remember there are clans and tribes so there can be a mix. Which will probably be done via detachments with the new rules. 

It’s going to be very interesting to see where they go with the clan tactics. Earlier codices were all very similar and uninspiring for the most part. The recent necron and drukhari dexs though seemed to signal a shift in what each chapter/legion/world would get as a bonus, and I’m hoping for traits along those lines for the orks.

Harlequin, Deathwatch, and Knights don’t really have strong traditional “chapters” to give traits to, so I don’t think we will see a major shift or clue, and can expect orks to follow the DE and necron templates.

Edit: I am very curious to see if GW continues altering the FOC/detachment benefits with orks like they did with drukhari. I’m not sure what special organization orks would warrant, but any new mechanics or choices in army building are always welcome.

Clan traits can only be a positive. Our special characters aren't so good that losing access would wreck builds, and the relative strength of traits isn't a big deal. I play like Goffs, but all my boyz are painted red like Evil Sunz because I like red and green. If I prefer the Goff (or whatever) clan trait to Evil Sunz for my playstyle, there is no force on earth that could stop me from playing my red orks with that trait.

Clan traits are just a bonus. If your army isn't super clearly defined by its looks, like my kult of speed, just choose whichever you want. My hopes are for some interesting and fluffy stratagems. 

Paasengers can overwatch out of open-topped vehicles

Something to improve charge range (use before charging, roll 3d6 and pick the 2 best, stacks with 'ere we go)

A stratagem that lets vehicles function as if in their top bracket

Miscounted their bombs - a staratgem that replenishes the bombs on a plane (maybe once per game)

A stratagem like cadias overlapping fields of fire

Some painboy injection that makes the recipient alot better (maybe +2 attacks and +2 strength) but automatically kills him at the end of the round

Scrappers - A damaged ork vehicle within 3" of a destroyed vehicle regains d3 wounds

A stratagem that lets vehicles advance and still fire heavy weapons

There's plenty of fun to be had with the orks, most people I'd dare to say aren't playing this army because it's the best but it sure is (and should be) the most fun. As long as they deliver on the fun aspect and update some of the worst offenders models wise, I'd wager most people are going to be happy.

Oh Oh! I´ll join, this seems like great fun!

I would love to see some clan-based rules and there are quite a few options. 

This post would be a brainstorming and seemingly incoherent.

Goffs: like to stompin´ gitz. So a logical rule would be related to close combat. Khorne daemons gets +1 S and A when charged/charging? BA get +1 to wound rolls when charging/charged, something along those lines. But the sheer number of attacks and models leaves me feeling those rules would perhaps be a bit too good?

Bad Moons: Filty rich gitz with more teef than sense. Salamanders have a CT related to masterwork gear; reroll 1 hit and to wound roll per unit per phase. This seems a bit lackluster for orks. Some necron dynasty got -1 ap on rapid fire weapons, perhaps bad moons could get it on assault weapons? Increased range? And ofc squigskin-seats for the trucks!! Genuine leather....

Evil Sunz: Red, fast and furious gitz. Most of their fluff is related to driving at "unsafe speed". It seems a bit boring to just grant them bonuses to speed (move, advance or chrage) for vehicles and bikes. And they overlap with the kult of speed, who also like engines, chrome and dakka.

Blood Axes: the klan with a plan (even before the battle starts). Sneaky gitz, camouflage and planning. But they are still orks. While other orks run screaming directly at the enemy, the blood axes run screaming at the enemy from the side. How to represent their character and still maintain their orkiness? 

Orks, rules, balance and playstyle.

To me orks are a horde army. Sure they have MANZ, big walkers and the stompa. But I would be ok with trucks, boyz, buggies, walkers ect being fragile (compared to marines and Leman Rusess) as long as we get to bring lots of them. Price buggies/wartracks/scorchas right and I´ll bring em to battle. Sure they get shot up, hacked to pieces and put on fire, but there are plenty more of em.  Trukks should cost 25p (I know, I know it is a bit low) and they should be blown skyhigh by a misslie or some focused autocannon fire.

I guess I just want a horde of whatever I choose to field, be it boyz, bikes or buggies :-)

Edit: And there are some ork freebooterz. Hoist the Jolly Ork! Please, oh please give us some rules for a freebooterz warband :-DD

• 3 weeks later...

Info on the new Harlequins codex has 6 different mask forms with different rules. No one has ever heard of that before, right?

Based on that I think we can be confident to get rules for all 6 different clans and maybe even freebooterz too.

Info on the new Harlequins codex has 6 different mask forms with different rules. No one has ever heard of that before, right?

Based on that I think we can be confident to get rules for all 6 different clans and maybe even freebooterz too.

Well... Every single codex thus far that hasn't been for a specific army (ie: Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Deathwatch, Death Guard and Thousand Sons) has had multiple faction rules.

Like, look at the Chaos Marine, Space Marine, Craftworld Eldar and Dark Eldar codices. All had multiple different faction rules.

So yes, rules for all the klans and Freeboterz is very likely.

Great. I would be happy with that. Was a bit concerned we wouldn’t get them. The xenos codexes seem to do it. Even the ones you didn’t realise would get different ways to play like Harlequins, Admech etc.

Freebooterz would be a great bonus.

As a Space Wolf player I’m also hoping for Great Companies rules, this seems less likely based on previous Space Marine codexes. Blood Angels, Dark Angels etc.

I'd like to see

Skarboyz:  (beast ork followers, who are the size of a standard war boss)

Beast Ghaz: (primarch sized Ghaz)

Beast Ghaz commanders: (the leaders of the ork clans who are now super sized)

what kraken doomcool said,

each Ork Clan treated as a greatcompany/chapter. given special rules, characters and equipment options.

Rules for Orks to have Vehicle design rules, baked into their codex.

so you can convert your own vehicles and equipment and have proper rules

Oh please, this. I would totally day 1 buy the Ork Codex if I could kitbash and loot all the vehicles I wanted. That'd be awesome.

And none of that "designed vehicles are open play only" :cuss either! Make it so the vehicles all have the same basic point value as their non-looted counterpart, and then all the upgrades are from the Ork codex.

Oh please, this. I would totally day 1 buy the Ork Codex if I could kitbash and loot all the vehicles I wanted. That'd be awesome.

And none of that "designed vehicles are open play only" :censored: either! Make it so the vehicles all have the same basic point value as their non-looted counterpart, and then all the upgrades are from the Ork codex.

I'd say base point value as vehcile but

- stats applied across the board to looted vehicles initially.

if tank A from tau has HP of 14 and speed of 10

looted base should have HP of 7 and speed of 6

then ork upgrades apply.

Extra armor can take this twice, ads +2 hp

Big Orkin' engine + 3 speed, add 1D6 mortal wounds on explosion roll

Open top - HP, + transport

Extra gunz, - transport, + 1d6 explosion if maxed out, - speed if maxed out

I don’t know, skarboyz have never been even nob sized, they’ve always been the missing link between boyz and nobz. Orks also aren’t regimented enough to have a “leader” for each clan. I’m absolutely all in favor of looted vehicles though. As I’ve said in the past, if they just release a looted wagon upgrade kit, just a single sprue with a couple of armor plates, exhaust pipes, and ork weapons, then they’ll have a model for it and will be raking in piles of cash for very little effort.

I could get right behind a looted tank option with some ability to customize the weapon loadout further than previous entries. Being able to choose from the Mek Guns as a main weapon would be nice. My looted vehicle is a transport but a proper tank would be nice.

Warhead, you mentioned in the ETL outpost about the codex being pushed back. Do you have a source? That would be a major bummer.

Warhead, you mentioned in the ETL outpost about the codex being pushed back. Do you have a source? That would be a major bummer.

No it's just the what I am reading on other forums in post there but no one has any hard information or anything. we don't know for sure. I think people are just speculating. 

No it's just the what I am reading on other forums in post there but no one has any hard information or anything. we don't know for sure. I think people are just speculating. 

Ok, for sure. I'm a gambling man, and I would have taken bets that it was coming in June, no doubt. While I still think it will, AoS2 does have me thinking it could be as late as August.

Yeah, AoS 2nd Edition has really thrown my expectations into some disarray. I was thinking "summer" for Orks, but now I'm rather uncertain. Oh well, the codex should be good, I hope.

Yeah, AoS 2nd Edition has really thrown my expectations into some disarray. I was thinking "summer" for Orks, but now I'm rather uncertain. Oh well, the codex should be good, I hope.

Yep, it should! 

GW's been getting crunk with bespoke rules and have a lot of edition/rules/fluff to draw on.

WAAAGH GorGak! will conquer  the universe with flip-flops and mechetties but Snazzy Orky know whats would be more fun! 

Maybe we'll get lucky and get a few new kits. 

Well I think something to understand about traits, is their are “strategic” and “tactical” traits. Marines and armies which tend to be ‘boring’ trait wise have tactical traits. These don’t change your army only enhance what your armies tactical/flavorful method of engagement is.

Black Templar reroll charge doesn’t change how a Black Templar force plays on the tabletop, i.e an aggressive force with midrange to close engagement. However the Catachan +1 Strength dynamically changes how the army plays were previously you hit like paper mache in close, now you can actually wound MeQ’s. Making it so Power Swords and such are valid options for your model.

Tyranids vs CW Eldar are another example of strategic v tactical traits. As the forces enhance certain strategies and certain tactics, by drastically changing your playstyle, while Eldar only make it easier to do what you are already doing.

Tau v Necrons are another case of this dynamic playing out, Tau have Tactical Traits, while Necrons have Strategic Traits. Which brings me to the question of Ork Klans. Will Klans have strategic traits which fundamentally change how a Speed Freaks v Bad Moon will play down to even unit choices. Or will they have tactical traits will only promote what a flavorful already been doing with their Klans.

It’s a weird nuance but it’s why some traits seem more inspiring than others. The traits that folks tend to find more interesting tend to be strategic traits while the dull ones are tactical traits.

Codex finally officially announced :D

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/01/codexes-kings-cawdors-and-more/

I mean, it's kind of a no brainer at this point that ours is up next what with there only being three armies left :rolleyes: But still, it's official! And given the spacing between releases I'm guessing end of July?

At this point I'm less interested in the rules and more interested in the chance for new models. I hope to Gork we're going to get a full release like the death Guard did. It's unlikely, but it would be the dream.

A tankbusta/kommando dual kit would be my number one wish for new kits, and it seems like a no-brainer for GW - with how essential both units are to any Ork army, they'd fly off the shelves. 2nd biggest wish would be new buggies, followed thereafter by a multipart version of the black reach deffkoptas. New boys would be nice, but I'd like them to keep the old kit in production and match the new one to its style and scale so we can mix and match. And a weird but great addition would be an "easy-loot" kit that came with armor plates, weapons, and gubbins to orkify any vehicle.

All wishlisting of course. We'll get Prime Ork Ghazgkull and nothing else probably.

Archived