Rogue Trader Content

choppyred

Hi Brothers and Sisters, I have been bitten by the Oldhammer bug and I am in the market for a copy of the Rogue Trader rulebook. I have seen many for sale on a number of different sites ranging in price from a few pounds to £70/£80.

My questions for you my B&C family are 1. how much do you think is fair to pay and 2. is there a difference between the content in the soft back and hard back editions, as I am only familiar with the hardback edition from my youth. Many thanks.

Okay, so by "Rogue Trader" you mean the 1st edition of Warhammer 40,000 and not the roleplaying game of the same name from Fantasy Flight Games, right? I came into the topic interpreting the latter, but the hardcover/softcover issue leads me to think (pretty confidently) that it's the former (especially since the FFG RPG didn't come in a softcover edition).

I don't recall any difference in content between the hardcover and paperback, but it's been a long time since my hardcover disintegrated.

Since value is totally subjective, it's difficult to say. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a copy (so far less than £70/£80), but since I already have a copy (from 1990, not one of the later reprints), I may be underestimating the value. Practically speaking, unless you need a copy of the book for something, pretty much anything and everything "cool" from the book (mostly the pictures and lore) can be found online somewhere.

If you're looking for the 40,000 rule book aka Warhammer 40,000 first edition and not the RPG book, then a trip to Warhammer World (If you're able to) will be a good idea. They're selling exact reprints there. Not entirely sure what the price is, but it's definitely around the £40 mark or so :)

Edit: answer the other question. There was no difference in content between soft and hard back versions, save the binding :)

Edited by Aqui

Thanks for the swift answers,:biggrin.:  yeah 1st edition 40k is what I am talking about, sorry for sowing confusion. As there is no difference in content I will pick up the soft back from Amazon for the grand price of  £0.03 + £2.50 postage. I also found a PDF for the whole book on games-workshop if anyone is interested, I myself being old fasioned want to hold a physical book.:happy.: