Vanguard Vets without Jumppacks?

You can run multiple Command Squads of two and get free attacks from the additional Veteran Sergeants as long as you've got Elite slots to spare. They've got the same weapon options as Vanguard Vets anyway.

That would be, for 25 extra points, you get a lookout sir, and 3 extra attacks. Might be worth it if you have the space.

Honestly if you are doing a shield/sword setup, I’d do something like

3-4 Swords Bros, 2-3 Chain/Shield Bros, 2-3 ChainBros. Mostly because there is little reason to stack upgrades in that way*.

*How large of a Squad are you doing? My answer more applied to Squad in 10 Man range. Where you’d rather have a of the third Squad with Chain/Shield, one third to half with Sword/Pistol and remaining be naked to take non AP modifying shots

I'm thinking about doing some vanguard vets without Jumppacks. Is this an absolutely crazy ideaz or might it work? I'm thinking giving them powerswords and stormahields, basically just a tough unit for charging ahead of weaker but heavier hitting squads.

Very cool unit. Take them in a rhino.

I'm thinking about doing some vanguard vets without Jumppacks. Is this an absolutely crazy ideaz or might it work? I'm thinking giving them powerswords and stormahields, basically just a tough unit for charging ahead of weaker but heavier hitting squads.

I wouldn't take them with all shields, or even all swords. They will die just as easily to anti infantry fire with or without shields.  Instead I'd take just a couple of shields to tank heavier shots that come their way.  For swords I'd take advantage of chainswords as well giving them +1 or even +2 attacks(if you take two chainswords) to their base of 2. Weight of attacks is important in CC now because of the loss of charging bonus and extra CCW bonus. 

Too many storm shields, I'd take 2 max.

Check out the BT resource thread for a link to the Alternative Bitz thread for shields

In close combat - its always better to have big squads to sourround the enemies and strikes hard with as many attacks possilbe.

So i would take 10 guys 4 guys with swords, 4 guys with shields and 2 for normal casulties...

but in terms of style - take them all with storm  shields and then half with words/chainswords ;)

Too many storm shields, I'd take 2 max.

That was my original thought, however, I'm crafting a 1250 list for a team tournament, and I had 18 pts to spare, and can't think of anything much better to put in.

Take a relic blade instead of a power sword on the sgt