Speculation & spoilers regarding The Magos, Pariah etc

Go to solution Solved by EverythingIsGreat,

I feel like the name reveal should fly over most of the characters heads.

In general bequin and ravenor seem very very well informed about thungs that happened during the heresy. Sure they have secret ordo/cognitae knowledge but 10k years is a lot of Time for stuff to be forgotten...

If Beta/Patience knew about the missing Primarchs then there's no way they wouldn't also know about Valdor

which I am surprised she knows about since the existance of traitor primarchs is already a closely guarded secret. But okay they are ordos after all so they will know more than most

This of course begs the question of how these lore-shaking developments didn't appear to crop up in the post-Rift galaxy.

Many many things could be lore shaking but never make it into a army book as they are not war/frontline oriented. The Mechanicus finding a STC that increases fuel efficiency in their vehicles by 50% may not sound fancy but it would shake the Imperium on every level economic/political/military/etc if you catch my drift.

The BL books have plenty of scope for world shaking that never ever affects the tabletop game, a fact i wish BL would remeber more often. 

Especially since a lot of things will still be more localized events rather than galaxy-spanning rollouts of Primaris, for example. A subsector may hold the key to solving problems halfway across the galaxy, and nobody outside their sector might ever make the connection or know about it in the first place.

Especially with the looks at Terran bureaucracy, which is almost worse than the German version here, we should finally realize how bad interstellar communication actually is. Heck, during the Heresy's early years, we had the Damnation Cache opened on Pythos, and the message reached Terra.... but was cast aside as irrelevant. It took til the Scouring for the Grey Knights to go to Pythos and shut the thing properly, all the while the daemons could escalate further.

One of the coolest things to happen in the fiction is finding those potential fixes and connections on the reader's meta-level.... while the galaxy at large doesn't even know that either the problem or the solution exist, or could be relevant to one another, thus burying any real hope of the problem actually getting fixed, unless through pure chance. Pure chance has become synonymous with Cawl for a while, though, which is kind of eh.

Just finished reading it... Wow! I'm speechless.

I have questions though, even if I suppose answers will be in the next book (I hope it'll come soon this time)!

It's implied Valdor is one of the lost primarchs... Or did I understand it wrong? They are too insistant on it to only be a false lead no?
How can the Blood Angels have wings? It's the first time I saw one with literal wings, is it a first in the lore?

As I understand it the 8 are also only eight pariahs cloned an hundred/thounsand times to create the graels.

I have questions though, even if I suppose answers will be in the next book (I hope it'll come soon this time)!

It's implied Valdor is one of the lost primarchs... Or did I understand it wrong? They are too insistant on it to only be a false lead no?

How can the Blood Angels have wings? It's the first time I saw one with literal wings, is it a first in the lore?

As I understand it the 8 are also only eight pariahs cloned an hundred/thounsand times to create the graels.

Just to the first point but

Im pretty sure the Lost Primarch stuff was a red herring/false lead.

In the Blood Angel novels by James Swallow there was also a winged Blood Angel, but it was a Chaos ploy

ravenors knife eared friends know exactly what they are doing and will be sure to screw over what appears to be part of the human webway and the imperiums best chance for a brighter future. Eldar arent human-friendly after all. That or the king in yellow is maybe a mad/twisted version of valdor or maybe not valdor at all.
Edited by Marshal Vespasian

Well I really enjoyed it. Very excited to see where this is going. The big reveal, but also all the supporting strands and aims of characters like

Deathrow or the Collage.

My question is, what is the notebook? What did someone write it for?

The book talks a lot about how names can give power over someone. The notebook contains his full true name. It's not just a note or a reveal, it's the full detail recorded for something. So who wrote it and what power does it give them against the Yellow King?

It's in brown ink which is odd, and I wonder if it's actually written in blood.

Inside it says

"Commonplace writings of Lilian Chase: of her knowing (that is, of her Cognitae)"

Was it somehow her insurance policy?

And reading the last lines of Penitent again now, we don't actually see what it says - Beta listens and then tells the inquisitors a name. I think it's unlikely given giant long names are a Custodes thing, but she could have lied.

Then again it could be a lie anyway, given the theme of masks.

Doesn't have to be Alpha Legion

I think you took that too literally.

The idea of it being a fakeout in the next book feels a bit cheap to me when that was essentially the big moment of Penitent. I’d rather it just explore that rather than have another big twist with the identity of the King in Yellow.

Masks are a big theme in this...so who knows

EDIT:

...building upon that, Constantine Valdor was the Emperor's top custodian, his number one protector...so an Inquisitor or whoever viewing himself as a protector of the Emperor could find a lot of symbolic meaning in assuming Valdor's identity or operating under the cover of his name

Would be a letdown though Edited by b1soul

Well I really enjoyed it. Very excited to see where this is going. The big reveal, but also all the supporting strands and aims of characters like

Deathrow or the Collage.

My question is, what is the notebook? What did someone write it for?

The book talks a lot about how names can give power over someone. The notebook contains his full true name. It's not just a note or a reveal, it's the full detail recorded for something. So who wrote it and what power does it give them against the Yellow King?

It's in brown ink which is odd, and I wonder if it's actually written in blood.

Inside it says

"Commonplace writings of Lilian Chase: of her knowing (that is, of her Cognitae)"

Was it somehow her insurance policy?

And reading the last lines of Penitent again now, we don't actually see what it says - Beta listens and then tells the inquisitors a name. I think it's unlikely given giant long names are a Custodes thing, but she could have lied.

Then again it could be a lie anyway, given the theme of masks.

They may have thought to use it as an insurance policy though it wouldn't work as it isn't his "true name", it was given to him by the Emperor.

Never even heard of this series, absentmindedly watched a spoiler vid on youtube about it then came here then immediately bought both books and holy :cuss this was awesome! im about to start ravenor series now.  I love that this kind of material is in the 40k universe.