Speculation & spoilers regarding The Magos, Pariah etc

Go to solution Solved by EverythingIsGreat,

• 1 month later...

Started rereading Pariah today in preparation for book two, probably a little early but it’s brilliant. Since I last read this I’m sure I’ve read all the eisenhorn and Ravenor books twice but never read pariah again. Completely stoked for the next book. Come on BL!!!

I reread them all over the past couple of years and I’d say Pariah’s probably the best of the bunch. Eisenhorn and Ravenor might have done more to develop the feel of ‘domestic 40k’ and are arguably a little bit more exciting moment to moment, but Pariah throws you into a world that feels equal parts real and impossible, leaving the reader with just enough air to grasp it all.

There are things in it I’m not sure would be in it if it was written today. Other things that are in it are great and they seem to have been forgotten in the lore since. Were are the cuffs? Surely these should be a thing in both 30 and 40k?

Abnett’s treatment of pariahs in general seems relatively removed from the rest of the BL canon. He spends less time emphasizing their mystical otherness and more time focusing on how they integrate into the Imperium. I don’t think any other authors have used the concept of pariah limiters for instance, even though psyker limiters are relatively common.

I wonder will we see changes made for canon purposes in book 2 or will Abnett get a free run? He has a good history of setting the pace. In fairness the cuffs aren’t even in eisenhorn.

I think he’ll get free run to do as he will. He’s not exactly beholden to BL for work and I can’t imagine he’d have come back without the promise of creative freedom. Good point about Eisenhorn.

Something big lore wise is happening in either Penitent or Pandaemonium because Abnett said in interviews he had to get permission from GW/BL.

I think things like cuffs are small fry in the lore and akin to “vox” “recaf” and “hot shot las”. Sometimes they get adopted by other writers and become part of the lore.

The cuffs / limiters - has any other author written about blanks being used in same way? Off top of my head the only stories featuring blanks I can think of are Sisters of Silence so not covert agents.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I won’t buy LE’s as they are just crazy money (IMO) but nutter that I am - if they released ALL the Eisenhorn and Ravenor books in new style hardback with cover styles that tied in with these new Bequin books, then I would buy the whole set! My wallet is screaming at me but I would have to do it!!!!

I only have Eisenhorn in omnibus, Ravenor in paperbacks & omnibus, The Magos in paperback and Pariah in old style hardback. Having them match on the shelf would be nice (am a bit OCD I guess).

Also note the spine style also matches the Dawn of Fire series and Dark Imperium series

I still stand by the speculation many years back now that the big lore thing Abnett had to get agreement from GW to include was that the King in Yellow is either:

1) Lorgar (most likely)

or

2) The God Emperor or an avatar of him (which is what I most hope for - ie TGE is actually alive and active in the warp manipulating stuff)

I still stand by the speculation many years back now that the big lore thing Abnett had to get agreement from GW to include was that the King in Yellow is either:

1) Lorgar (most likely)

or

2) The God Emperor or an avatar of him (which is what I most hope for - ie TGE is actually alive and active in the warp manipulating stuff)

Either of these two possibilities is awesome — what I do know is the Yellow King is a psyker of immense power.