Zee Kriegenspigen (update 3-21)

This year I am celebrating the 25th anniversary of me entering this hobby (right before the release of 2nd edition). Yet despite being in this hobby for 25 years, I never really fully painted and based an army. I've have/had painted armies, certainly, but they were either commissioned or bought/traded for second-hand.

I actually abandoned 40K for pretty much the entirety of 6th and 7th edition, but did find solace in 30K. However, I really want to do that army justice, so I've decided to practice on the Krieg I've been amassing* over the years. This helps me kill two birds with one stone: one, get used to painting my own miniatures, and I've been greatly enjoying 8th edition Imperial Guard.

Without further ado, this will be a (hopefully) frequently updated blog as I paint my Krieg. It will be a long trek, as I am not kidding when I say amassing. We're talking nearly 10,000 points of Krieg, with around 250 infantry models all told.

Here are my first models, the Company Command and a pair of Tempestor Scions. I am using Quartermasters for the Scions, using the command rods I bought on eBay. I don't know how I feel about the empty holsters, but I guess it IS WYSIWYG for Tempestor options. :tongue.:

As a bonus, there is also my test model for the Grenadiers (Scions) and some super WIP banners.

gallery_95549_14329_537304.jpg

I hate taking pictures of my models in some regard, because it makes otherwise hidden flaws glaringly obvious. I definitely need to clean up the edge highlights a bit. Comments greatly appreciated!

---

Update 3-16: Had a day off yesterday, and could feel my OCD kicking in over the HQs. I dig how the grey coat turned out on the commander (inspired by a WW2 Hugo Boss uniform), but I feel they wash out the Quartermasters a bit. When I revisit the models I may paint the inside of the cloaks a deep red to frame the model more. Anyway, decided to spend my time working on more grenadiers who I don't hold to as high a standard and thus doesn't trigger my neuroses. I still got to do plenty of work on the masks (keeping that black line between the red eyes and the skull mask has been an ordeal), and decide just how dense I want the grass on the bases, but otherwise they are pretty much good to go.

gallery_95549_14329_1145780.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=UPDATE 3-21: I am calling the Grenadiers complete. I decided to skip the final highlight both for time constraints, and to keep the models kind of dark. When the rest of this blog is complete, I am sure I will return to them with lessons learned. The skulls totally suck since they are so damn samey, even the ones I cut up... I wish I had bought the Wargames Exclusive skulls, since they have a lot of variety and wicked battle damage. Another thing to be revisited.

GRENADIERS

HQ - Scion Tempestor - Command Rod, Power Maul, Laurels of Command

HQ - Scion Tempestor - Command Rod, Power Maul

ELITE - Command Squad - Banner, Medic/Vox, 2x Plasma Guns

ELITE - Command Squad - 4x Hot-shot Volley Guns

TROOPS - 10x Scions - 4x Plasma Guns, Sgt with power sword & plasma pistol

TROOPS - 10x Scions - 4x Plasma Guns, Sgt with power sword & plasma pistol

TROOPS - 6x Scions - 2x Melta Guns, Sgt with power maul & plasma pistol

TROOPS - 6x Scions - 2x Melta Guns, Sgt with power sword & plasma pistol

TOTAL: 753 points (748 with vox)

gallery_95549_14329_319465.jpg

gallery_95549_14329_20280.jpg

gallery_95549_14329_157827.jpg

gallery_95549_14329_149500.jpg

Edited by Withershadow

Thanks. The plan for bases is a combination of vallejo earth texture and agrellan badlands, decorated by the bleached grass and maybe a skull here or there. I am contemplating what to do with the character bases to make them stand out a bit more since Krieg models are so diminutive. At the least they will go on 32mm bases rather than 25mm, but I may get some fancier secret weapon miniatures wasteland/ruins bases rather than sticking to the textures. I also have thin corkboard I've successfully used before to represent outcroppings, but part of me is also hesitant to make the leaders that much taller than the grunts; true LOS is the bane of a hobbyist's existence.

Nice models. I especially like the shading and highlighting on the greatcoats.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Compared to when I first was doing this in '93, washes are like cheating. The technical paint range from GW has been very useful. I was going for the security officer look from this catalogue page I came across online. Yeah, yeah, Nazis, I know.

tumblr_nmwxpnKFfh1srxmgvo1_1280.jpg

I think it turned out pretty well on the Commander, but the whispers tell me more red for the Quartermaster. Anyway, OP updated with more Grenadiers. Only another 20 to go, including command!

If it's not an imposition, what is your paint recipe for your greatcoats? I might want to try it out.

Pretty simple formula, really, that's why it didn't take much time. Black primer, base coat Vallejo model color German Grey, followed by nuln oil wash, followed by German Fieldgrey highlight, followed by a lighter wash. If I were to do another highlight, probably GW Celestra grey. 

Edited by Withershadow

Hey wither where did you source your plasma guns for the grens?

This question has a bit of a shameful answer.  I've been collecting these Krieg models since pretty much the original release of Vraks, and at the time I had picked up two blisters of special weapons, which came with 2 plasmaguns each (but no matching arms without a headgun, go figure).  This worked out to about $10 per plasmagun, which is obviously not feasible. Some years later during late 5th edition I came across what were in retrospect obviously recasts on eBay of the individual special weapons. At $1.50 each, I could not say no, and bought all he had left. My army overall has 16 plasma guns in it, 10 on Scions, 6 on infantry squads. I would love to have more, but sadly that seller is no longer around and FW is now effectively $11.50 per plasma gun.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Death-Korps-of-Krieg-Weapons-Set

The grenadier detachment should be complete by tomorrow, but here's a mini-update. Sadly none of the 8 hobby shops in the area had any glazes in stock, but I made my own using Lahmian Medium. I still suck at it, but this is definitely a technique worth mastering.

gallery_95549_14329_19291.jpg

Also had a bit of a disaster with these guys, figured to make some progress on St. Patty's while drunk and figured would wash the models (don't need precision for that, I thought). Well the next morning I realized I used gloss wash, so I basically had to repaint them all over again. As a further attempt to take the gloss down, I went ahead and attempted an edge highlight of celestra gray over the previous recipe and it looks good even with my terminal detail brush. Got some new precision brushes arriving in the mail today and will clean it up. Not sure if I have the energy to highlight the Grenadiers too, I kind of like how muted and dark they turned out.

Ugh, nothing worse than mixing Shade for Gloss or vice versa.

I put an "X" on the top of my glosses so I don't grab the wrong one by accident.

The one you really need to watch out for though is not shaking your shade well enough if you haven't used it in a while. Then it also becomes a gloss :down:

looks great though! :tu:

Edited by duz_

This question has a bit of a shameful answer.  I've been collecting these Krieg models since pretty much the original release of Vraks, and at the time I had picked up two blisters of special weapons, which came with 2 plasmaguns each (but no matching arms without a headgun, go figure).  This worked out to about $10 per plasmagun, which is obviously not feasible. Some years later during late 5th edition I came across what were in retrospect obviously recasts on eBay of the individual special weapons. At $1.50 each, I could not say no, and bought all he had left. My army overall has 16 plasma guns in it, 10 on Scions, 6 on infantry squads. I would love to have more, but sadly that seller is no longer around and FW is now effectively $11.50 per plasma gun.

That's why I was asking, I knew that the price of the official kit was brow-raising. I wouldn't feel too bad wither, getting those arm onto the gren bodies are enough work as it is not to mention the shoulder armor segments.

Personally I was thinking of repurposing

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Plasma-Guns

but was unfamiliar with the proportions. (lacking hobby funds doesn't move things along any either)

Excellent work on the Standard Bearer. Whose skulls are mounted in his reliquary? Kriegers who were martyred in service to the Imperium? Eldar enemies slain in battle (as the skulls seem elongated)?

This being Krieg, I like to think the skulls are those of Kriegsmarines who were lucky enough to die totally boss-ass deaths for the Emperor.  That, or they just started picking up all the skulls I am sprinkling on the bases and decided to make something cool out of it. :tongue.:

That's why I was asking, I knew that the price of the official kit was brow-raising. I wouldn't feel too bad wither, getting those arm onto the gren bodies are enough work as it is not to mention the shoulder armor segments.

Personally I was thinking of repurposing

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Plasma-Guns

but was unfamiliar with the proportions. (lacking hobby funds doesn't move things along any either)

Those will definitely not work, they look large even on GW plastic guard, and are positively enormous on Krieg (the hand is about head-sized, which is too much even for heroic scale).  I think your best bet would be one of these:

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/image/cache/catalog/Regiments/Weapons-Accessories/heavy-phase-lance-eg-800x800.jpg

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/regiments-heavy-phase-lance

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/image/cache/catalog/Regiments/Weapons-Accessories/Ion-Rifle-Ex1-800x800.jpg

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=108_171&product_id=540

plasma-rifle_1000x.jpg?v=1483914730

https://victoriaminiatures.com/collections/weapons/products/plasma-rifle-x5

Based on past experience, i would say the Victoria are just a tad smaller, and thus probably ideal size, but they also have the most out there design and require you to :cuss around with the arms (which is pure agony at this scale). So I would probably go with Anvil, but that being said, Victoria also has some amazing shock mauls that I wish I knew existed before I assembled my dudes. The guys with the maul do significantly better than the power sword guys, but I am not min-maxy enough to start breaking stuff off of models.

Anyway, Grenadiers are done and OP has been updated! 

Edited by Withershadow