Best Army for Rad/Phosphex?

Rivener5

I’m trying to decide on a Legion. I had initially looked at Death Guard as I love the idea of this army of unstoppable, unkillable soldiers marching down field hurling radioactive and napalm weapons as they go.

Yet when I read their rules I cannot help but wonder what makes their use of such weaponry more effective than anyone else’s? It seems like Blackshields are better designed for using forbidden weapons and enjoying durability. Heck even Dark Angels seen better at it!

No, he just gets a one-use chemical bombardment. His warlord trait lets him deny on objectives.

Unfortunately, we're not actually that good at doing the thing that we're supposed to be good at. Grave Wardens are a cool unit in a terrible slot on the force org. From there we have chem flamers, which are ok. And finally we get rad grenades under The Reaping, but only under The Reaping (or on a Forge Lord), and at twice the cost the Dark Angels pay for them under the Ravenwing (where they are significantly more useful, being combined with swift moving units that have tons of assault bonuses). Creeping Death exists, too, but it may as well not.

What I'm saying is that if you actually want the Legion that throws all kinds of forbidden weaponry at the opponent, you may want to skip the Death Guard. They're probably the most "left behind" Legion from Book 1.

Anyone called Iron Warriors yet? :wink:

Aaaaand we have a winner.

Seriously, the Ironfire Rite of War is just made for this. Stock up of Quad Mortars, fill them with Phosphex shells, and march your tactical squads towards the enemy lines. Your bombing gets more accurate, and your units aren't prone to running away. 

Anyone called Iron Warriors yet? :wink:

Seriously, the Ironfire Rite of War is just made for this. Stock up of Quad Mortars, fill them with Phosphex shells, and march your tactical squads towards the enemy lines. Your bombing gets more accurate, and your units aren't prone to running away.

And then have no one ever want to play you again :P

Anyone called Iron Warriors yet? ;)

And then have no one ever want to play you again :P

Which in itself is pretty fluffy for Iron Warriors.

Don't forget that Forge Lords and Techmarines that take Rad Grenades can also take Servitors with Rad Missiles. I've run them with my Ultramarines and they do a pretty good job at throwing Rad everywhere. Unfortunately a Techmarine takes up an Elite slot, which is already crowded with Multiple Quad Launchers, and a Forge Lord is a surprisingly good CC asset so you may not want to burden him with a bunch of Heavy Weapon Servitors that he can't leave behind.

They are a better option than Destroyers though, because, while the Servitors are still expensive, they're not, you know... Destroyers.

I really want Destroyers to be good. : (

Don't forget that Forge Lords and Techmarines that take Rad Grenades can also take Servitors with Rad Missiles. I've run them with my Ultramarines and they do a pretty good job at throwing Rad everywhere. Unfortunately a Techmarine takes up an Elite slot, which is already crowded with Multiple Quad Launchers, and a Forge Lord is a surprisingly good CC asset so you may not want to burden him with a bunch of Heavy Weapon Servitors that he can't leave behind.

They are a better option than Destroyers though, because, while the Servitors are still expensive, they're not, you know... Destroyers.

I really want Destroyers to be good. : (

I play a Techmarine with three Rad-Launchers and they are great. Good killing power against marines if you kill the dude in fancypants first. Since my Elite slot isn't crowded (I don't spam Thudd Guns) in my armies there is always a place for them. :)

And here they are PEW WOOOOOOOOSH:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BczrjfiACGE/

I'm hoping that DG will get a bit of a revisit eventually as let's face it, "Creeping Death" supposedly claiming to be them unleashing their Dark Arsenal is woefully terrible...

Take THAT Trees in a game that is 90% ruins!

I'm talking:

• Phosphex bombs on all characters
  • Destroyers as non-compulsory troops
  • Rad missiles on Vets
  • Rad missiles on Box Dreads/ Deredeos
  • Grave Wardens as Elites ;)

Then some serious limitations to balance this destructive force.

I was inclined to say "Well DA are going to do it amazingly with the Dreadwing" but I think they'll get a more varied arsenal and Phosphex will be just part of the overall picture.

Outlander blackshields all the way. Every character can load up on rad grenades, and marauder squads are awesome. While deathlocks aren't phosphex or rad, they certainly fit the forbidden mark. A unit of terminators outfitted with them might die almost as fast as the enemy they shoot, but it seems like it would be fun to try out.

And you can still do most of the phosphex work everyone else can.

Edited by Fortnight

In universe several legions and factions specialized in weapons of forbidden providence, Order Reductor, Death Guard, Dark Angels Dreadwing etc...

On the table this is hard to reflect rule wise, without a huge number of special rules and game breaking mechanics that should be avoided in quality (Poisoned 2+ AP3/AP2 template spam which is obnoxious, and only furthers the uninteresting Net-listing you see floating around). 

If you want to keep friends I'd leave the phosphex at home. It doesn't go down well

Why? Phosphex is hardly broken IMHO and I think that instead of throwing a phoshpex fit people should finally learn how to deal with it. Edited by rendingon1+

Quad mortars in general are totally fine.

A single battery of mortars with Phosphex is still totally fine.

Two batteries of mortars with Phosphex will give most lists a hard time, argue that point as much as you like, but if you do not tailor and play in an all-comers style and environment, then this many Phosphex mortars can already be your doom.

Three batteries of Phosphex mortars will most people make lose their stool and their enjoyment of the game, and it's certainly not very gentleman like to bring them.

I'm not going down the route to make a point if they're 'broken', 'OP' or whatever, for that is in the eye of the beholder and depends on your gaming environment, but 40+ hits with Fleshbane at AP2 speak for themselves in most cases.

Edited by Unknown Legionnaire

Phosphex is poisoned 3+ not fleshbane. And quads fire ap3 not ap2 shells.

People often "forget" that to use phosphex at all you need siege breaker which is minimum ~100pts to your list. Many people just take mortars with s upgrade.

Edited by rendingon1+

Ah, yes, only the hand-thrown bombs, the Medusa shells and the Leviathan's discharger are AP2, I stand corrected !

Honestly, doesn't make a difference if the mortar shells are 2 or 3 given the obscene amount of hits they inflict with their special rules.

A Siege Breaker can be a compulsory HQ, he's a swiss army knife character and certainly worth his points, and especially worth it when you bring a Primarch to unlock RoW and thus don't need to invest in a Praetor (or other MotL character).

But like I said, it all depends on your scene and gaming environment.

Oh no a siege breaker! The Horrible taaaaaax? /sarcasm

Deathguard can take a RoW that gives their characters all Rad grenades cant they? I seem to recall planning that a while back :D 

Oh no a siege breaker! The Horrible taaaaaax? /sarcasm

Deathguard can take a RoW that gives their characters all Rad grenades cant they? I seem to recall planning that a while back :D

Ah, yes. I remember that Rite of War. I especially love how it rewards taking Librarians, Assault Marines, Bikers, and Mech Melee Equipped Tactical Squads.

Fluff wise the Space wolves and Dark Angels in the Fluff also had large dedicated arsenals on proscribed providence, They spent a significant portion of time after the Rangdan Xenocides going on "Bio-Pogroms" turning a large number of previously habitable systems into lifeless charnel houses to make sure the Rangdan taint was fully destroyed....

In game wise the space wolves have dedicated Deathsworn packs that are basically what destroyer squads should be. If still slightly overcosted... You can equip them with rad grenades as we'll.

The Dark angels had the "dreadwing". One day they will get rules (My moneys on 2020).... 

As a Dark Angels fanboy, I wouldn’t say we have the rights on being the Phosphex legion, that goes to the IW/DG. Dark Angels are all about wacky weapons that teleport half your body into space hell, or super secret tech adapted onto mainline units or gear. Less scorched earth and more “a weapon to surpass metal gear”.