Bases?

Rabidweasel

Afternoon brothers.  I'll fully accept a paddling if this really isn't the right location for this.... however i wanted an opinion just from the Black Templars.

As my build is starting, what colour do people tend to go with their bases?   I'm thinking a lightish colour to contrast against our black armour?

A lot of people go with the lighter colors, yes. A lot of people go with the generic bases, like mud and such. Personally I'm a fan of the cut marble look.

I had thought for marble, as I have almost infinite access to countertop samples; idea was to cut these to fit base size or diorama, etc; but  I thought it might be too striking against the acrylic models :(

I use the standard stuff for my army. Green grains, static grass, basalt rock, and lichens. I have also pulled a lot of broken branches out of my yard which can be turned into fallen trees/logs.

20180304 090102

I love how templars look with Mars red dirt. Especially when it gets stuck to their boots. I wish I had seent hat before I did my army. I did broken tiles made from cut up GW boxes

That's doable as i have some red sand..... used it for the Ad Mech army i had.

All good suggestions brothers thanks.

A lot of people go with the lighter colors, yes. A lot of people go with the generic bases, like mud and such. Personally I'm a fan of the cut marble look.

I had thought for marble, as I have almost infinite access to countertop samples; idea was to cut these to fit base size or diorama, etc; but  I thought it might be too striking against the acrylic models :sad.:

Generally it's best not to use real materials to make bases. like putting a real rock on a base, because for whatever reason it just doesn't look right unless you paint it. (now I have put real rocks on bases and then painted them) 

I paint mine brown and then use flock to decorate them. I went with a warm color to offset all the cool whites and blacks. 

Hidden Content
jIjEVNI.jpg

That's also a good look.  So many choices!

I'm lucky in that i live in Cornwall in the UK and one of my local beaches has quite large grains of sand, pretty much crushed granite! So looks like small crystals when put on a 40k base, so may well use that and paint them in some way.

Generally it's best not to use real materials to make bases. like putting a real rock on a base, because for whatever reason it just doesn't look right unless you paint it. (now I have put real rocks on bases and then painted them) 

I paint mine brown and then use flock to decorate them. I went with a warm color to offset all the cool whites and blacks. 

[hidden][/hidden]

Aye, I ended up using the Agrellan Earth texture mainly- Armageddon always requires ZEAL! I've been able to get some nice (imho) dustiness on both greaves/boots and tracks with it.

Main reason I thought of it originally is I have 2 retired laminate sample binders with various-sized marblesque samples, but the comparison never seemed to work.

Edited by Othniel's Blade

Personally went with the white city/moon/concrete look... I just presumed most of the battles that I'd be involving my Templars in would be concrete worlds or heavily urbanized and wrecked planets/cities such as Helsreach and and Jerulas...

here's my result:

19Yh8Lg.jpg

YTJqp2m.jpg

although Templars are actually a decently difficult army to base, since majority of armor colors are black, and then you get the odd Apothecary painted in white that now semi-blends with the base...

Thanks all, have to say that this forum has been very helpful and informative compared to other popular forums that seem to be filled with nay sayers!

Think i've decided on an earthy brown colour with a mix of the large grain and red sand.  Will post once I've finished the first model.

I guess I'm weird in that I go with bare bases :unsure.:

I am currently purchasing a BT army from a friend that runs his models with bare bases. He says the he looks at them like chess pieces. I am actually going to be basing those models this weekend, however, as I am trying to up my skills in that area of the hobby.

We all have our qwerks!  Like me who punishes his dice if they roll low and put them in the fridge as punishment.

I had a D20 once roll four 1's in a row on the Big Bad Villian of the Dungeon during a game of AD&D. This got the party wiped except for the wizard who teleported our corpses away. Needless to say, a trip to the backyard, a small amount of gasoline, a match and poof, the dice was purged of it's foul low rolling taint. Granted, the die was destroyed, but my other D20s rolled high the rest of the campaign.

Don't get me started on bad DnD roll's! i swear our GM's garden is full of dice i've thrown out of his kitchen window!

Back on Topic i do feel that some basing, regardless of how much, does add to the model, however too much, can look a little silly.  Like a chap i played against once who's HQ was on a massive plinth!  Not sure if he was trying to model for advantage or not?  Either way it looked odd and kinda silly!

I like Simple yet effective.  Usually use my bitz box to have body parts over HQ or MC bases, but as my other armies are all chaos heretic scum that works.  I may use some CSM helms to base my Templar HQ's tho, just don't go overboard with the gore!

Lol... I sort of have my EC on a plinth, although I wouldn't call it massive since it's still technically a 32 mm base just with a height design to make it look like he's coming down a set of bloodied stairs... you can't really have an advantage if it's height on ECs, since pistols wouldn't do much on shooting... as for wideness, it has an advantage in getting as many enemies as you can into melee when you engage, but it also means all of those enemies get to attack your guy into melee... and you have to declare anyway in 8th on which squads you're assaulting, so if your HQ has a massively wide base, and you decide to declare an assault against multiple squads and use that base as something for playing for advantage, you'll just end up soaking a ton of overwatch and if your model survives, then you'll get to attack a few times, and get swamped by all of the enemy... regardless, it's not much of an advantage...

also... my EC on his "high ground"

59zNGPD.jpg

Nice looking base that actually!  

This guy, who if i'm honest, was more "that guy" his plinth was almost the same size as the model almost doubling the size!  He was soon sent packing as he believed his Grey Knights (6th Edition) where unstoppable and he'd "won this tournament, and that tournament" and my chaos marines where a rubbish army and "what sort of man uses a pink army!" 

Tabled him turn 3 thanks to small pie plates from blastmasters from my MSU noise marine squads, then when in combat my I5 as it was back then meant i wiped the floor with what was left. 

Anyway, moral of the story.  Don't be that guy! 

Well back on topic i've finished the first few of my bases last night, just waiting for the PVA to dry overnight and i'll take some pictures when i get home.

I'm partial to Agrellan Earth, small rocks (model type) and sand. I usually paint the entire base in Zandri Dust, then glue on patches of rock and sand, then add Agrellan Earth once it's all set. Then go back in and wash all down with Agrax Earthshade, then dry brush with Zandri Dust and Karak Stone.

Against The Dawn Sword Brother LS

Can't wait to see what you come up with. There's a lot of great advice here, and it will be interesting to see which way you go.

• 2 weeks later...