New to gk

Hugoboss8901

So ive left/sold my 30k force off. Im looking to do gk as somethink different.

Im looking at running crowe with strike, interceptor and purifiers for a list.

Ive seen falchions for a good idea for moat of the squads and the rule of cool but not sure on the ranged weapons. Is there anythink that is a must take ?

Im looking at doing 1500 points for a local quarterly event that happens, but watching alot of batreps to see different styles.

Im a complete 8th noob so im lookimg more at fluff than power.

So ive left/sold my 30k force off. Im looking to do gk as somethink different.

Im looking at running crowe with strike, interceptor and purifiers for a list.

Ive seen falchions for a good idea for moat of the squads and the rule of cool but not sure on the ranged weapons. Is there anythink that is a must take ?

Im looking at doing 1500 points for a local quarterly event that happens, but watching alot of batreps to see different styles.

Im a complete 8th noob so im lookimg more at fluff than power.

I suggest waiting for a couple of weeks, until the balance pass has been done.

To be fair, your list is incredibly difficult to pull off, since most units will need to deepstrike to do what they want, which is cleansing flames and melee. They're also VERY squishy and will be killed by medium fire quite efficiently. If you plan on running purifiers, I suggest using transportation to get them in the thick of things. Land Raiders look exciting, but are prone to focused lascannon fire.

Crowe is a cool character and useless on the field. He'll accomplish noting but swat some low armour chaff, which is what Grey Knights have Storm Bolters for. With purifiers, a Brother Captain is more useful due to his aura, that doubles the range on cleansing flame, making it slightly less horrible to use.

Interceptors are a decent unit. They are very mobile, albeit slightly expensive. People tend to take strikes to get more Command Points, which are used to fuel Stratagems. Grey Knights have expensive stratagems, so having more helps a lot.

Since all of this is mayhaps going to be changed in the coming pass, simply waiting a couple of weeks is wise! Unless you feel the fluff way is the way to go, by any means, start buying some boxes of strikes and build them any way you like!

Do. Not. Use. Purifiers. Or. Crowe.

Really. I love them, I used them in this edition but they are no more than overpriced pagk. Unfortuantely.

For the other stuff I agree with helycon, until the end of the month we’ll have some kind of balance and maybe purifiers and other unplayable units can be placed in the field. Be patioent for a couple of weeks. ;)

Hmm, maybe in the CA they'll decide to improve Purifiers like all the feedbacks we sent them requesting them to. 2A and 6" Cleansing Flame would certainly be a nice improvement. 

They need 2W. They are just more expensive PAGK, so die just as easily as PAGK.

If you really want purifiers with Crowe and don't want go for power play, take a landraider and 3x5 purifiers with castellan in it. Cast gate and sanctuary on it and place right before enemy screen. Use hurricanes to clear screening units, strikes and interceptors will help. Turn 2 go out of LR and use purifying flame, run, if you out of range. If you still out of range, well, these are purifiers. To be out of range is their default state. If you bring along brother captain, things should go a bit better. This may word with Rhino to, but you won't fit in Crowe. 

Falchions are best weapon currently on power armor Grey Knights. For ranged weapons standart stormbolter is a way to go. You can take psilencers, because they are extra cheap and can be dangerous in large numbers because of d3 damage. But they are heavy for some reason, so will hit on 4+ most of time. You also have to trade a special weapon for them. So the best way to take them is purgation squads. In friendly games incinerators can deal some damage if you have transports. Avoid it, if you don't have one.

But if you want a good list, consider a battalion with Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight (in 8ed every GK player has to have at least one), Draigo, 3x5 strikes. Spend spare poinst on other strike squads, interceptors, apothecaries, paladins, other hq choices, preferebly Voldus, venerable dreadnougths with lascannon/missile launcher. While it is not top competitive games, GK still may pose threat.

And I agree completely, wait until end of March when FAQ/errata for all factons comes out. Some of the above may change.

Hmm, maybe in the CA they'll decide to improve Purifiers like all the feedbacks we sent them requesting them to. 2A and 6" Cleansing Flame would certainly be a nice improvement. 

Ok, but I don't want to wait until December. CA is only one every year, I hope for next week FAQ, otherwise.... I will be very disappointed. 

They need 2W. They are just more expensive PAGK, so die just as easily as PAGK.

They need 2W and 2 atk. same price, maybe.

Wait for 10 days and we'll give you more information, or some tears. 

Thank for the feedback. I argee with alot that has been said. Looking through the units i dont see the point in takig anythink other than strikes but maybe inceptors for the extra movement, i know we got GMNDK but i was hoping for somethink new as well.

So im lookig at basically running strikes with falchions and paladins with gmndk. It doesnt really make sense to field anythink else :/.

Thank for the feedback. I argee with alot that has been said. Looking through the units i dont see the point in takig anythink other than strikes but maybe inceptors for the extra movement, i know we got GMNDK but i was hoping for somethink new as well.

So im lookig at basically running strikes with falchions and paladins with gmndk. It doesnt really make sense to field anythink else :/.

Same conclusion most people have come to. So many units have role overlap or are just so overpriced on an already generally overpriced faction that in makes no sense to bring them other than "fun.

Maybe the March update will finally make the army more interesting, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Our army has some of the worst internal balance in 8th, bare none.

Purifiers are irredeemable garbage while they have a psychic power with less range than a grenade or flamer. Oh, and that's after you park a Brother-Captain nearby to double it to 6". Insane. Crowe is likewise garbage until they give him actual melee power.

Interceptors are fine, but ultimately we want Battalion over Outrider. They can't Fly and their Shunt/'Gate' will only put them at the same range as Strikes going for the Teleport Strike anyway. They're actually costed fine, I just want Fly on them really.

Strikes are the baseline of any list you write, you need 15 minimum. I'd highly recommend taking at least one 10-man unit so you can put 'Psybolt' on them Turn 1 when they land.

Interceptors are fine, but ultimately we want Battalion over Outrider. They can't Fly and their Shunt/'Gate' will only put them at the same range as Strikes going for the Teleport Strike anyway. They're actually costed fine, I just want Fly on them really.

Strikes are the baseline of any list you write, you need 15 minimum. I'd highly recommend taking at least one 10-man unit so you can put 'Psybolt' on them Turn 1 when they land.

I never use more than 5 strike, i love Interceptors too much!! The ignore cover rule is really nice. You can’t shoot after falling back but still, there is some nice tricks to use here!

I always play with 5CP  « only », doing really good so far...

I never use more than 5 strike, i love Interceptors too much!! The ignore cover rule is really nice. You can’t shoot after falling back but still, there is some nice tricks to use here!

I always play with 5CP  « only », doing really good so far... 

You should run Battalion. It's not even hard to meet the requirements. Unless you don't take double GMDK? Because you might be the only GK player who doesn't. Strikes are cheaper by 20 points and just can't start on table, that's the main functional difference. Both die straight away to any meaningful anti-infantry.

I play Battalion+Vanguard usually, and I use all my Command Points by bottom of Turn 1 normally. What armies have you gone up against?

I only use 1 gmdk (hes the leader of an entire company of gk after all), plus I think the new faq will put restrictions on hqs like the new tau book.

I often use the brochamp as a 2nd hq. Hes cheap and surprising killy, and combos well with the raven I usually take.

If I need 3hqs, its a tossup between draigo and a brocap.

A HQ restriction could be coming but doesn't have to. The problem with the T'au Commander is that you couldn't really balance him properly against Crisis Suits due the huge BS gap and all the different weapon options. At least not without costing all the weapons seperately for the Commander (the better the BS the stronger they are the more expensive they should be).

The GMDK in comparison would be rather easy to balance by increasing his base cost.

Another interesting case would be with Tyranids. 5 out of the top 16 lists at the AdeptiCon was Tyranids and each list and 3-5 Flyrants. One even had 7 of them lol

A GMDK restriction similar to Ta’u one doesen’t really affect us. Who plays 2 GMDK usually puts them on 2 different detachments. Moreover I’ve never see anyone play more than 2 GMDK.

In any case I don’t think that GMDK deserve a points increase. It is enough expansive an quite ok for his role.

If they increase the cost of GMDK I will quit the army. They're the only vaguely good aspect left to our game plan. Everything else is mediocre or bad. Mine still both die in a normal game Turn 1 or Turn 2. Restricting them to 1 per detachment would have zero effect on most lists, I already take them that way.

As for HQ restrictions, I think the Command nerf was a hamfisted way of fixing the problem. All they had to do was fix Crisis with a points reduction, and restrict Commanders to two weapons. Instead they implement a restriction that doesn't fix the problem and annoys the player base. Just like Psychic Discipline and Reserves restriction. It's blunt measures to correct design flaws they never should have started with.

I always play with 5CP « only », doing really good so far...

You should run Battalion. It's not even hard to meet the requirements. Unless you don't take double GMDK? Because you might be the only GK player who doesn't. Strikes are cheaper by 20 points and just can't start on table, that's the main functional difference. Both die straight away to any meaningful anti-infantry.

I play Battalion+Vanguard usually, and I use all my Command Points by bottom of Turn 1 normally. What armies have you gone up against?

I’ve gone up against all flavors of DA, astra militarum with tanks and smite spam, tyranids, BA... from différents opponents too. not the most competitives builds but always solids.

I generally use one gmndk with a 2++ for two turns (4cp) and Draigo. My fifth cp is usually for Only in Death or a critical reroll (like the « 1 » for saving against lazcan, or a fail t1 sanctuary).

And I really have a good victory ratio so far (60-70% minimum).

We maybe not so good against ultra-competitives lists but we can do really well in any other meta imho...

@muaddib what do you take in your army out of interest? :smile.:

Lately, i have been running that:

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) [37 PL, 699pts] ++

+ HQ +

Lord Kaldor Draigo [12 PL, 240pts]: Gate of Infinity, Vortex of Doom

+ Elites +

Apothecary [5 PL, 103pts]: Curiass of Sacrifice, Gate of Infinity, Nemesis Daemon Hammer

Paladin Squad [10 PL, 178pts]: Gate of Infinity

. 2x Paladin (Halberd): 2x Storm Bolter

. Paragon: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter

Paladin Squad [10 PL, 178pts]: Gate of Infinity

. 2x Paladin (Halberd): 2x Storm Bolter

. Paragon: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) [71 PL, 1296pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Gametype: Matched

+ HQ +

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight [14 PL, 285pts]: 4: First to the Fray, Dreadfist, Dreadknight teleporter, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Greatsword, Sanctuary, Warlord

+ Troops +

Strike Squad [14 PL, 210pts]: Gate of Infinity

. 9x Grey Knight (Falchions): 9x Storm Bolter

. Grey Knight Justicar: Nemesis Force Sword, Storm bolter

+ Fast Attack +

Interceptor Squad [8 PL, 125pts]: Hammerhand

. 4x Interceptor (Falchions): 4x Storm Bolter

. Interceptor Justicar: Storm bolter, Two Nemesis Falchions

Interceptor Squad [8 PL, 125pts]: Vortex of Doom

Interceptor Squad [8 PL, 125pts]: Hammerhand

+ Flyer +

Stormraven Gunship [15 PL, 352pts]: 2x Stormstrike Missile Launcher, Twin Assault Cannon, Twin multi-melta, Two Hurricane Bolters

+ Dedicated Transport +

Rhino [4 PL, 74pts]: 2x Storm bolter

++ Total: [108 PL, 1995pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

In basic maelstrom of war scenarios, if I have too attack something like a gunline (lately, my day-to-day imperium opponent always play at least a DA spearhead detachement with one predator lazcan, one lazcan deva and one with plasma) :

I deploy the 2x5 interceptors in the Stormraven and one squad in cover. The strikes in the rhino.

Everything else in DP (except somtimes for one "gating" Apo in the SR and the strikes DPing).

Turn one : I heed the prognosticar on my GMNDK and then every one TP and DP within 12'' of the ennemy. The SR go straight forward, in range of Draigo's rerolls.

I always regroup my attacks on one flank, with the intercpetors in front and HQs and Elites in second rank.

I usually manage to take out one or two big threats with the rerolling stormraven (often one predator at list heavily crippled and one deva (almost) eradicate). And some screening units with the stormbolters and smites.

Turn 2 i have lost my stormraven, sometimes dropping a lone apo or even doomglaive dreadnought in front of the ennemy line. My Gmndk takes loads of fire and survive. The remaining interceptors flee and start scoring objectives while staying hidden. Or charge if there is more than two left.

And the big guys start doing their things...

As long that one of my big guys is alive and threatening my remaining interceptors and strikes and the rhino score objos.

After that is in the hands of the dice god (and the one in charge of the objectives cards).

Like I said, i'm not playing any tournament. I've play variations of this list since the codex release, against all kind of lists in all kind of meta (even in narratives games :wink: ) and im really happy with it...

I never use more than 5 strike, i love Interceptors too much!! The ignore cover rule is really nice. You can’t shoot after falling back but still, there is some nice tricks to use here!I always play with 5CP « only », doing really good so far...

I’ve gone up against all flavors of DA, astra militarum with tanks and smite spam, tyranids, BA... from différents opponents too. not the most competitives builds but always solids.

I generally use one gmndk with a 2++ for two turns (4cp) and Draigo. My fifth cp is usually for Only in Death or a critical reroll (like the « 1 » for saving against lazcan, or a fail t1 sanctuary).

And I really have a good victory ratio so far (60-70% minimum).

We maybe not so good against ultra-competitives lists but we can do really well in any other meta imho...

Great. But it is impossible for me use 4 cp for 2++. I really need them for reroll. Last time I had two perils during the same fase in first turn.

Archived