Lightning Stike Vs Venador

RoadRunna

Looking at running either a Sicaran Venatore Tank with Lascannons or Lightning Strike Fighter with Tankhunter/4XKraken/Phosphes Bomb. 

Both are the same points but not sure which to take into my Loyalist EC Army.  Will be running the RoW that will allow the Fighter to automatically come in on turn 2 3 or 4 so it will certainly be around to get its rockets off and then maybe bomb the marines that jump out of their exploded transport.

Thoughts???

(Edit: fixed the Venadore spelling issue ;-)  )

I'd assume we're talking about a Sicaran Venator tank.

Mechanicum has the Krios Venator, but since the OP is refering to a Legion list, my bet is on the Sicaran.

And as for the OP asking, both are good choices, but tend to pile up points really fast. I'd try to keep them as cost-efficient as it gets.

Ultimately, it comes down to the question if you can afford to have your anti-tank come in from reserves, and if you want to dedicate a FA slot or a HS slot.

Lightning is a one shot Tank Killer. You pay 200pts to kill an enemy vehicle (on average, kills a Typhon). Anything after that point is a bonus, but the costs and return begin to seperate that the weapon systems lose their glow. I wouldn't ever take more than 4 weapons on it, because it can shoot 4 missiles at once.

Then in following turns, a Lascannon can rack up additional hull points without having a thread profile.

The Sicaran should have heavy bolter sponsons in case of Weapon Destroyed results, but the combination of its fast movement means it can sneaky flank shocks. I'm a sucker for the Primaris, however, mainly because it leaves yoi with freed up Heavy Support shots.

Depends. If you know opponent will be bringing superheavy AND you have a way to reliably intercept it, take venator. He won't kill it in one turn (fellblade chassis/baneblade) but will shut it down and strip some HP. Vs Spartan chassis - lightning with kraken for instakill (mostly).

• 2 weeks later...

Having one major anti-tank piece is a good idea - as others have said, the Lightning (w/ Ground Tracking Auguries & 2 sets of Kraken Penetrators, and maybe Battle-Servitor Control is you have the points) will more or less explode any non-superheavy in a single turn of shooting, and will likely cripple the lighter Lords of War.  The Venator is also a great tank, though I'd say the snap-shot debuff it applies on a penetrating hit is more valuable than the damage itself - if you can make something like a Typhon only fire snap-shots for the next turn, you have essentially removed it from the game for that turn.

Whichever you choose (for what it's worth, I run the Lightning), make sure you have some other AT sprinkled throughout your army.  More lascannons (Land Raider/Sicaran/Speeders), some melee AT (chainfists) and mid-strength shooting (S 8ish) to help you tackle other armor.

• 1 month later...

A lightning gives you much more tactical flexibility, you'll be less dependent on deployment, movement and line of sight to the target tank of the opponent. Disadvantage is of course that you will be exposed to shooting a turn or worst case two turns from the target tank, but I think that disadvantage is less important compared to the advantage of the lightning being a flyer.

If I had to choose I'd go with the lightning compared to the venator.

Archived