Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Rylds Primaris Minotaur Chapter

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Brother Chaplain Ryld

Brother Chaplain Ryld

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 898 posts
  • Faction: Daemons, Sun Lords

Hey, decided to get into Primaris models and figured I would do a new chapter. Always liked the greek theme so decided to go with the Minotaur chapter. Here is a test model I finished today.

C&C welcome

8ifQDNm.jpg

sdhvCMJ.jpg

Edited by Brother Chaplain Ryld, 24 April 2018 - 04:45 AM.

• Interrogator Stobz and deathspectersgt7 like this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12,675 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
The colors and assembly are well done.
  • Brother Chaplain Ryld likes this
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Sagentus

Sagentus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,627 posts
Loving the colour scheme. The only thing i would possibly change is the imperium crest and go for a different colour to break up the gold/red a bit. Maybe try a white or silver?

Chickenleg

Chickenleg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 276 posts
  • Faction: Shattered Legions

Looks good.

You could give the metal parts some turquoise verdigris effect to break up all this metal. thumbsup.gif

Brother Chaplain Ryld

Brother Chaplain Ryld

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 898 posts

Cheers guys. 

Sagentus, I might do the next model with a silver imperium crest to see how it looks. It would tie in with the silver on the backpack.

Chickenleg, Not sold on the verdigris idea. When I was looking at gold or bronze colour schemes I didn't prefer the ones that had the verdigris effect. I am thinking of doing a muddy base, so could add in some weathering effects to the model.

• Sagentus likes this

Chazzmos

Chazzmos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 344 posts

I like it! Nice and clean, good strong red.  The muddy bases are a good idea.

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,974 posts

He looks cool!

Maybe just a touch too much red on him though, starting to not make it obvious he's a member of the powerful Minotaur chapter.

I think the thigh plates, helm crest and backpack vents could do with being in gold (maybe change up the helm for characters) just to make him a little less busy. Chest eagle in silver as Ryld said too would be great with this.

Brother Chaplain Ryld

Brother Chaplain Ryld

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 898 posts

I have a pic of the plates done in gold. I do prefer the red. The helm crest will only be on characters, even then I am not 100% sold on it.

rdwhGjP.jpg

y3ZXe2V.jpg

Gold plates, with red eyes.

Changed to green eyes and black plates. Still prefer red plates. happy.png

FSIQnCI.jpg

But really appreciate the comments you guys have written. I'll start working on the first of my Intercessors shortly and do the chest icon in silver. For this guy I will paint his vents gold and see what it look like.

Cheers

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12,675 posts
The brass color looks so metallic. Well done.
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Nemisor

Nemisor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 625 posts

the green eyes look much better than the red mate. id suggest the chest eagle in black maybe? 

Alpha Legion Log

http://www.bolterand...ra-wakes-redux/

i1aQnlh.jpg?1

Morngrym

Morngrym

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 88 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka, Raven Guard

Nice to see the Minotaurs done as Primaris!  I like both the Red or Gold plates - maybe a mix of each on different characters?  

Look forward to more.

"We have no room for hope. We plan and we act. Hope is for dreamers and poets. We have our will and our weapons, and we shall dictate our own fate."

— Lord Corax, Primarch of the Legio Astartes Raven Guard.

My Instagram - More of my 30K work, along with other random things can be found here.

Brother Chaplain Ryld

Brother Chaplain Ryld

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 898 posts

Yeah, could do sergeants with red plates, and maybe other higher ranking marines. I've painted the red crest gold and it looks better me thinks. Also changed one of the silver backpack vents to gold for a comparison shot. Pics tomorrow when I get home.

Thanks

Brother Chaplain Ryld

Brother Chaplain Ryld

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 898 posts

E5Pa3Ej.jpg

Crest done in gold. Much better I think. 

r1Y0qNY.jpg

One silver vent, one gold. Just realised I didn't wash inside of the vent. censored.gif

Thoughts on the changes?

Cheres

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12,675 posts
Aren't different colored helmets or helmet crests used to indicate rank?

The Minotaur still looks good, but you need to let us know his rank and which Company he serves in, and give us time to study files on Astartes insignia, before we can say whether or not the colors you gave him are appropriate.

Brother Chaplain Ryld

Brother Chaplain Ryld

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 898 posts

Just looking for C&C on the chosen colours at the moment Bjorn. Not too worried about getting all the appropriate colours correct. 

Cheers

Edited by Brother Chaplain Ryld, 21 March 2018 - 02:25 AM.

Nemisor

Nemisor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 625 posts
Looks good with gold crest and silver vents.

I still think a not red chest eagle thing would work better though

Alpha Legion Log

i1aQnlh.jpg?1

Brother Chaplain Ryld

Brother Chaplain Ryld

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 898 posts

Looks good with gold crest and silver vents.

I still think a not red chest eagle thing would work better though

I'll bring it down next Friday bro and you will be amazed how good it looks. yes.gif

I actually can't imagine it being any better than red. I'll paint the next one white or silver and have a look at them both side by side. No promises though.....msn-wink.gif

Ascanius

Ascanius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,216 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion

I really like the tones you've achieved for those colours; they definitely complement each other well.

One thing I've seen that I quite like is painting the chestplate that the aquila sits on a different colour. These are the Iron Ravens painted by Paul Norton, a member of the GW Army Painter team:

Spoiler

You can see that he uses more blue on higher-ranking characters; while regular troops and their Sergeants have silver chests and thigh plates, the Ancient has blue arms, the Lieutenant also has blue upper chestplate and thigh plates, and the Captain has additional blue plates on his torso.

Aside from the use of colour to denote rank like that, Mk X armour has a lot of opportunities for that sort of colour choice; you could try painting the upper chestplate red, with either a gold aquila or another colour (since some chapter use aquila colour to denote company).

You mentioned you're not sold on the helm crest in red; since Mk X helmets are so similar to Mk IV, you could try painting the faceplate in a different colour, like the 'Eavy Metal scheme for the Betrayal at Calth Dark Apostle:

Spoiler

Edited by Ascanius, 21 March 2018 - 04:47 AM.

Brother Chaplain Ryld

Brother Chaplain Ryld

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 898 posts

Thanks Ascanius, you have given me something to mull over. I like how Paul has kept that uniform look but has a really varied scheme. 

Cheers

Ascanius

Ascanius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,216 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion

No worries! I really like it myself, obviously, and I'm also stealing his recipe for that silver - it's just Leadbelcher washed with a 1:1 mix of Nuln Oil and Nuln Oil Gloss.

Brother Chaplain Ryld

Brother Chaplain Ryld

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 898 posts

In between working on some daemons, I have been giving this model a bit of paint.

8AQn22C.jpg

FkqODaE.jpg

His cloak needs a bit of tidy up, where the white meets the red, and the dark red areas on the cape need tidying up. Other than that I'm happy with his progress.

Thanks

Edited by Brother Chaplain Ryld, 24 April 2018 - 04:56 AM.

Nemisor

Nemisor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 625 posts
Thats what im talkin about. Nice job mate, it looks great.

Alpha Legion Log

i1aQnlh.jpg?1

Brother Chaplain Ryld

Brother Chaplain Ryld

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 898 posts

Cheers bro

0 user(s) are reading this topic