Ice's game/paint blog (mostly sisters)

Beautiful work.

Thanks, I should have around 50 ish, now fully based and ready. I will get a pic soon I hope.

How do you do your power swords? Love how they look!

I don't have "one" way to do power weapons. Usually I just painfully paint one layer at the time, going from dark to white. Variations of styles differ between blades. 

I think the one on the seraphim is done with one orange base, and then apply very diluted yellow 20 -30 times with decreasing paint surface towards one end or the other, then I added the "reflections" by having yellow/white mix and then highlight that with pure white.

With gold color I have noticed, that correctly applying pure white to finish the work, makes or breaks the entire thing.

Oh, so close of getting fully painted and based army on the field. Still missing new superiors, celestine and her bodyguards. 

Furthermore, I need to prepare 2nd seraphim squad.

I am totally in love with the bases, fairly easy to make and they look awesome!

http://i67.tinypic.com/2d16c0g.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2jg4f4o.jpg

Well done. Where'd the blonde with the bolt pistol (front row, on the left of both photos) get the fur trimming her cape? Do the Sisters of this Order hunt wolves and other predators as combat training? Fight these beasts in gladiatorial combat, as an initiation rite for the Order's elites? Or do their admirers gift them mink coats as a sign of favor? Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Some highlights of the past two games,

My list in general

outrider, battalion and auxiliary

3x 5 battle sisters with 3 storm bolters

Celestine + 2 gemini

Canoness (relic)

stock Canoness

8 seraphim with plasma power sword and 2x2 inferno.

2x5 dominion 4 melta and 1 inferno pistol

2x5 retributors one with 4x heavy flamer and one with 4xheavy bolter

2 repressors and one immolator

and finally Inquisitor Greyfax.

(from, today I purged thread)

Faced Aeldari craftworld of  Ulthwé. Tabling the filthy xenos by turn 5.

Maelstorm - Tactical gambit

Purged:

Eldrad

5x seer council

7x Warp spiders

10x Striking scorpions 

Karandras the phoenix lord of the Striking scorpions

2x10 guardian units

10x rangers 

Wave serpent with 5x dire avengers

2 wraith lords

Martyred 

roughly 85-90% of my entire force

Points to note. Seraphim turn one jump to Eldrad's face melted him. Celestine proceeded to mop the entire enemy table edge by herself. killing, 2 guardian teams, wraith lord(seraphim helped), warlocks and a squad of warpspiders. 

Second game was against Tau and the sept was sha'ca or something. I apologize for remembering tau names badly

Enemy surrendered at the end of turn 3, as he had only 1 hammerhead left.

General enemy list

1 suit commander (warlord)

3 characters of who were basically markerlight spammers.

3x10 fire warriors

2x6 pathfinders (all had one ion blaster/cannon) 

8x stealth suits

Deep striking gun/Shield drone group

Riptide XV something something (in picture)

Sun shark bomber

and finally a single Hammerhead with some sort of Ion Cannon

(we used the secret objectives)

Opponent managed to seize, scary first turn, but failed to score a single kill due to my placement of repressor who blocked most of the squishy infantry and ended with only 3 wounds left.

- Surprisingly Celestine did not do that much, put some wounds on the commander and killed one character. (Shield drones are annoying!)

- Greyfax managed to terrify the commander turn one, to prevent overwatch. Finished off a unit of fire warriors. Smited suit commander to death and bolterized an another foot commander.

- Flamers are soo good, heavy flamer team wiped the floor against the stealth suit unit and torched another fire warrior team. 

- Unsurprisingly meltas did good, they melted riptide and the bomber.

Things to note of both games:

- Meltas are really good, doubly so in repressors, I think I might have to get more of repressors, as I am only stuck to two now. 

- Heavy flamer retributors are performing really well. they are pretty hilarious to use. 

- Seraphim and Celestine are doing well for the price.

- Heavy bolter retributor team did not do much on either match as they were being blasted from turn one. Resulting in me spending faith to keep them alive. Still worth I believe, since they soak lot of rounds, as they got 2+ save in cover. 

- Kinda liking the stormbolter battle sister squads. small compact and they throw some dice at the enemy. Now I need to get 15 storm bolters from somewhere!

http://i67.tinypic.com/3149mbk.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/35hiza1.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/2qnw5tz.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So had an another game with the sisters

my list was roughly:

2 melta doms + 2 repressors

2 melta seraphim

repentia, supported with 1 canoness, 1 mistress and one priest within a rhino

heavy bolter repentia

2 imaginifer

2 more canoness

2x penitent engine (picture)

Enemy list was:

2 x Imperial Knights (gatling and reaper, 2nd with battle cannon and gauntlet)

2 x Armiger (Thermal spear, melta gun)

fun things happened, game was really intense and fun to play.

1st turn start

one dom team gets obliterated. I jump both seraphim with faith next to the imperial knight(battle cannon). Unleash everything. 8 meltas, only 8 wounds off.......... . .. . . ..

2nd turn some of the seraphim get obliterated. 

3rd turn 

penitents break cover and charge the imperial knight (gatling), while repentia with their entourage charge an armiger. Remaining seraphim chunk another 10 wounds off the 2nd imperial knight(battle cannon one). Remaining dom team takes 3 wounds off the gatling Imperial knight. Miraculously Penitents take 18 wounds off the Imperial knight. Better yet, Repentias blow up their prey at charge, resulting in some nasty mortals (one penitent dies and repentia lose half their number). 

4th turn

Heavy bolters finish off the battle cannon armed titan, with only 3 wounds left. While last penitent engine flames the 2nd titan to death... Resulting in an explosion. Killing all repentias, canoness, the priest and the final penitent engine.

5th final objective chase, while the last armiger tries to run from dom meltas. I draw kingslayer (one of the imperial knights) and roll a 3. resulting in a win with 13-10 for sisters. 

I will take pics of my repentia when they have been based properly.

http://i63.tinypic.com/27xkxzs.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/2eyb72w.jpg

Edited by Ice warrior

Alright, small update. Finally got my celestine, and I am in full swing getting her ready. 

I am wondering whether the my base design is too much over the top? I was hoping to get that "saving angel, vibe".

Let me know your opinions and maybe alternate base design you might come up with. The marmor slab(s) will be similar to the other sisters.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2qdpwrt.jpg

"Sic 'em, Celestine!"

Or

"Muuummmm, theyre breaking my toys!"

Would go for the wounded soldier look myself, but this looks good.

Would go for the wounded soldier look myself, but this looks good.

I agree; it would justify the passive behavior of the soldier on the base. Alternately, you can put a sniper rifle in that soldier's hand, so it looks like he's designating targets for the Living Saint.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update, finally got half decent picture of my repentia and their mistress. Pain to paint and a pain in the field, 0 fun.

Also, I got my Celestine and her entourage completed. She was so much fun to paint, that I will probably get another one. Before that tho, I need to re-do her wings and hair, both look a bit... bad

Had couple games, one against Tau and another against the "new" Dark eldar. Won both, Celestine is a boss! Even tho she failed her 2+ resurrection against DE. Which naturally resulted in my opponent spending 3cp to block my re-roll.

Summer job started, so expect updates less frequently ( I was previously trying to have one per week), but at least my new work phone got better camera, so a silver lining I guess.

http://i64.tinypic.com/313t7de.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/30w2idt.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Smoll update. 

I got a bunch of Canoness... es? now, but they have the problem of lacking the correct equipment for all weapon loadouts. I am still missing lot of maces, mauls etc., since they seem good.

Still, I managed to make my "relic carrier" Canoness with inferno pistol and a Blade of what ya call it. Made out of seraphim superior. Both hands replaced with canoness ones, and added original sword on the hilt. Plus a warhammer fantasy house icon on top of the packback.

I recon she still needs some tidying up, but that will have to wait, until I get good, or got more time.

Edit: forgot to mention, firearm, is magnetized which allows me to have the proper weapon depending the scenario!

http://i64.tinypic.com/11b6742.jpg

Edited by Ice warrior

• 4 weeks later...

Had a 1k tournament, with 3 games last weekend. Placed third after all said and done. 

My list:

Knight crusader, Saint Celestine, 3xSoB w/SBs and a squad of seraphim. 

1st game: against Alatoic Aeldari list, with waveserpents, darkreapers, dire avengers, rangers, autarch and a farseer.

Managed to achieve tabling by the end of turn 4. Celestine wrecked face, wiping both commanders, waveserpent and a squad of dire avengers.

crusader, wiped out the rest in tandem with battlesisters.

2nd game: Against ork horde. 2x30 choppa and 1x30 shoota plus 8 grot cannons. 3 heroes, pain boy, weirdboy and a warboss. 

Messed up at the beginning and fed one of my sister teams for free. Cunningly I kept rest of my army hidden from cannons. 2nd turn, Orks moved and generated a Celestine sized gap with uneven advance moves. Promptly I moved Celestine 24" next to the blob of ork champions and proceeded to end them. Next 4 turns were pretty much a blood bath between a knight, Celestine and the 100+ orks in one giant melee. Luckily Emperor protected as Celestine was able to fend off literally hundreds of attacks and healing faster than the orks managed to wound. Roughly 60 or so passed 2+ saves. 5 geminaes died and celestine received 8-9 wounds. Truly a lucky game. End result 19-1 as game ended before I was able to table my opponent. (2 groups of grots left).

3rd and last game: Was against a knight Gallant, Knight crusader and a single Helverin. (knight list)

Well I had the entire tournament been throwing freeblade statistics. and this time it bit me bad. Failed burden checks 2 times only once being able to save it with a command reroll. Failed further 2 acts of faith and the revive for Celestine. With Seraphim inferno pistols, missed all hits and then they promptly died.

But not all was all to my bad luck. I placed my knight too close, and the Gallant managed to get a 2nd turn charge with a massive advance roll. I think it was 12" move, 6" advance + 2" +" double the advance, or some such. Since my Shooty Knight was burdened by only hitting with 6s, it made damaging the opponent hard. Sadly I failed to remember that my Freeblade Quality was +1 to WS, which, would have probably killed the Gallant. Eventually after the loss of Knight and Celestine not being able to make saves nor +5 wound rolls. I had no units in field left to fight with. Game ended pretty much on turn 2, but we wanted to continue and eventually finishing in turn 4. By me getting wiped out. The knight player's tournament resulted in complete 60-0 win, with 3 wipeouts. I won't say that knight are OP, since with little better luck and me not being spastic that game would have been winnable.

Anyway was a fun tournament, and managed to field my freshly painted knight. On friendlier games, with 1k points I would probably not take knight nor Celestine with, although my list consisted what I wanted more than what was good.

Unit summaries:

Knight -> OP

Celestine -> OP

Sob -> Good

Canoness with relic blade(she fought only once in the entire game, was pretty much insignificant) -> idk

seraphim -> generated 3 wounds in total of 3 matches. Massive waste of points. but at the same time, those meltas were a prio target for the enemy, so they tended to siphon off wounds from Celestine. So... IDK bad maybe?

Veey nice. Kudos for the Crusader going the holy trinity loadout ;) If i ever get my hands on an AGC, I'll be ripping the chainsword off my errant to make one up.

I too did the Knight Crusader, my Penitent Knight, as close to the "Holy trinity" of weapons as possible. Thermal cannon, Avenger gatling gun, melta gun, heavy flamer, and in a nod to the Exorcist, the Stormspear rocket pod.

You post (Ice Warrior) has pushed me out of denial: I realized I'd been charging things with Seraphim as if I thought it would do something for years now (and especially in 8th they're worthless in melee). Thanks for the wake up call :D

On the other hand, I'm not going to stop charging Seraphim into melee hoping they'll do something, and you can't make me (it's what faith is all about :P ).

• 4 months later...

http://i66.tinypic.com/2uh4k0o.jpgPuuh, finally a bit of an update. I have been building and painting model airplane for a change. I start to appreciate the high quality of GW products after building that plane... gaps everywhere! 

Anyway, finally finished all my seraphim, 25 in total(6 with flamers and 6 superiors ). Still missing backpacks, since I have not yet found a decent pair of wings anywhere. (I prefer the swooping hawk ones, but damn they would get expensive.)

Sadly I ran out of the clay, so no more bases, until  I get a fresh new pack.

What else?

Well I played a match against my buddy, necrons again... Lost sadly, tho mostly fault of my list. I decided to try a list with emphasis on flamers(around 35 total). 3 squads of seraphims with 2 pairs of hand flamers per unit. Dear god it sucked. I guess to no surprise to anyone.