Patreon Vote!  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Monkey Poll

With 11 votes in favor, the first proposal on the survey, establishing an art pool, passes. 

And all likely potential votes have now been cast in regards to the overall Patreon vote, coming to a final tally of 15 yays, 1 nay, and 4 ambivalents. 

Given the voting pattern on a couple of the other proposals, I'm establishing a close date for the monkey survey. It will close on April 12th, if it does not have 21 responses.

Given conversation and feedback, I decided to play again with SurveyMonkey and came up with this poll: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FLY9SV9. It's purely about member compensation, and I am testing the ranking system. I think 1 is the 'most favored'? And 5 is the lowest rank. Not sure, couldn't confirm in the preview. Not sure if it matters if we're the ones defining what is best or worst.

So, assume 1 is best, or the response that rings the strongest with you. 

Spoke with my wife about reward ideas. She suggested patrons could have the ability to submit writing prompts for us to fill out each month. Sort of the literary version of art commissions. She also suggested about having our own campaign scenarios, like the Fate of Konor. Finally, she suggested that for high-tier patrons, personal interviews from us to the patrons.

Campaigns would serve as a nice gauge for interest and rules testing.

Good points. While all of the Primarchs are obviously represented on the DoR, there are still a thousand other battles and campaigns that we could do, if we want to start at that early point of time.

And we can easily switch from Astartes vs. Astartes, Regiment vs. Regiment, or Forge World vs. Forge World. 

Okay, I'm trying to tie in all of the scattered ideas and create a coherent patron tiered system for us to judge. 

Tier 1 (Initiate): $1

• A single campaign Vote
  • Access to locked content(?)

Tier 2 (Sergeant): $5

• 5 campaign votes
  • Access to locked content(?)
  • A single entry into raffle
  • Given credit in rulebook's Afterword

Tier 3 (Lieutenant): $10

• Previous Rewards
  • Can submit a monthly prompt
  • 5 entries into raffle
  • Given Credit into rulebook's Acknowledgements

Tier 4 (Captain): $25

• Previous Rewards
  • Discord Access(?)

Tier 5 (Chapter Master): $50

• Previous Rewards
  • Can request a one-on-one interview with a crew member
  • A hero model (courtesy of Mikhal, Blind)

Tier 6 (Primarch): $100

• Previous Rewards
  • Bound print of rulebook

Potential locked/delayed content

Battle Reports

Monthly Podcasts

Stories

*Raffle dependent on Patreon Investment pool

EDIT: Wife suggests switching literary prompt and discord access.

I'm offering it in general, to be used as you see fit

Fair enough. We can add you alongside Mikhal, which could be a big help if the demand gets high.

Based on responses, I'll switch to the writing category. 

Tomorrow is the deadline for completing the Budget Survey. However, I now this is extra work, but I ask any future participants to skip the compensation question in that survey and instead reply to it here.

A few remainder questions need to be addressed:

• One, should Discord Access to a reward? If so, do we want to add fan channels to our current server or create an entirely new server?
  • Two, in regards to where literary prompts goes, a little context. My wife suggested it be higher because she was worried that we would be overwhelmed by a potential high demand. I thought this wasn't going to be an issue because we would limit ourselves to a monthly pool of submissions and would announce one we would pick. I can see either way working.
  • Three, my wife also suggested exclusive writing pieces, much like art. Now, how do the other writers feel about this? Personally, I don't like the idea of creating a story that could potentially not be used to build our universe for the public.
  • Four, raffle ideas?

I think that's it. In addition to the page itself, we should establish a priority list for art, models, and the order in which our painters deploy. 

Thorn has suggested that we could also offer to create exclusive/custom rulesheets for patrons. Along with early access for everything we produce, except the rulebooks. And, to allow certain tiers to judge Monthly Challenge entries.

Today is the last day to vote on the surveys. 

Also, here is a revamped Patron Tier system after feedback on Discord, especially from Thorn.

Tier 1 (Sub-Ordinate): $1

• 1 campaign Vote

Tier 2 (Ordinate): $5

• Can judge Monthly Fluff Challenge entries
  • 1 entry into raffle
  • Given credit in rulebook's Afterword
  • One-Month Early Access
  • Previous Reward

Tier 3 (Adept): $10

• Previous Rewards
  • Can submit a monthly writing prompt
  • Three-month Early Access
  • 3 entries into raffle
  • Given Credit into rulebook's Acknowledgements

Tier 4 (Prefect): $25

• Previous Rewards
  • Discord Access
  • Can submit a rulesheet request

Tier 5 (Tribune): $50

• Previous Rewards
  • Can request a one-on-one interview with a crew member
  • A hero model (courtesy of Mikhal, Blind)

Tier 6 (Grandmaster): $100

• Previous Rewards
  • Bound print of rulebook

Potential locked/delayed content

Battle Reports

Monthly Podcasts

Stories

Art pieces

[is there anything else a $1 patron should get? I'm also iffy on the early access. Not the concept, but the execution. Should we just have it staged one month ahead of time? Two months? Three? Thoughts?]

It has officially been a week. I am now closing the survey. All budgeting proposals have passed. Compiling all of the responses to the membership compensation, the compensation system will be optional, will include an option to redirect earned funds, and have a work requirement.

I am accepting suggestions for the work requirement. While a few members have already declared whether or not they want to opt out of the compensation system, I'd like everyone to declare whether they want to participate in the system, if they want to use the redirect option (and where the redirected funds will go to), or if they want to opt out of the system entirely.

EDIT:

Willing Interviewees
Sig(?)
Helter
Sim
Blind
Kel

Compensation Choice

Mikhal (Yes)
Blind (Yes)
Redd (Yes)
Sim (Yes)

Grifft (Yes)

Blunt (No)
San (No)
Raktra (No)
Thorn (No)

Beren (No)

Sig (Rediect to Art)
Helter (Redirect to Art)
Talon (Redirect to Art)
Demus (Redirect to Art)
Skal (Redirect to Art)

Painter/Modelers

Mikhal 

Blind 

Raktra (Patience Proviso)

Nate

Helter

Sim's wife

Thorn

AO

Redd

Thorn (single models)

• 1 month later...

It's evident from reading this topic just today that the B&C Admins should have been brought into the discussion on the front end to provide guidance. Admittedly, we never even considered any sort of financial aspects to special projects when we first allowed them to be conducted, considering everything to be a labor of love "by hobbyists and for hobbyists" (to paraphrase myself when I shut down the Kickstarter discussion in 2016). Crowdfunding has become more and more prevalent, however, and this project's revisiting of crowdfunding has prompted the admins to consider developing our guidelines on how crowdfunding might be used for special projects here at the B&C. I know that Kurgan the Lurker responded to a query on the theoretical use of Patreon, but his response was limited and didn't address this project's actual plan for using funds raised through crowdfunding since those plans weren't relayed to him.

So the B&C admins are currently developing our policies for special projects, including crowdfunding in support of projects. These policies will be designed around protecting the B&C and ensuring that it remains a resource available to WH40K hobbyists without running afoul of any legal complications. Those policies will be finalized very soon and communicated to our members, after which time, we'll discuss options for this project.

It's evident from reading this topic just today that the B&C Admins should have been brought into the discussion on the front end to provide guidance. Admittedly, we never even considered any sort of financial aspects to special projects when we first allowed them to be conducted, considering everything to be a labor of love "by hobbyists and for hobbyists" (to paraphrase myself when I shut down the Kickstarter discussion in 2016). Crowdfunding has become more and more prevalent, however, and this project's revisiting of crowdfunding has prompted the admins to consider developing our guidelines on how crowdfunding might be used for special projects here at the B&C. I know that Kurgan the Lurker responded to a query on the theoretical use of Patreon, but his response was limited and didn't address this project's actual plan for using funds raised through crowdfunding since those plans weren't relayed to him.

So the B&C admins are currently developing our policies for special projects, including crowdfunding in support of projects. These policies will be designed around protecting the B&C and ensuring that it remains a resource available to WH40K hobbyists without running afoul of any legal complications. Those policies will be finalized very soon and communicated to our members, after which time, we'll discuss options for this project.

Understood and thank you for the alert. We await these policies with bated breath.

Archived