Declining Customer Service from Forge World

sturguard

Hey folks,

I just wanted to share the experiences I have had lately with Forgeworld and see if anyone had similar experiences or had any insight as to why things have seemingly changed in customer service.

So I have always bragged about GW/Forgeworld customer service. I can't say I always agreed with the models or prices but their service was always second to none.

Several months ago I emailed FW and asked if they had any reference cards left when you purchased an Age of Darkness Rulebook. I waited approximately 2 weeks, never got a response, so emailed again, waited and emailed again... After almost two months I said screw it and ordered one off Ebay. Perhaps they couldn't be bothered to check their stock, perhaps they wanted me to order and just take my chances, I wasn't willing to do that and they evidently weren't willing to respond.

I'm not going to rehash a whole argument (nor do I want to start another) but the fact that FW could flip flop the bolters on the Grey Slayers kit and then deny the mistake and say that's the way they are supposed to be is just crazy. Admit your mistake, take your lumps and move on.

So I purchased a genuine Magnus model off ebay from a hobby store in the UK- came with the box and was partially assembled. Turns out when I get the kid, some pieces were missing on top of that. Rather than create a big fuss I worked with the seller and have been gradually assembling the model. However there were no assembly instructions included, so I emailed FW and asked for the pdf file. I have done this several times in the past and never had an issue. The response I got was that I needed to provide proof of purchase. Okay, I take some screen shots of the model I purchased off ebay, told them the story and asked for the PDF file. I mean they aren't making money off the pdf file and it is an official FW model. Yet, here we are again, I am being given the cold shoulder and haven't gotten a response from FW.

All in all, it seems they have shifted focus to mass producing as many models and lines as quickly as possible with no quality control or thoughts of good customer service.

So, has anyone else experienced anything like this of late? And, does anyone have a pdf file for Magnus the Red?

Thanks!

I don't really know if this is on the same order of magnitude, or even if this is normal for FW, but I placed an order last saturday and then on friday received an email to say it had shipped.

Maybe my expectations are unrealistic but I expected it to be shipped monday. This is my second order (ever) and the first was a long time ago but I don't recall this happening before.

The best bet is to call them, because that way you basically skip the queue. I've had some poor experiences with FW over the last year, mainly due to one of their service members being snarky, but I think that's an exception to the rule as their service is generally very good.

Opposite for me. I actually broke a piece from a model I purchased (badly and beyond repair), and contacted them to see if I could buy replacement parts as I didn't want to waste a whole kit. Once I e-mailed with poof of purchase they replaced the parts (It was a tank turret). This was way above and beyond what I'd expect, and I do feel I caught someone in a particularly good mood but it was impressive none the less. I don't expect this will be repeated in future.

Perhaps once a kit changes hands it's no longer covered in their eyes? I don't know. One thing I do know is that they have been incredibly busy in recent months - I think the lack of emails is just an unfortunate side effect of this. You never know, staff issue or sickness could have affected their customer services?

The best bet is to call them, because that way you basically skip the queue. I've had some poor experiences with FW over the last year, mainly due to one of their service members being snarky, but I think that's an exception to the rule as their service is generally very good.

The same customer service representative has given me .... Curt responses that I found on the condescending side. (Having worked public facing customer service in the past, when required me to tell a customer "no" you generally attempt not to blame the customer regardless of culpability....)

Well, my last experience with their customer service (around January) was pretty good, and although it is true that they took a bit of time to answer me it was completely worth it. The mkV kit I ordered had a missing arm, so I decided to send them an e-mail (I felt a bit bad contacting them for a single arm, but I must admit I was tempted to see for myself the good reputation their costumer service usually has). They sent me a whole new kit just to replace a single arm. While I had read instances where they sent a full kit to replace miscasted pieces, it was with tanks and other big miniatures or vehicles, so I didn't really expect them to send me a full kit. Just an anecdote that I wanted to share.

I am sorry to read that, Sturguard, and I hope someone can help you with the assembly instructions. I want to think that your bad experiences have just been an unfortunate situation, and your messages were "lost" in a pile of e-mails (these past months seems FW has been quite busy answering mails about some of their releases, specially HH wolves, and about their release schedule). Hopefully now that this episode seems to have calmed down, FW customer services will come back to their usual quality, as so far it was one of their best qualities.

I've had the same experience when requesting pdf instructions a couple of years ago. The guy wasn't rude or anything, but would absolutely not provide me with the instructions without proof of purchase. I found 'em on the internet soon after, so no big loss. 

I've had the same experience when requesting pdf instructions a couple of years ago. The guy wasn't rude or anything, but would absolutely not provide me with the instructions without proof of purchase. I found 'em on the internet soon after, so no big loss.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WarhammerInstructions/

If anyone else is wondering where to find instructions.

Jarl,

I had come across that site in my Google-fu, however I did not find any Magnus instructions on the site.

Ishagu- they have never sold individual parts or pieces of their models, you either get a full new kit, or get nada. Again, we aren't talking about a new kit, we are talking about a pdf file. Whether I bought it directly from them or not, its an official FW piece and the directions are free (doesnt even cost them anything to email them to me).

Again, its not just one incident, its essentially every time I have dealt with them in the past half year.

Jarl,

I had come across that site in my Google-fu, however I did not find any Magnus instructions on the site.

Ishagu- they have never sold individual parts or pieces of their models, you either get a full new kit, or get nada. Again, we aren't talking about a new kit, we are talking about a pdf file. Whether I bought it directly from them or not, its an official FW piece and the directions are free (doesnt even cost them anything to email them to me).

Again, its not just one incident, its essentially every time I have dealt with them in the past half year.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WarhammerInstructions/comments/6iyoqq/thousand_sonschaos_space_marines_magnus_the_red/

It's FW Magnus the Red, so 30K. Here you go:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WarhammerInstructions/comments/6ss9qa/the_horus_heresy_magnus_the_red_primarch_of_the/

As far as FW Customer Service, I've never really had an issue. They do take a while to respond to email, but then again there's not much staff so I've always expected a wait. Other than that, let's also remember they've had a huge mess place on them with Necromunda, HH, Fire of Cyraxis or whatever, Alan Bligh passing, and it seems sculptors quitting (from what I understand the SW guy quit, which... thank the gods). On top of that, you're asking for Customer Service on something you didn't even purchase from them and for all they know is a recast, so let's not act like you're entitled to anything in this situation. 

There has been a change in the last year or two, with FW really coming into its own. They are most likely being pulled towards GWs policies of eBay hatred (for good reason even if it's for things we don't like), and a shift away from the concept of "the customer is always right". I've read a few posts about not getting what people have wanted from FW csr's, and some like the pdf request and the multiple replacement kit of mk II I completely understand.

In general I have had great service from the company level reps, such as a single missing piece from a valkrye that they sent me an entire sprue as a replacement, or reviewing the wrong kits from FW and being told "keep those, well send the right ones today".

I had a dent in my age of darkness rulebook. Mailed them a picture and while it took time (5 days) before i got a reply they sent me a replacement via ups.

Similar expierience when they missed to sent a bottle of paint. Got the entire order again and complete. Cant say there is problems with them

Again, I wouldn't say they have great customer service because they replace broken or damaged products. That's like someone saying you are an excellent employee because you go to work when you should. Most companies have return policies on broken or damaged goods, FW just knows it isnt worth the freight charge to have someone ship the damaged model back. Let's face it, the resin is worth pennies. If they had to cover shipping back to the UK for broken models, they would be losing money most likely. We already know FW replaces broken models- that isn't in question here we are discussing the other aspects of customer service, communication, etc. It seems like alot of folks have been having issues with communication. Does it seem their support staff has gone down in age? The fact that they just stop emailing you when they don't like your response seems really childish.

@ Duskraider: thanks so much for the link.

I think the reluctance with instructions has more to do with the likelihood that people are buying recasts (not you specifically), so they don’t want to help out the “enemy,” so to speak.

Oh I get that but really you aren't dissuading anyone from buying a recast by not supplying the occasional customer with assembly instructions, yet you are failing some loyal customers along the way.

My issue again is not that they did or didn't supply the directions, its the trend that they stop or fail to respond to emails. 

Yeah, I hear ya. They stopped responding to my e-mails completely, I feel like I’m on a blacklist or something haha. Somewhat more responsive on Facebook, though the answer usually boils down to, “I’m not the right person to answer this question, but I’ll pass it along to the right people.” Of course, there’s no way of knowing whether or not they do...

Did you buy new or second hand? You just said partially assembled and missing pieces which would indicate second hand to me. Either way, I believe your problem is with, and should be corrected by, the person/shop who sold it to you.

You also mentioned that you sent them photos and explained the story when they asked for proof of purchase but did you actually send them proof of purchase?

Throwing someone a PDF is no biggy but I do understand why they might take that position because of re-casts.

As for the Grey Slayers pistols? I don’t think that’s customer service. If they say it the design, it’s the design. We can’t prove otherwise. It might be a crap design, but it’s not bad customer service to release a crap design. Bad business though.

Emails not being answered is pretty poor form though. As much as I hate Social Media, it is a helpful tool for things like that. FW’s Facebook would be my next step there.

You asked for something, they asked for proof of purchase, neither of you got what they asked for.

Not seeing the issue.

Caveat emptor. The onus is on the person you bought it from to sell the complete kit. You bought it as incomplete. If you didn't realise it was incomplete, eBay has a refund and feedback system.

Xenith,

So the fact that I sent them a follow up email with information about my order and they never responded is not an issue?

Or the fact I sent them 3 emails looking to get more information about one of their products without a response isn't an issue?

Really?

Did you provide an order receipt? Information about your order is not proof of purchase.

Look at it from FW’s perspective: You have an item that you didn’t buy from them. It has pieces missing. You do not attempt to solve the issue through the person/company that you bought it from. You fail to provide proof of purchase when requested and instead tell them you got it off ebay. If I was FW, I would be thinking re-cast. I’m not accusing you of that, I’m just trying to explain what they might be thinking.

And Xenith is correct, you should have spoken to the seller - you buy a shirt from somewhere, you take it back there. Not the manufacturer.

I work in retail. We do not manufacture the products we sell but the process for refunds/complaints/troubleshooting always goes through us first, then the manufacturer if needed. Maybe different in different countries though, I don’t know.

You were after insight into FW’s customer service and only FW can really give that but, as a retailer, I hope I have shed some light on the other side of the story.

Again, proof of purchase is the key here. I know a lot of people and companies that will go to great lengths to help a customer if they have proof of purchase, and FW is one of those in my limited experiece with them. But without it (and it is your responsibility to provide it), you’re going to find it difficult to get far.

That’s a long post that may seem like an attack - it is not intended as such. As I say, I work in retail and I have seen situations like this before.

I'd tend to doubt it.

I've spent enough time answering phones to recognise a fob-off from a hundred yards.

I have a non-customer service role at an exam board that nevertheless involves being on the phone a fair bit and answering lots of email queries where people ask me plenty of auxiliary things I simply don't know the answer to and I can tell them I'll pass it on with all the sincerity in the world, but I have no control over whoever I'm forwarding it to. They could answer instantaneously or consign the query to the abyss for all I know.

CS aren't necessarily fobbing, but there's no way to know.

My last interaction with FW customer service was a positive. I ordered some Kakophoni and it was missing bases. I asked them the base size since I didn't want to wait for them to ship me out the missing bases. They gave me the base size and I got on with it. The email was answered within 24 or 48 hours as well.

Archived