Budget Wulfen conversion

Ratherdashing

First time poster here. I've collected Space Wolves for awhile, and I've accumulated some other bits through yard sales and the like. I've got this bag of fantasy Chaos Marauders that I've been contemplating trying to turn into Wulfen with the help of Space Wolf heads and weapons. They're not really mutated like Wulfen, but they do have the ragged clothes and I'm wondering if a good paint job could accomplish a furry look. I don't really like the Wulfen models, plus I'd love to save a bit of money using bits I already have and like.

What do you guys think? Are the proportions too far off, or with the SW heads and weapons will it look alright? My biggest hurdle is the static poses the Marauders have. Do you have any tips for reposing the legs to look more dynamic? I've never used greenstuff but I'd be willing to experiment if you thought it would work for fur.

Does anyone think this project has merit, or is it just too much of a stretch?

Really good question.

If it were me, I'd get some silly putty or blue-tac, something that will let you do some test mock ups. The goal would be to "simulate" what one of  thees guys would look like and see if you are comfortable with the effect.

You may already know this, but if not, the  earlier versions of  the Wulfen were mostly power armored figrues with bare arms and wolfy heads.

<I'm just guessing at this now, but...> If I had the bits you've described, I would consider taking the arms from the Marauders that are kind of bulked up and marrying them to  a SM torso. If that  looks it will scale, then you can use  some SM weapons or even some of the Marauder weapons and you're almost there.

Heads....well, the sort of accepted imagery is "werewolf" heads. There's a couple of things  you can do here, try bits sellers and  see if you can get some from  the kit or, jumping back to your offer to attempt GSing, maybe try your hand at sculpting a lot hair on a human head to give you that "Lon Chaney"  version of a werewolf.

Working with GS for this kind of task isn't that difficult. There are probably videos out  there that  will demonstrate this technique, plus the Forge area on this forum has tutorials that will help you out.

Basically:

1. Mix up a small little bit of GS. Rule of thumb, it's better to work with a little than have a bunch left over that you suddenly have to find something to make out of.

2. Have a small cup of water nearby so you can dip your fingers in it as well as your tools and keep the GS from sticking to everything except your model. Don't be afraid to be a frequent dipper.

3. Put the little bit of GS around the mouth and beard area. Let it sit for around 5 minutes or so. What is happening  during  this time is that  GS is starting to cure and attach itself to your model.

4. If you  don't have any tools to add texture, and for this you don't need any, use your modeling knife  to  drag some hair like texture into the GS. Soft and easy as you go. Continue  to add lines, working from  the bottom  to the top.

5. Once you  have the GS they  way you like, let it finish curing. I usually let mine cure overnight.

Tips: Don't try to do everything all at once. Work in layers and stages. For example, if you want to make a pelt, then roll out a flat area and attach it to the model..say, on the shoulders. Let that dry overnight. Then go back and add another layer of  GS on top of that and do the  "hair" thing to make your pelt.

I hope some of that helps.

Worst case  get some of you bits together, do a mock up and then post the pics here so we can see what you're looking at.

You can do this. :)

Cheers,

Yep it's got merit.  I've converted a lot of Marauders over the years to be all kinds of SW, from Scouts to Heroes.  I know the new Wulfen models have all these really over the top dynamic poses, but for me I've kept most of my conversions standing stock still, I find the way the weapons are held can make them look way menacing than any kind of jumping around. 

It's hard to explain (and I don't have pics  to post at the moment, but will dig some out), but imagine when you think of the tough guy look, he's not the one raging away posturing, the real killer is the one stood casually there, he's the one you need to look out for.

Now if you have any Sw with furs already, then you could take moulds from them and make some of your own, it's real simple process.

Here's some pics of my wulfen I've done.

First guy is using a Marauder with a Wulfen head and Axe:

20180320 210902

Then this guy is made from a Stormcast Eternal and some Wulfen bits and some green-stuff bits I made with some moulds from other SW parts - and a lot of hacking around to make him battle damaged:

Wulfen

Neither are jumping around, but I still think they look menacing.

The first guy is certainly about to Axe someone a question! I love that model, wonderful conversion.

Please paint up the second one? I don't quite get why, there's something off about the Stormcast Eternal conversion one; I cannot yet figure out what it is right now, though.

The first guy is certainly about to Axe someone a question! I love that model, wonderful conversion.

Please paint up the second one? I don't quite get why, there's something off about the Stormcast Eternal conversion one; I cannot yet figure out what it is right now, though.

Ah thanks I do like converting the Marauders. I like the fact they look quite bulky with the furs:-)

I think with the 2nd guy, it's maybe the length of the arms - I cut the Stormcast at the elbow and cut the Wulfen arm up to the elbow, but I think the arms are a bit too long, if they were straightend out and by his sides, they would go past his knees (I just had to stand-up and check my arms don't go past my knees!).

Greenstuff is on its way to me. :) I'm trying the power armor torsos with the Marauder arms and legs for now. Debating whether I am okay with the crude Marauder bludgeons as Thunder Hammers or if I should just use the couple of real THs I have left. I have tons of SSs, though I like the shapes of the Marauder shields (lol, Marauder Shields) if I can just file off or cover up all the chaos symbols.

I could use some advice for frost claws and Wulfen claws. The frost claws I am honestly considering just dual wielding frost swords as counts-as, just for Rule of Cool and because I always like more swords. I don't know about Wulfen claws though. I have buckets of Wolf claws but they're just too bulky. I think I may use the Marauder torsos for the naked Wulfen for a more feral look (and because I only have five PA torsos to work with). Any ideas on the claws?

Alright, I think hopping on my PC is helping. Here's my first try: PA torso, Marauder arms and legs, with a SW axe extended out with a Marauder spear shaft so the arms could reach. Gonna add fur on the top of the head and (camera) left arm, and paint his thighs bare and furry with a loincloth and boots.

med_gallery_105909_14348_82340.jpg

Ok, this is what I think.

Top half, two thumbs up.

Bottom half...the legs look small to me. It could be the camera angle, but from the knee  down doesn't look  right. Do you think you could snap a full on shot, or just  check it  and see what you think.

You're on the right track.

I have tons of SSs, though I like the shapes of the Marauder shields (lol, Marauder Shields) if I can just file off or cover up all the chaos symbols.

I wouldn't file off too much. Remember, in the original incarnation, Wulfen (and  the 13th Co) wore armor that was taken from their victims. So some Chaos  iconography is to be expected.

I could use some advice for frost claws and Wulfen claws. The frost claws I am honestly considering just dual wielding frost swords as counts-as, just for Rule of Cool and because I always like more swords.

Yes, I would definitely do this.

I don't know about Wulfen claws though. I have buckets of Wolf claws but they're just too bulky. I think I may use the Marauder torsos for the naked Wulfen for a more feral look (and because I only have five PA torsos to work with). Any ideas on the claws?

For similar reasons, I am looking into using some sheet plastic make  some metal shards that  would be attached to the forearm (probably attach them with dental  floss), so that you get a more feral looking weapon.

Alright, greenstuff is on and looks a lot better than I expected for my first try!

I tried to get a more full-on shot here. Let me know if the legs still look out of proportion. I just used the standard Marauder legs.

med_gallery_105909_14348_759639.jpg

And some more angles of the fur:

sml_gallery_105909_14348_70419.jpgsml_gallery_105909_14348_1202587.jpg

sml_gallery_105909_14348_879566.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality pics. Having a hard time getting the camera to focus on the right part of the model. I'm pretty happy with it so far, but let me know what you think!

Yes, I think the legs are too short for as broad as he is in the chest.

Options:

1. Use PA legs, which does go back  to the original concept.

2. But you wanted to use the Marauder legs. So, I'd say, cut the  legs across the thigh and the shin. Then insert a plastic spacer made from sheet plastic. Then GS the gaps doing  the hair thing around  it  like you've done.

I really wouldn't mess with "from the waist up", I think you nailed it. It's just that the Marauders are human proportioned.

My two yen.

Could I just use greenstuff to extend that space? Or sprue plastic with GS around it? I don't know where I'd get sheet plastic from.

Short answer, "Yes", those will work. If you're going to just fill in the gaps with GS, I would recommend inserting a pin in the leg to give it some stability.

However, using  some plastic sprue to  fill some of the space will also work, then fill in the gap.

You're almost there!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some pics of my wulfen I've done.

First guy is using a Marauder with a Wulfen head and Axe:

Then this guy is made from a Stormcast Eternal and some Wulfen bits and some green-stuff bits I made with some moulds from other SW parts - and a lot of hacking around to make him battle damaged:

Neither are jumping around, but I still think they look menacing.

Those look really good!! 

I was just curious if anyone has tried Wulfen head and arms with Primaris bodies?

I was just curious if anyone has tried Wulfen head and arms with Primaris bodies?

Check my thread.

TL;DR: Yes ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got time to dive back into this project! Cut off the legs at the knees, inserted a disc of sprue plastic and filled in with green stuff. Guy on the left is modified, guy on the right is a second Wulfen I started before I decided to change the legs, given for size comparison. Hopefully now the legs don't look as stubby compared to the SW torso.

med_gallery_105909_14348_1672423.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Update on my progress if anyone is still interested. Got the legs heightened and greenstuff fur added on five Wulfen, and a base coat put on. I've got five done for a base squad size: two with shields and two with axes.

med_gallery_105909_14348_156867.jpg

sml_gallery_105909_14348_832059.jpg sml_gallery_105909_14348_423585.jpg

From here I plan to paint these guys, and in case I want a mega-squad I will convert up five more, these as naked Wulfen. My plan is to make those more feral with the original Marauder torso bulked up with fur. I am still undecided on the Wulfen Claws. The most complicated idea (probably too complicated) is to cut off the fingers from the marauder fists and extend out clawlike fingers from the remaining knuckle of the hand. Another possibility is to keep the fist but add Wolverine-like metal claws on either side. My third thought is to keep the first and extend out a bony claw protrusion from the fist itself, like Wolverine had before the adamantium. Any thoughts on these ideas, or feedback on what I've got so far?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived