Escalating tournament, 500/1000/1500/2000

Paladin777

I might be entering in a local tournament next weekend and I was looking for possible advice.

The tournament is a sort of escalation setup where there are 4 games. The first at 500 pts, second at 1000 pts, third at 1500 pts, and the 4th at 2000.

I have only one squad of 10 tzaangors at my disposal, but lots of rubricae at my disposal, both marines and SOT’s. Some predators, a defiler, a baledrake, a few plasma Helbrutes, and all manner of sorcerers. I was thinking something kinda like this

500- patrol

Ahriman on disc

6 rubric marines

6 rubric marines

10 tzaangors with instrument (probably in webway)

1000- battalion

Ahriman on disc

Twin sword exalted on disc

Squad 10 rubrics with soulreaper cannon

Squad 7 rubrics

Squad 10 tzaangors with instrument

Squad 5 SOT with SRC and hellfyre launcher

1500 batallion

Ahriman on disc

Twin sword exalted on disc

10 rubric with SRC

10 rubrics with SRC

10 tzaangors with instrument

Vanguard-

Termie sorcerer

5 SOT’s with SRC and launcher

Helbrute with plasma and fist

Helbrute with plasma and scourge

Battalion

Ahriman on disc

Double sword exalted

11 rubrics with SRC

10 rubrics with SRC

10 tzaangors with brayhorn

Auto-las predator

Auto-las predator

Vanguard detachment

Termie sorcerer with familiar

8 SOT with SRC and hellfyre launcher

Helbrute with fist and plasma

Helbrute with scourge and plasma

Let me know what you guys think, any constructive criticism would be welcome.

Edited by Paladin777

At my FLGS I have done two escalation league things. At 500 points one player brought two kastellans in admech which with all rules and equipment something like 36 shots a turn. Another guy brought 2 leman russ tanks. So you have to be wary of that.

Otherwise I love Tzaangors and the more the better for me, but you don't have more. If you have a demon prince or access to a demon prince I would use him he is great.

Maybe a spearhead with 2 preds and the Defiler with an Exalted? Re-roll ones to hit and can cast temporal manipulation to put wounds back on your tanks.

I've really started to like the Defilers as an option, with Scourge.

With all the Daemon buff access, Daemon Forge, and RR 1's I've found they're viable. I've seen my army moving forward perpetually, and few options to quickly go back. A Defiler in the back, or pair, is seldom seen as a worry for many players but it helps deny a lot of space and makes people second guess a Deep Strike assault plan.

That said, I use them only when I have a Daemons detatchment. Flamers, 3x10 Brims and Fluxmaster/Changecaster to roll with my Disc-go-goats, and the other Herald hangs in the back with the Daemon Engines. It's been fairly successful.

At what level are you suggesting the two predators and the deffy? The 4+ to hit is just a hard pill to swallow. I’d probably be more likely to run a Dakka predators.

1500-2000, i suppose. The Defiler although BS4+ if run with an Exalted Sorcerer would benefit from reroll hits of 1 and the could threaten enemy deepstrike with his claws where as a tank is obviously garbage in the fight phase.

A 3 predator would do as well as you can use the killshot strategem.

According to the rules of the tournament, you can add numbers and wargear to your lists with each successive game, but you cannot take away numbers or wargear from any squads. As such, I either need to find points for the Brayhorn in my last list, or drop it entirely. Any suggestions?

Ive tentatively made a list that drops the rhino and adds a model to one of he rubric squads (for 11) and a SOT as they’ve always been solid performers for me and leaves room for the brayhorn.

Alternatively, I could just add Magnus to the 1500 to make the 2000 point list just to be cheeky!

Edited by Paladin777

Option 2, just because I love my Scarab Occult Terminators. Even if it’s a bit ridiculous, I never got to play a Sekhmet Conclave in 7th Edited by Paladin777

Ok, so I think this is the madness I’m going to go with!

Patrol-484

Ahriman on disc

5 SOT

Patrol-990

Ahriman on disc

Twin sword exalted

5 SOT

5 SOT

6 rubrics

Vanguard plus battalion 1495

Ahriman on disc

Twin sword exalted

Termie sorcerer

5 sot

5 sot

5 sot

7 rubrics

5 rubrics

Vanguard plus batallion1999

Ahriman on disc

Twin sword exalted

Termie sorcerer

5 sot

5 sot

10 sot

12 rubrics with SRC

12 rubrics with SRC

Since I haven’t build the fourth scarab occult sorcerer yet, should I have three squads of terminators? Or three squads of five and one squad of 10?

Edit: screw it, who DOESN’T want 10 scarab occult terminators hitting on 2’s, rerolling ones, with a +1 to hit...

Edited by Paladin777

Lost my first round to scatterbike Eldar. My termies dropped and killed half the bikes and a vyper, but after that he kept out of range and I was done. I almost killed his warlord (farseer on bike) with Ahriman but he was crazy lucky with his saves. I also had a completely tanked second turn psychic phase. Perils on my SOT champion, and rolled a total of 3 for all of Ahriman’s powers.

I played against scatter bikes my last game. I got my Tzaangors stuck in and used the attack twice strategem and beat them down pretty good.

In my escalation league last game i played against Imperial Guard and had a hard fought loss in points in Turn 6. I he came with 6 guard squads to company commanders and 4 Leman Russ battle tanks. 12 wounds at T8 and 3+ is a tough nut to crack.

Edited by Raven1

Lost my first round to scatterbike Eldar. My termies dropped and killed half the bikes and a vyper, but after that he kept out of range and I was done. I almost killed his warlord (farseer on bike) with Ahriman but he was crazy lucky with his saves. I also had a completely tanked second turn psychic phase. Perils on my SOT champion, and rolled a total of 3 for all of Ahriman’s powers.

Well, that is a weakness with a cool liste like yours; at low point games the lack of mobility and relatively shot range makes some matchups hard. Like mobile eldar with 36" scatter lasers.

If you increase the size of the battle, you will bring more characters and grab the DMC to "catch up"