Banner of the Emperor Ascendent

allegedlynerdy

Hello Brethren,

I'm going to talk a little bit about the Banner of the Emperor Ascendent relic, which I believe is top tier this edition, and I haven't seen much discussion about it.

First, the standard Astartes Banner. Basically it gives a +1 to morale, which means near a chaplain you'd be on leadership 10. It also allows an infantry model, when destroyed, to either shoot as if it was the shooting phase, or attack as if it was the fight phase, on a 4+.

The Banner of the Emperor Ascendent, makes units autopass morale, and gives nearby enemy units -1 leadership. It also makes it a 3+ roll to attack after dying.

I feel this fits perfectly into the aura effect deathblob of crusader squads, a chaplain, and the EC. I've tested it out a few times, and it has successfully killed a ghostkeel, a warlock, Jane Zarr, and an Imperial Knight, using this, to either get meltagun shots, or additional attacks out of my EC.

What is everyone else's opinion on the relic?

I agree 100% brother. I have advocated its use in the past. I never leave home without him. He has saved me from morale, allowed my crusaders to fight again, granting extra plasma or melta shots is amazing, even melee weapons etc.

For 75pts you’re essentially fielding several additional models for “free”.

Definitely top tier.

Most seem to enjoy cenobytes more from what I can tell.

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't agree more with this.

When you're grav cannons get to shoot (heavy 4) again when the squad falls you learn to love the silent contemplation on your opponents face as they realise what is about it happen. Grav cannons are a real squad killer this edition!

I feel like the chapter ancient is a good buy for how much he is over the company one. You only pay 9 points for his 2+ save which is really helpful if you are going to give him the relic banner

I feel like the chapter ancient is a good buy for how much he is over the company one. You only pay 9 points for his 2+ save which is really helpful if you are going to give him the relic banner

Maybe I'm wrong but I think the costs are:

Chapter Ancient 76p (4W 3A LD9 Sv2+)

Company Ancient 63p (4W 3A LD8 Sv3+)

Primaris Ancient 69p (5W 4A LD8 Sv3+)

So Chapter Ancient is 13p more expensive than Company Ancient, so it is one body less for the +1Sv, in a model that should be hidden behind other brothers and it will be only targeted when no more objetives or using snipers or orbital attacks.

Maybe the Primaris Ancient is a good option also, 6p and gaining 1W and 1A and a bigger bubble (40mm base against 25-32mm)

The banner only allows MODELS within 6” to fight or shoot again. And The squad within 6” gets +1 LD/Autopass Morale. And that is why I personally don’t use it instead use Rites of War + Cenos

Maybe I'm wrong but I think the costs are:

Chapter Ancient 76p (4W 3A LD9 Sv2+)

Company Ancient 63p (4W 3A LD8 Sv3+)

Primaris Ancient 69p (5W 4A LD8 Sv3+)

So Chapter Ancient is 13p more expensive than Company Ancient, so it is one body less for the +1Sv, in a model that should be hidden behind other brothers and it will be only targeted when no more objetives or using snipers or orbital attacks.

Maybe the Primaris Ancient is a good option also, 6p and gaining 1W and 1A and a bigger bubble (40mm base against 25-32mm)

The chapter ancient has a power sword, so it's 9 points if they are equipped the same.

While it's true that he cant be targeted by ranged fire that better save may come in handy when they hit combat

Archived