Lore Question: Communication devices

Terimus

So I'm running a Heresy Era RPG for some friends based off the Deathwatch RPG rules. Just for the sake of accuracy, is there such a thing as hologram communication, similar to the handheld devices used in Star Wars? 

Is that a thing, or do they only have vox communication?

Don't think so. While holo projectors have appeared in 40k, they're always far bigger than the handheld units you see in Star Wars. The 40k stuff is more for large scale briefings and senior commander's HQs, that sort of thing. For person to person communication, afraid you're stuck with vox.

Yup, on the novels they only had that on the bridge. On one of the Iron hands Strike Cruisers, Veritas Ferrun, they said it takes a lot of energy to power up the thing. A Strike Cruiser is what Chapters use as flagships on 40k mind you.

Cheers

Edited by Michaelum

I recon that it's definitely possible, but probably pretty rare. We need to remember that more advanced technologies were more widely available during the the Crusade/Heresy than they are in 40k (at least until Cawl came along...).

I don't think it would be something your average Legionnaire would have access to. Think high ranking agents of the Sigilite, Mechanicum Magi etc. The Traitors can do a similar thing but it's warp based and usually requires a psyker/astropath to channel the projection.