Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Not so slow Death Guard

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

McElMcNinja

McElMcNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 363 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard
For various reasons I decided I was going to try an in your face army, this is a rough draft and just a starting point.

HQ
Chaos Lord, balesword, plasma p
2x Malignant Plaguecaster

Troops
7 PM, 2 blight launcher, plasma g, plague sword
10 PM, 7 bubotic axe, 2 flail, plague sword, plasma p
7 PM, 4 bubotic axe, 2 flail, plague sword, plasma p

2x rhino, 2 combo-bolter

Elite
Foul Blightspawn (warlord: suppurating plate, arch-contaminator)
Tallyman
Biologus Putrifier
2x 5 Blightlords, 3 combo-bolter, 3 bubotic axe, blight launcher, flail, balesword.

Fast attack
Foetid Bloat-drone, 2 plaguespitter

Heavy
Plagueburst crawler

1999 points and 7 CP

Edited by McElMcNinja, 21 March 2018 - 03:34 AM.

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,149 posts

The core of the army is definitely outside of my expertise. I really don't spend points on Rhino's with my DG, but I know it works.

Plague Crawler might get left behind though. I know when I move mine they suffer (without plague spitter options) or they get left behind.

I do use multi Blightlords a lot, ended up consolidating to one squad of 10 in my own games for really taking advantage of Psychic buffs, and/or Vets O' the Long War

Click to see....
gallery_2760_14273_30255.jpg
Instagram: @Prot40k

BlackTriton

BlackTriton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 584 posts
With so many plague marine...
Did you consider putting them all in one blob? Then marching up field with cloud of fly.
I feel this list gets a lot worst when the "command" rhino gets blowed up turn 1

McElMcNinja

McElMcNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 363 posts
I never thought of the buffing advantage, that makes a lot of sense.
With the rhinos I have a potential move 13-18" with advancing and another 3" when I disembark. They get their normal move then of 5". So that's anywhere between 21-26", which should be well within range to do the blight bombs and charge easily. Advancing them would only get me at the most 11" and another 5" moving the next turn. That's a 5-10" disadvantage.
If I can get miasma on 1 rhino and pop smoke, at least 1 is -2 to hit and the other -1. The plague drone (or a hellbrute) moving up as a distraction and the crawler being a large threat itself with the lord next to it. That may be enough to keep the rhinos safe.
And a nice 10 man Blightlord squad now, dropping that anywhere should make them think twice on shooting at some little ol rhinos with just Plague Marines with cc weapons. 🤢

BlackTriton

BlackTriton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 584 posts
Interesting.
I think in ITC term, it would be hard to hold objectives.
Depending on what missions you play, it could perform well.

On a competitive note, the list is similar to bezerker list. But pm are a lot less killy than bezerker, and those list are not high in the meta right now.

I would be very interested to see how it performs.

McElMcNinja

McElMcNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 363 posts
I was going for something less competitive and a bit more fun, with a bit of shock and awesomeness.
I'm going to try a similar list, but switch out the cc PM's for 15 Possessed. I'm getting tired of them just sitting on the proverbial shelf. Maybe bring Epidemius, does anyone know if the daemon codex allows me to deep strike Possessed?

BlackTriton

BlackTriton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 584 posts
Daemon codex "denizen of the warp" is limited to DAEMON faction keyword as of their FAQ
So no, I dont think so.

McElMcNinja

McElMcNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 363 posts
Possessed do have the daemon faction keyword, so good news there. Plus I've been wanting to play some plaguebearers and other daemons as support. Now to get the codex and figure out a detachment so I can use those stratagems.

*edit*
ERRATA
Page 83 – Possessed
Remove ‘Daemon’ from the Faction keywords line Add ‘Daemon’ to the keywords line.

I guess they were worried people might start using Possessed or something.

Edited by McElMcNinja, 24 March 2018 - 10:18 PM.

BlackTriton

BlackTriton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 584 posts
Be sure to check the FAQ, I cant link it since im at work but I think a lot of death guard keywords were shifted. They made it so you could not do that with most non-daemon codex units!

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,149 posts

Well I can tell you playing Possessed won't have anyone accusing you of powergaming. lol

I tried them for a few months with Renegades... still a very underperforming unit.

Click to see....
gallery_2760_14273_30255.jpg
Instagram: @Prot40k

McElMcNinja

McElMcNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 363 posts
I think I could walk into my local store with nothing but snotlings and still win. Not really, but you know what I mean. So I don't mind making the most obscure list and just go have fun with it. By no means do I think they are competitive right now, but I still enjoy playing with them.

McElMcNinja

McElMcNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 363 posts
What are your thoughts on putting 10 Poxwalkers into a rhino, rush then forward joined by a cc PM squad in another and the 3 elites from above. If the Poxwalkers can get in charge range, play their stratagem, throw grenades with the PM's and a flame with a couple drones. Then charge/attack with PM's, the Poxwalkers could grow a lot before they attack and even grow closer to the enemy for a shorter charge.
Even teleport Typhus, try to charge with him too, all the while he's giving his buff.

Edited by McElMcNinja, 24 March 2018 - 04:21 AM.

McElMcNinja

McElMcNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 363 posts
Most fun game today, with a watered down version of my list above. 7 cc PM's, Blightspawn, Tallyman, and Putrifier all jump out of a rhino next to a knight, with a choas lord near. He laughed and said they wouldn't be able to kill his knight. So after casting Putrescent Vitality on them and playing Blight Bombardment. I got off 27 S5 grenades, wounded with 25 and got 14 mortal wounds, he then failed 7 of his 25 saving throws. He shrugged and started to add those 7 wounds until I stopped him and said that's 14 more wounds. He called the store manager over and asked if I had played my combo correctly. He then spent a command point to re-roll his explosion and made it. So his knight took out 3 of my PM's, I think they more then made up for their points.

Edited by McElMcNinja, 24 March 2018 - 07:55 PM.

McElMcNinja

McElMcNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 363 posts
Changed the list for a smaller game.

HQ
Typhus
Chaos Lord, balesword, plasma p
Malignant Plaguecaster

Troops
10 Poxwalkers (rhino)
7 PM, 2 blight launcher, plasma g, plague sword
7 PM, 4 bubotic axe, 2 flail, plasma p. (rhino +3 elites)

Elite
Foul Blightspawn (warlord: suppurating plate, arch-contaminator)
Tallyman
Biologus Putrifier
5 Blightlords, 3 combo-bolter, 3 bubotic axe, blight launcher, flail, balesword.

Fast attack
Blight Hauler

1499 points and 7 CP

BlackTriton

BlackTriton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 584 posts
Interesting I like the idea.
Ilike the image of the guy taking is knight of the table from a plague marine squad! Lol
But how did you get S5 grenade?

McElMcNinja

McElMcNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 363 posts
Putrifier adds +1S/+1Dmg and on rolls of 6+ also cause mortal wounds. Then Putrescent Vitality adds +1 to wound rolls, making it a 5+ for the mortal wounds. I could have played VotLW to get that to 3+ to wound and 4+ for the extra mortal wounds, but I was saving that for cc. He just wasn't around for me to use it.

And in my head I could just picture my PM's with an armful of grenades throwing them just as fast as they could, pulling the pin with their teeth. It was rather comical watching his reactions.

Edited by McElMcNinja, 25 March 2018 - 01:59 AM.

McElMcNinja

McElMcNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 363 posts
I also dumped my 10 Poxwalkers off 7" from his front line, played thier stratagem and moved them within 3". Shot up 18 guardsmen with my plague marines and Terminators. Had 28 of them to charge his Russ and surrounded it taking that 1 out of the game. Killed Sly with the Blightspawn (doing 12 un-saved damage @S10).
He had a Russ who had taken 8 mortal wounds from firing Plasma super charged at my -2 to hit rhino left and a squad of 10 guardsmen I didn't engage.

The single Blight Hauler gave good cover to the walking marines first turn, but then took off to shoot at 1 of the Russ's, which caused the distraction/diversion I was hoping for. I'm not sure if I will replace the Hauler for a Drone, more wounds and can help the Poxwalkers grow.

I have too also say, there were 7 other people in the store and they all laughed that I put 10 Poxwalkers in a Rhino. They called it my zombie clown car, but I got to laugh last. Ha-HA!

Edited by McElMcNinja, 25 March 2018 - 02:24 AM.

BlackTriton

BlackTriton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 584 posts

Putrifier adds +1S/+1Dmg and on rolls of 6+ also cause mortal wounds. Then Putrescent Vitality adds +1 to wound rolls, making it a 5+ for the mortal wounds. I could have played VotLW to get that to 3+ to wound and 4+ for the extra mortal wounds, but I was saving that for cc. He just wasn't around for me to use it.

And in my head I could just picture my PM's with an armful of grenades throwing them just as fast as they could, pulling the pin with their teeth. It was rather comical watching his reactions.

Double check your codex:

Putrescent vitality give a unit +1S and +1T. it does not affect blight grenade.

Blade of putrefaction does give you +1 to wound, but only in the fight phase. i does not apply to blight grenade either.

using both a Biologus and VotLW, your grenades are S4, +1 to wound, MW on 5+ and 2 damage. its the best case scenario.

Edited by BlackTriton, 26 March 2018 - 12:10 AM.

McElMcNinja

McElMcNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 363 posts
You are correct, I had those backwards. I had played VotLW during the shooting phase and had cast blades on them, which I never got to see the effects of. But had I used VotLW in the assault phase with Blades and their Bubotic Axes (+1S/-2AP/1Dmg). I have 4 axes in the unit (8 attacks), hitting on 3+ (w/Tallyman re-rolls), wounding T9 targets on a 3+ (w/Arch-contaminator re-rolls), and causing mortal wounds on 5+. The 2 flails are even better and then the Champion with only his dagger to attack with.

And Biologus adds +1 to strength and wound characteristics of blight grenades.

Edited by McElMcNinja, 26 March 2018 - 08:30 PM.

BlackTriton

BlackTriton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 584 posts
Wait,
Hitting a T9 unit on 3+ with axes i agree.
Mortal wound on 5+ only though. Blade of putrefaction "procs" on a roll of 7+. Unlike the biologus effect going off on 6+.

Also, what kind of mission do you guys play? I always assume ITC bit different kind of games encourage very different build.

McElMcNinja

McElMcNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 363 posts
When I play at my local store or wherever, we usually don't play missions. I've only been to 1 tournament, so I'm still getting use to those.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users