Gederas' Forge - Resurrection! 40k World Eaters & 30k Ultramarines (Pg 35)

Gederas

Hi all, long-time lurker (to the extent that I legitimately forgot I had an account here and had to get Kurgan the Lurker's help recovering it [thanks man!]) and I thought that, since I'm a responsibleish adult, I felt that I should make a WIP log of my, already sizable collections.

Now, my one, true love for factions is the World Eaters/Khorne Daemonkin. Even though it's the smallest of my factions right now, as I managed to luck out with some friends not wanting the Death Guard halves of Dark Imperium, so I got those on the cheap. And the Dark Angels were literally given to me by a friend who said, and I quote "Yeah, they're yours. I don't have the time to play 40k, or the space to store these". So I was just casually given at least 2k points of Dark Angels.

So, welcome to my WIP thread.

Some pretty pictures:

Maulerfiend
F7CaN4C.jpg
67ieGkk.jpg
nI8IZ4K.jpg
VOF81o8.jpg

I'm most happy about how the eyes and legion badge came out
4A0BTM4.jpg
ctoTgTB.jpg

Skarbrand
L0pYRuR.jpg
X7X22KU.jpg
qMs8Ptx.jpg

Everyone's favorite madman: Khârn the Betrayer
30XyzT8.jpg
hDVVEf0.jpg
hqec5Rd.jpg
QdvsH6w.jpg

Some Daemons and a Spawn
WD1G0Ab.jpg

Mortarion
SzWOcE8.jpg

More to come!

Edited by Gederas

Liking the colour of the metal on the Mauler, as you said yourself, the eyes and legion badeg came out really well.

One critique would be that many of the photos are a little blurry, making it difficult to get a good look at your work.

Thank you both.

Liking the colour of the metal on the Mauler, as you said yourself, the eyes and legion badeg came out really well.

One critique would be that many of the photos are a little blurry, making it difficult to get a good look at your work.

Yeah... I need to refine my picture-taking process on my phone (only method of picture-taking right now). What's worse is they look fine when I save them. Don't know why they suddenly get blurry when I load them to imgur.

If you have a fancy phone, it's possible there's some sort of enhancement feature going on, maybe? You could try resting the phone on a little box or something while you take the picture so it stays as stable as possible and doesn't shake at the moment you tap the shutter button.

Like Juggernaut says, resting your phone on something or bracing your arms might help.  I use my phone as well, what I do is take the pictures from a little further away and then crop them down on my computer (plus, I have to crop them anyway since I upload my pics to the B&C gallery).  I have noticed that my phone starts having trouble focusing and ends up taking blurry pictures if I am even slightly too close to the model.

You have some really great work here!  I especially like the maulerfiend, the paint job is really crisp and clean!

Welp, a late-night update (because I forgot to upload these images before), with some of the WIPs, as well as the completed Plague Surgeon.

A Warlord for some Renegades and Heretics:

GSVvZGy.jpg

This guy was made on a whim, as one of my friends gave me a busted-up Genestealer Primus. Said model got broken, ironically, when I was helping said friend load his Genestealer Cult into his car (he butter-fingers'd the box containing the models. Everything BUT that Primus got away unscathed, go figure)

Typhus repose (and a poor Scout):

fvEToNd.jpg

ktY2NLA.jpg

N5s1tnO.jpg

In those pictures, you can see that there's a spine and intestines dangling from the Scout's torso. Normally my World Eaters would have the gory trophies... But I felt Typhus' repose wouldn't have looked as good with just a raised fist. Ignore the poster tac, that's just there until I get spare open right hand from the Terminator Librarian.

And some WIPs of my to-be-named Warpsmith

DN7apFV.jpg

P8PGp5R.jpg

DuK5qsH.jpg

He's also really, really tall, a full head-and-shoulders taller than Terminators, and utterly towering over regular Chaos Marines, as can be seen here.

LtYz0wY.jpg

I did another size comparison after this one, but forgot to take a picture, but he's taller than the Gravis Captain. Dude is huge.

Also yes, the idea for the Cataphractii Legs and Kataphron torso is shameless stolen from Marius Perdo's Iron Father. Because I always had in my mind how this Warpsmith would look, and "very big" (inspired by Krautscientist's Deracin) was one of the aspects. Marius' conversion basically hit the nail on the head for how I imagined the massive, implacable look for the Warpsmith.

Also, the Kataphron kit is chock-full of useful bits. I'm happy I picked it up :lol:

And the finished Plague Surgeon:

d50tZGg.jpg

HUONJIi.jpg

iP8xaoo.jpg

As always, comments and critiques are welcome.

... And yes, I really need to get a better photo-taking setup. I know this :lol:

Edited by Gederas

Renegade commander looks good, as does Typhus, nice way to improve the model by giving reason to the daft pose, as opposed to just reposing.

The new photos are looking miles better too!

Renegade commander looks good, as does Typhus, nice way to improve the model by giving reason to the daft pose, as opposed to just reposing.

The new photos are looking miles better too!

Yeah, a lot of my reposes are relatively simple.

@Re: Renegade Commander, thanks. I'm surprised the Raptor arms fit the Genestealer Primus that well :lol:

And the bad thing is this: Some of those "new" photos are older than the ones in the original post. So I'm thinking Juggernaut and robofish were right, in that I needed to brace my arms on something.

And now onto the newest member of the World Renders of Khorne, who is.... 80% done? As I still need to do some more greenstuff work for the upper part of his coat.... though I may just leave it as-is, since the most notable parts of his coat would be the lower areas.

Zephon, Chooser of the Slain and Keeper of the Seed, Primus Medicae of the World Eaters’ Thirty-Second Company.

Also known as counts-as Fabius Bile.

DFGJnrT.jpg

IrZYVLs.jpg

cLwW26m.jpg

tGYHRso.jpg

Now, you may notice he's without a head in these pictures. Long story short, I'm having issues with choosing a head for him. I want to keep a bare head, but I've been struggling with choosing one. I've narrowed it down to one of these five heads. The fifth will obviously be lacking the topknot. (for some reason, the camera refused to focus on the heads, I blame the torso having such detailed bits, which is where the camera wanted to focus).

VlfqIwN.jpg?1

Opinions?

Edited by Gederas

And the two most recently finished models:

Mephithess, Bloody Daughter of Khorne (Bloodmistress):

7JgzZKW.jpg

p9LLyFa.jpg

Rpb9U5y.jpg

wUOHryS.jpg

ZlI5COE.jpg

Still happy that I got this brass recipe down. It looks good even on much smaller models than Skarbrand or a Maulerfiend.

Lord Mogrim, Commander of the Renegades known as the Breakers of Xacrerth (still needing a base, but I need to decide how I'm doing my Renegades and Heretics in terms of basing):

LLVZV2v.jpg

coeFau9.jpg

dOJgPDG.jpg

Kh1CTxj.jpg

FVXurNJ.jpg

I'm especially happy how his face came out.

And now the responses:

Wow, that greenstuff work is well done, especially the stitching. My vote goes for head number one.

I've shown all five to some friends, and it seems that every response I've gotten was to the Terminator Lord head. Looks like Zephon will be getting that head it seems.

There are some lovely conversions here.

I kind of want to see one of those yellow "wet floor" signs on Khârn's base.

Thanks! Though they don't seem to cause much bites yet. :/

And I'm planning on rebasing Khârn, but that image makes me :lol:

Edited by Gederas

Some great work in here. I especially like the Warpsmith and Fabius conversions. :tu:

Thanks! That's one of my World eaters idols posted in my thread, and complimenting my work. Now I wonder when/if the other two will notice? :lol:

And since I don't want to make a post without a WIP update, let me tell you all a story.

So, when reading through my Codex: Chaos Space Marines, I saw that the Chaos Lord can take two pistols. I remembered seeing the Moritat models for 30k, and thought "wouldn't it be cool to make a World Eater one for 40k?". And as such, ideas quickly began percolating in my head. It took me a while, but I did find a model to use as a basis for this conversion. But there was a caveat: It only had one Plasma Pistol, thankfully it was a left-handed one. So I searched for right-handed Plasma Pistols.

I found one, from the new Khârn. So that extra bit from Khârn that wasn't needed for my Skullgrinder conversion (still to be made because my Skullgrinder has yet to come in) was donated.

Now, the model the Moritat-Lord was based on is, ironically enough, Khârn's 30k self. Due to this, I had to cut off the right arm that would hold Gorechild or the power cleaver(?) that Khârn comes with in order to fit the right-handed plasma pistol. So with very nervous hands, I proceeded to take my hobby saw to a very expensive model. I managed to not ruin the model, AND salvage the right arm for future conversions. So all things considered, it went well.

So I used pieces from both Khârn models, to make someone who ISN'T Khârn.

Okay, story-time over. Here's my Moritat World Eater Lord, currently unnamed:

O5Iagot.jpg

1oEoG80.jpg

FwhHi3Z.jpg

lJSXzA6.jpg

I'm planning on magnetizing his head so that I can swap between that head and a Skullcrusher head with the bunny ears clipped off, as sadly, it doesn't fit the very small area on 30k Khârn's neck.... Or I'll shave the neck-covering down to allow it to fit. One or the other :lol:

That new Lord conversion is looking really cool, the twin plasma pistols is a cool idea. I really like the look of your Fabius Bile conversion too, personally I think head option 1 or 3 would be the best asthetically.

Especially because a regular Chaos Lord with two Plasma Pistols is exactly 88 points. Khorne is pleased :lol: Plus, in small games (sub 1000) a lord with two Plasma Pistols is actually a pretty decent choice, actually.

I would go for head option number 1. Though if you´re doing some fiddly GS work, you need to add "plugin" port on right side of his scalp and that famous rag hair.

It's not supposed to be Fabius, but thanks for the opinion on the head. Looks like I'm going with that one :lol:

The Lelith conversion is well done.

Thanks! She was a fiddly thing to make, especially since when I was painting her sword, she fell and broke her hand at the wrist, and of course that place was too small to pin. Joys.

Hopefully I'll have more finished models next time I post, as the second half of the first 20-daemon squad of Bloodletters' glaze is drying. Then it's just finishing the swords, tongues, teeth and eyes. Which is a bit easier than the skin. :lol:

Wow, you have some sweet conversions in here! Very interesting work changing up that GSC primus, but I really like what you’ve done with the Typhus repose. Awesome job there, really looking forward to seeing that bad boy painted up

If you’re still debating on heads for the Bile conversion, I’ll throw in my vote for either the 1st or the 4th. While the 4th doesn’t scream Bile, personally I feel it fits best with the rib cage torso

Wow, you have some sweet conversions in here! Very interesting work changing up that GSC primus, but I really like what you’ve done with the Typhus repose. Awesome job there, really looking forward to seeing that bad boy painted up

If you’re still debating on heads for the Bile conversion, I’ll throw in my vote for either the 1st or the 4th. While the 4th doesn’t scream Bile, personally I feel it fits best with the rib cage torso

Thanks! I was really happy that the Raptor arms fit on the GSC Primus without any issues.

And in regards to the Bile conversion, you know, your idea actually makes a lot of sense, now that I look at it. I'll need to get some more primer, but, I think I will use that head, or one of the Reiver heads. Plus, it adds to the Grim Reaper aesthetic I feel traitor apothecaries should have.

In other news, guess what I was finally able to pick up?

4WuBlep.jpg

Fantastic looking Moritat! Really liking the Maulerfiend from the first post as well! 

Thanks! The Moritat should be painted soon-ish, depending on when I get more primer.

Also, a short bat-rep for my Khorne Daemons.

I did my first game of pure Khorne Daemons today against my friend's Blood Angels with Guilliman. Because he left his Repulsor at our other friend's house.

My list was as such:

Battalion:

- Skarbrand - Warlord

- Bloodmaster

- Daemon Prince (Wings, Talons)

- 20 Bloodletters (Icon, Instrument)

- 6 Bloodcrushers (Icon, Instrument)

- Skull Cannon

- Skull Cannon

Turn 1 I used Denizens of the Warp on Skarbrand and one of the Bloodletter squads. I ended up losing because I used Denizens of the Warp on Skarbrand and one of the Bloodletter bombs.... And then Skarbrand and the Bloodletters failed their re-rolled charges, and Skarbrand was shot off the board by Hellblasters the next turn.

The good news was I managed to kill his Primaris Captain (his Warlord), two squads of Intercessors and his Primaris chaplain. Then 13 Bloodletters (the squad that failed the charge) manage to bring Guilliman down to 1 wound.... And then on the next turn, Guilliman wiped them on his next fight phase. -sigh-

This was turn 2:

WdtZnHm.jpg

This was turn 4:

uwlsM3U.jpg

I need to think more tactically :lol:

In other news, my Soul Grinder is fully assembled for painting. I left the armour plates off to paint them seperately, then attach after everything is all painted.

d9B1xtL.jpg