New player, that wants to join the Hive Mind! Help?

Kimbo

Hi everyone! As the title says, im a new Tyranid player. Or more correct, i want to become a nid player!

So...I have some questions i would love some experienced notes for!...

- As a new player. Is There a preferded "starting army build/Tactics" that you would suggest for a new player? All meele, range, mix of both?

- If you had to start again to buy from scratch, how would your first 1k look like? Preferably something which can be used as a good base for later expanding to 2k. (I like lists with a competitive touch, but it does not have to be full on retarded op)

-any good tip on paint schemes that are REALLY easy but stil decent looking...a forgiving way of painting for a player with little skill and time..I would love pictures of your army och the scheme you recommend..I intend to only use Citadel paint aswell..

That was alot of info...all answeres are greatly appriciated

Hey, welcome to the Hive.

I'd suggest a bit of a mix for a starting build. There are lots of good options in the codex, but all melee is a bit tricky to run, and all shooting might work, but you'd need to screen effectively and you'd probably be better off playing guard or tau. That said once you expand you'll definitely want to focus on some aspect, be it big monsters, a huge swarm, fast moving units or whatever.

Most units are viable, but, at least for 1000 points, you'll probably want to stay away from some of the bigger, more expensive monsters. Genestealers are great, Flying Hive Tyrants are great, carnifexes are nice, Hive guard are evidently awesome (though I don't own any so don't comment from experience). Ripper Swarms and Termagants are nice and cheap for your screening and objective grabbing needs. Any of those units will be good in 1000 points and should slot into pretty much any list you make.

For schemes, mine is pretty simple really, and I think it looks pretty cool. (I've recently posted pics of my army in this forum). I've used many different paints of the years for it, but the key to the scheme is the 'lots of little random lines' method for the edge of the carapace. Working from light to dark, just paint lots of short lines from the edge of the carapace, overlapping each other is ok, leaving gaps is ok, it just gives the impression of texture that isn't there.

Greetings, and welcome to the Hive Mind! While I'm far from the most experienced, we can work together to start pointing in the 'right' directions. (There is no right or wrong, personal preference is key :D)

- As a new player. Is There a preferded "starting army build/Tactics" that you would suggest for a new player? All meele, range, mix of both?

This is down to personal preference, but I would normally suggest a mix of both and then add more of whichever parts you enjoy using/painting the most. We have the luxury of being able to do pretty much anything with the current unit selections.

Massive hordes - gaunts galore! Hormagaunts for stabby, Termagants/ Devilgants (armed with Devourer weapons) for shooty, Gargoyles for flappy.

Big bugs - take Old One Eye as your HQ in a Spearhead detachment and load up on Carnifex, Tyrannofex and anything else that takes your fancy.

Mid-range - Tyranid Warriors, Zoanthropes, Raveners, Hive Guard all offer flexibility and good modelling options.

- If you had to start again to buy from scratch, how would your first 1k look like? Preferably something which can be used as a good base for later expanding to 2k. (I like lists with a competitive touch, but it does not have to be full on retarded op)

The Start Collecting boxes offer great value. If you can get the 2016 version it has a Tyrant, 3 Warriors and some Gargoyles. The 2017 version has a Trygon/Mawloc, Broodlord and 8 Genestealers. Both are a great starting point.

If you plan to play tournaments, I can highly recommend magnetising the arms of your Tyranids to swap weapon options in/out. If you're less hardcore about playing, some options are generally better than others but pretty much anything can be used well once you work out what they do.

-any good tip on paint schemes that are REALLY easy but stil decent looking...a forgiving way of painting for a player with little skill and time..I would love pictures of your army och the scheme you recommend..I intend to only use Citadel paint aswell..

Its never been easier to paint the Behemoth scheme (red, black/blue). For the skin: red spray base/undercoat, highlight/drybrush in choice of red, Carroburg Crimson wash. For the carapace (armour): Abaddon Black as a base, choice of blues to layer and maybe another blue edge highlight/drybrush, Drakenhof Nightshade wash. Then pick out the eyes, weapons and any other detail in whatever colours take your fancy.

You could even skip the highlights entirely (like I am) and just spray the red, red wash, black, blue wash and call it done.

My personal paint scheme is a little different, but just as easy. I'm basecoating the flesh in pink, the weapons and some details in orange, and the armour in silver, and then layering three different washes for effect. I think it looks decent, and for better painters than me it'd be super fast as well.

20171128 072608

Ultimately, you can paint them in any colours that you want, and they'll look pretty decent. Again, if you're a tournament player, you might want to paint a custom scheme so that you can use whichever Hive Fleet special rules you feel like. Most people wouldn't care if you painted them as Behemoth but played them as Leviathan or Kraken, but there's always "that guy" that wants to be difficult... and sometimes they're the Tournament Organiser :sad.:

That was alot of info...all answeres are greatly appriciated

I can't say I'm a font of collected wisdom, but I'm happy to help with further questions, and I'm sure the board will join in with more information and advice :biggrin.:

Thank you for all The answeres! Wow...alot to think about...however, as I've recently come out of a horde project...I like the sound of a big monster list...

How would a typical (atleast Semi-competitive) monster list look? Is it viable? Note that, I do not mind some screen unit(what should you use?)

Thanks again!

All tyrants flying around works a treat. As for paint nids are quite forgiving. I recommend:1 white or grey primer 2 a two color base coat one color for fleshy or soft bits and one for armor and claws 3 a dark wash to shade your recesses and pick out detail. Extra points for painting eyes for a quick foray into detail steps. No techniques to learn other than paint brush loading and neatness! The real secret to painting models is having a solid plan and neatness.

Put together a quick list, about 1000 points, that I think fits the monster thing. Just ideas obviously.

Hive Tyrant with Wings: 2 sets of Scything Talons; Toxin sacs; Adrenal glands

Neurothrope

3 Ripper Swarms

15 Termagants

15 Termagants

3 Hive Guard

2 Carnifexes: each with 2 sets of Scything Talons; adrenal glands; bone mace; Spore Cysts

2 Carnifexes: each with 2× 2 devourers with brainleech worms; Enhanced Senses; Spore Cysts

So you've got the Tyrant and the two stabby fexes who can run up the board, with the shooty fexes shielded by Termagants in the mid field, supported by the Malanthrope and the Hive guard ideally nearby and out of sight. Rippers pop in somewhere to hold and objective or get in the way.

If you want bigger monsters I think you could swap fexes for Mawlocs/Trygons, give or take enough Termagants. You might be blue to fit in another Tyrant instead of a fex and the Neurothrope. If you want to go Trygon you could probably swap the Hive guard for some Genestealers or Warriors to pop up with them, but I think if you do you'll probably want to squeeze in some heavy venom cannons (I'm running without the Hive guard at the moment and having no ranged firepower to hurt enemy tanks/monsters is very challenging)

What do you guys think? My first nid list...please come with feedback!

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Tyranids) ++

+ HQ +

Broodlord: Monstrous Rending Claws

Hive Tyrant: Adrenal Gland, Monstrous Rending Claws, Two Devourers with Brainleech Worms, Wings

+ Troops [38 PL, 524pts] +

. 20x Genestealer: 20x Rending Claws

. 20x Genestealer: 20x Rending Claws

Termagants: 11x Termagant (Fleshborer)

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Tyranids) ++

+ HQ +

Hive Tyrant: Adrenal Glands, Monstrous Rending Claws, Two Devourers with Brainleech Worms, Wings

+ Elites +

. 5x Hive Guard: Impaler Cannon

+ Heavy Support

2x Carnifex: Adrenal Glands, Enhanced Senses, Spore Cysts , 2x Two Devourers with Brainleech Worms

Exocrine

Tyrannofex: Rupture Cannon

Looks pretty solid to me. I'd consider trying to squeeze in some bonus Termagants and/or ripper Swarms though. You can probably dispense with the adrenal glands on the fexes, which will net you a couple more. You do have quite a lot of dakka, and for practical purposes I'd consider dropping the Hive guard unit down to 3 (that's how many are in a box) and put the rest on Termagants and rippers. I suspect you could also get away with dropping a Stealer here or there if when you get all your models you end up with 36 of them or whatever.

Thanks! Guys...what do you consider the real winners in term of competitive play in the nid codex? And if you can, please be specific with loadout if possible...I wont magnetice my units, im.about to buy a :cuss load of units and im not made of money..so i need to pick visely!

Flying dakka tyrants, ripper swarms, and spores just carried Adepticon.

All is subject to change with the March(?) FAQ though.

OH...so it will be here soon? Maybe hold off buying 2x tyrants in case they get unplayable

Probably wise.

I think the core of a 'conventional' competitive Tyranid list will be some combination of Hive guard, flyrants, dakka fexes, biovores and 'deep strike' devourer Termagants. Gaps filled with ripper Swarms and Neurothropes. Possibly some heavy firepower from Tyrannofexes and Exocrines. Genestealers and/or warriors for flavour. Swarmlord maybe? Malanthrope perhaps if there is a big blob of monsters. There are actually quite a lot of good options for once. Flying Hive Tyrants are grabbing headlines but we are by no means codex flyrants again.

Most competitive Tyranid armies seem to be a mix of Hive fleets. E.g. Hydra Battalion for the Genestealers and flyrants, Kronos spearhead for the gunbeasts. I think this is the main difference between a 'competitive' and a 'strong but friendly' Tyranid list.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're just starting out, don't worry about competitive. The nid codex has few 'weak' units, so as long as you don't pick only these you'll be fine.

On your list, you can probably combine the detachments to form a single larger one (Brigade?) for +9CP.

My son and I are starting his nid army, I play Death Guard. So I want to start him with core army and I was looking at the new starter set. It sounds like a good start and was thinking more genestealers and maybe a fex or 2. Or will he not use many stealers as his army grows?

My son and I are starting his nid army, I play Death Guard. So I want to start him with core army and I was looking at the new starter set. It sounds like a good start and was thinking more genestealers and maybe a fex or 2. Or will he not use many stealers as his army grows?

Nid armies swing both ways - stealers did not feature in many gimmicky high end tournament lists, but are still threatening and fun for most games. They're good units.

You can get the start collecting, codex and another box of the monsters you think look the best for about £100 from discount retailers. I'd start with that, then play some games, work out what the army is missing. 

A very solid choice is Hive Guard. They'll resolve some of the issues nids have with tanks at lower point levels. A carnifex is also a good option, and the Tyranid equivalent to a dreadnought. 

Archived