Deathwatch next up with Harlequins and Imperial Knights

Moostick

Disappointment or joy?

Either or! Honestly, I just want to know whether to count them out or not.

Mixed primaris is a good sign (and honestly, fairly fluffy with the greyshields and all). It really wouldn't take *that* much for it to be a halfway decent codex. 

More worried then I am excited. Our little community has had a lot of gripes and I fear they won't address what we consider the problem :/ I'll still be excited to get some sort of chapter tactics equivalent and some good stratagems.

They do say new content which gives me huge hopes on apothecaries, tech marines and Lieutenants. That mixed primaris unit is looking more like a real possibility! It'll be nice just to have something different but will be quite useless if they can't hitch a ride in the Blackstar.

Trying not to get overly excited but we need a codex so freakin badly.

If the Corvus still can't transport primaris in the new codex...

Curious how they will do this for deathwatch, it could easily be a worthless addition if your killteams cant use any transports with a primaris mixed unit. It could also become the absolute best way to use primaris marines, flying in transports and with special issue ammunition.

Curious to see how it goes, but considering the DW history I fear the worst.

Mixed Primaris squads could be interesting if they do the special rules like they do for adding VV or terminators.

Start with a basic intercessor squad with Power Sword sergeant:

+ inceptor = fallback and still shoot

+ aggressor = advance and fire w/o penalty

+ reiver = fear aura and a shock grenade

+ hellblaster = ....they get a hellblaster.

Could be interesting.

Happy it got announced finally.

It being with 2 other small releases...good or bad?

Disappointment or joy? THE TIME TO FIND OUT IS NIGH, BROTHERS!

I'm glad to see this got posted. I worried it would be glanced over. The past year or two have not been kind for Deathwatch on the table top.

As for dissapointment or joy... it's really weird when I think about it. Originally I was so happy to read that, and then I immediately caught myself.

I’m keeping positive. My hope is that it will fix a few lingering index issues and bring us up to speed.

• The “who all gets special ammo” issue (right now, several of our special characters don’t have that rule).

• We might get our own psychic powers.

• we might get “watch lieutenants” or their DW equivalent.

• we might get access to more regular marine units like BA and DA did.

• more strategums, war gear, and warlord traits.

Mixed Primaris squads could be interesting if they do the special rules like they do for adding VV or terminators.

Start with a basic intercessor squad with Power Sword sergeant:

+ inceptor = fallback and still shoot

+ aggressor = advance and fire w/o penalty

+ reiver = fear aura and a shock grenade

+ hellblaster = ....they get a hellblaster.

Could be interesting.

See now I'm picturing 5 intercessors, 4 hellblasters and an inceptor (assault bolters). Meat shields for the hellblasters with fall back and shoot if you get charged. I'd even be happy with intercessors and reivers mixed in with their -1 ld and shock grenades before charging. It would seriously give your basic intercessors an edge in close combat.

I personally hope that the kill teams can be mixed because I would rather stick a vanguard in there then pay for a pricey inceptor, but I could see myself trying it at least once :)

As for dissapointment or joy... it's really weird when I think about it. Originally I was so happy to read that, and then I immediately caught myself.

Bro..... exactly. The feels.

Good deal.  Until there are some reveals I won't have much else to say about it, and honestly we have a pretty solid wishlist throughout this forum as-is.  I do expect IK first, though (which is fine since I play AdMech too :D)

Extra rules aside, there's finally a reason to pick up flamer Aggressors! If you can combine Primaris with regular vets, plop one in a squad of Stalker vets and never get charged!

One thing to note -- what's gonna happen with Stalker rifles? The vet version is Heavy 2, but the Primaris one is Heavy 1.

When I've read that Deathwatch codex was coming soon I got excited, and then the first thing I read was about Chad Marines... Suddenly all my excitement just went away.

I have doubts if I'll even want to buy this codex, to be honest... If BA, DA, and regular SM codices were anything to go buy I expect plenty fluff to be "Deathwatch was getting its ass kicked and then fu****g primaris marines came and saved the day! Buy primaris marines!" 

Edited by TheUbikator

When I've read that Deathwatch codex was coming soon I got excited, and then the first thing I read was about Chad Marines... Suddenly all my excitement just went away.

I have doubts if I'll even want to buy this codex, to be honest... If BA, DA, and regular SM codices were anything to go buy I expect plenty fluff to be "Deathwatch was getting its ass kicked and then fu****g primaris marines came and saved the day! Buy primaris marines!" 

Exactly my feelings now. I do not know, but if the story goes so that Deathwatch has taught its tactics to Primaris, who can now form mixed Kill-Teams and that's all we get then ...I'm not sure if I can hide my disappointment and leave my army unmodified fof something else like Raven Guard :unsure.: 

Exactly my feelings now. I do not know, but if the story goes so that Deathwatch has taught its tactics to Primaris, who can now form mixed Kill-Teams and that's all we get then ...I'm not sure if I can hide my disappointment and leave my army unmodified fof something else like Raven Guard :unsure.:

I feel your pain brother. We've got the line of (relatively) new beautiful models, and all we get is playing the second fiddle to newest kids on the block. Imperial Guard codex announcement and codex itself made me excited and wanting to buy new stuff and kitbash my new regiment or two. With Deathwatch is almost exactly opposite.  

I'm happy that we're finally announced, though we might have to wait a bit. We still need to do Dark Eldar, which will be most likely start of April. Then Knights will be likely next, with two new kits. BUT Knights might be actually last to milk sales on Forgebane, before they decide to do the solo release of the Armiger.

And then we have the Harlequins, straight right after the Dark Eldar? or have an imperium release inbetween the Eldar releases? Either it's going to be mid/late April or somewhere May.

What's left then? Space wolves, Genecult, Ynnari and Orks. With Sisters not coming till 2019, and who knows maybe  Emperors children release somewhere before them? And then at some point we get codex Primaris Marines, with new Primaris goodies.

Anyway, I'm happy we're getting a codex. It means can properly build a list and surgically cut away the collected space marine fat out of my collection, it was supposed to be an elite small force, how did I end up with 150+ marines with tons of vehicles!!!! (I blame the damn primaris)

Edited by Polak

What concerns me is deathwatch is a full army codex.

2 codex are comming out at the same time being harlequins, a mini xenos army which needs heavy dark eldar or eldar support to run to potential as it was designed as a bridge army and knights, the codex of war machines normally allied in but they are getting a new kit and video show case, plus the new mini knight.

Looking at what little information we have to go off it's likely this codex is more of a update, we are getting no new models bar past primaris being hard wrotenunto out codex for more sales.

At this point I'm just hoping they try and fix issues we have with the codex like ammo, the difficulty of transporting units, the high points cost and not just end up increasing watch master point costs and giving us some mixed primaris rules.

I was hyped when I saw the reveal yesterday morning. Deathwatch has always been a tough army to play but in 8th edition it got even harder due to the meta being kind to horde armies, tough on elite armies and some of the recent codex releases have set us back even further.

I'm cautiously optimistic that some of our issues will be ironed out and we'll get access to some new units. Mixed primaris sounds promising and will hopefully open up some good options for us. I'm hoping the transport problems are gone, access to SIA is addressed, points on certain options reviewed (i.e. Infernus HB, DW shotgun), the Infernus HB is once again assault which will make it viable and some general point drops.

It will also be nice to have our rules in one place instead of having to look through 3 or more different books!

I think for me the big worry is that Deathwatch will be treated similar to GK and AC, in that while they have a codex they're basically just a mini-dex for more imperial allies without being able to build a real functioning full Deathwatch army. Hopefully the inclusion of Primaris marines and maybe some of the other small flyers and my personal hope Predators will allow them to compete better. That and some point cost adjustments. Would be nice to take them off the shelf

I'd be happy to see a -1 BS fourtress tactic. It wouldn't make much sense fluff-wise, but game-wise very much.

The codex will stand or fall with following points:

- will kill teams be a benefit or a hazard

- will there be a need to soup

- what will we be without primaris

My hopes are high, still I got a bad gut feeling about this.