New Knight Castellan Revealed!

Vash113

Hey Hermanista , don't be down I too would be building a knight warden,  if it wasn't for you, I may have even bought more than one Forgebane box

rather than waiting for the other news about the variants, finding myself in an unenviable position of having only 1 loadout.

Right now I'm going to get my two Armiger up and running to a nice standard and wait for this bad boy to be my centrepiece, I wonder how many more points this is going to be

right now its got to be more expensive than a fully kitted Warden , So 600 ??  

Well as of right now a fully decked out crusader is 598 points, so I'm guessing this one is more like 800 points. Hopefully they lower all the knight's points though.

Hey Hermanista , don't be down I too would be building a knight warden,  if it wasn't for you, I may have even bought more than one Forgebane box

rather than waiting for the other news about the variants, finding myself in an unenviable position of having only 1 loadout.

Right now I'm going to get my two Armiger up and running to a nice standard and wait for this bad boy to be my centrepiece, I wonder how many more points this is going to be

right now its got to be more expensive than a fully kitted Warden , So 600 ??  

Oh I'm not down, don't worry, it was a joke where I've realised I left off the smiley faces, lol.

I am a happy man, my favourite army is on the cusp of an update, the models are gorgeous, just got to wait for the other variants to appear, and also wait to see what FW additions to the new ones we get - Maybe an explanation for the delay to fires of Cyraxis?

The Castellan with mechanicus armour similar to ther styrix/maegera would look even cooler I think, though I have no idea what weapons they would add to it...

I took some screenshots for my own amusement but I called the knight a "Dominus Class". Is Castellan the name of this model within the Dominus Class? So this would mean 2-3 variants of Dominus, one being the Castellan.

I took some screenshots for my own amusement but I called the knight a "Dominus Class". Is Castellan the name of this model within the Dominus Class? So this would mean 2-3 variants of Dominus, one being the Castellan.

Well that mysterious Valiant has got to have some sort of classification I guess

It's not the normal kit. The leg plates are longer and the legs are posted in a way the Paladin kit can't be. I think it's a very similar design but scaled up and changed some.

This totally has me questioning my colour scheme for the Armigers. There's an opportunity here to break into a large Knight collection that -might- be totally playable in 40K.

Makes me glad I went ahead and repainted my knights in their own house scheme instead of a copy of my AdMech!

I like it.  It's sort of like a mini-Warlord Titan but doesn't deviate too much from the standard IK template.  With the inclusion of Armigers in the IK 'dex and the breadth of guns available, I feel like the only adjustment needed to return IK to legitimacy is a points adjustment, though I doubt we'll see much in the codex since CA cost changes were comparably recent.

In either case, I'll admit a bit of disappointment that GW isn't pushing any alternative weaponry for the Armigers with the IK release, as a full plastic kit for them could easily include a power fist/cannon/chaingun type weapon option.  But hey, we can't have it all, right?  :P

In Valrak's video about this announcement, he mentioned that his source had hinted at this larger Knight along with 3 more variants for the Armiger, and since the larger Knight materialized it's given good weight to the other information.

Elsewhere I've been seeing a lot of speculation about the weapons so I figured I might as well share my thoughts and see what you guys think.

The carapace missiles are IMO clearly some kind of single-use weapon, possibly some multi-D6 anti-infantry weapon but I think more probably some form of upgraded Hunter-Killer. I'd assume str 8-10, Ap 2-4 and damage D6, maybe some kind of mortal wound on a 6 or something.

The shoulder guns are somewhat new for Imperial weapons, the bore is much too big to be an autocannon but not big enough to be a full on battle cannon, closest I can think of is the light battle-cannon on the Taurox. If that's the case and it's anything like that I'd expect these to be twin light-battle cannons firing 2D6, str 7 -1 Ap and D3 damage shots, and with two of them that could be as much as 4D6 though they do look a little smaller than the Taurox weapon so we might see fewer shots or a lower strength or both.

The twin weapons on either side of the head are clearly Meltaguns almost identical to the one in the Warden kit, so two twin-meltaguns, that's some nice armor piercing firepower there but short range so this guy will need to get close or save them for attacking Dreadnoughts or something.

On the left arm the weapon has some components that suggest an energy weapon maybe but the barrel and muzzle suggest an ordnance weapon of some kind. The closest thing in appearance I can find is the Volcano Cannon on the Shadowsword. Obviously this is smaller so I very much doubt it will be the str 16 monster that the Shadowsword's weapon is, I suspect a profile more similar to the Magna Lascannon is likely in order. Either way I think this is clearly a more serious armor busting laser weapon.

Which just leaves the right arm weapon, the plasma. Sharing similarities with mechanicus plasma weapons but on a larger scale it's still clearly not as big as a Plasma Obliterator, but it's getting up there. I'm expecting a damage profile similar to that of other plasma weapons, str 7 and 1 damage, moving to str 8 and 2 damage if overcharged with 2D6 shots or so. A nice Primaris, Terminator, Bike and monster killer.

Now for size that's up in the air but I'm not expecting something too much bigger than a normal Knight, so I'm thinking maybe 2-4 more wounds, if any. The extra generator on the back might suggest a boosted Ion Shield which would be nice but I'm expecting it will stay the same. For points if we take a Crusader as a nice comparison clocking in at around 600 points we've got another Carapace Weapon, two hunter-killers and three meltaguns to add to that cost. Nearly 40 points just for the Meltaguns, another 10-20 for the missiles and 30-50 points for the shoulder gun, easily 90-110 points more just for the weapons. Thus I'm expecting this Knight to come in somewhere points wise in the 700-800 range given that the base Chassis will probably cost a little more, unless we see a general points reduction in the list with the new codex (which we might... maybe... I hope). For power I could see 30 power even, maybe 31-32 given that a Crusader is 27 power.

All things considered while I love the design and appearance of this guy there are some comments I've seen that bemoan the lack of anti-horde firepower and a focus more on multi-damage, lower shot count weapons and judging by my analysis of it's armaments I suspect that's probably an accurate judgement. Obviously we don't know what other weapons this Knight has but so far it doesn't look like it fills the niche that the Knight list really needs, dedicated massed dakka for clearing hordes.

I'm still hopeful though, at the very least we might get alternates for the meltaguns, four heavy stubbers would be a nice twelve shots just there which wouldn't hurt and alternate shoulder or arm weapons of the gatling variety are both still possible. We might see alternate shoulder weapons closer to the onslaught or Taurox Gatling Cannon and that would really help. Plus we have yet to see what alternate weapons the Armiger's will get and if the rumors about the Hellverin are anything to go by we might get some serious dakka in the next few months.

Also as an aside I was just reading through the older Knight Codexes and in the first one from back in 2013 the book mentioned rarer patterns of Knights including the Castellan and Crusader, mentioning the two in the same sentence as essentially the same class of more heavily armed but slower Knights. Maybe another indication that this new Knight won't be much, if any taller than a normal Knight.

I'm not going to quote you Vash, cause it's a lot of info but by and large I agree with what you said. I've speculated that unless we get a point drop on knights this thing will end up in the 800-range, which will probably make it really hard for it to make it's points back. I'm guessing it's going to have 28 wounds and possibly a 6+++. 

I hadn't considered the fact that the carapce missiles would be one-use only, that might make sense though I'm fairly certain they'd be a bit better than normal hunter-killers then. My initial thought was that they were hellstrike missiles but your suggestion probably makes more sense. I'm not sure I expect "shoulder carapace" guns will put out quite that many shots at basically autocannon stats. The giant plasma might be base strength 8 though since that's what the new space marine ones are, so there's some sort of precedent for that at least.

The left arm cannon looks fairly similar to a Warlord's Belicosa volcano cannon, so maybe a smaller version of that. Doubtful that it would get a Macro keyword, but having it be Str 10 or above wouldn't be an impossibility- it is definitely more likely to be the anti-tank weapon than the plasma arm cannon.

The points cost estimate from most people seems to hover near 800 points, which may be fair given the sheer amount of weaponry stacked onto the thing.

Edit- I'd also expect the shoulder cannons to be similar to autocannons in profile, maybe gaining more shots for shorter range.

I'm fine with being the minority opinion - I don't like it. It looks like an ork tried to recreate a Warlord Titan in a scale small enough to fit a non-Apocalypse game. But it lacks the gandeur of the Warlord, and the elegance of the rest of the Knights.

Its grown on me the more I think about it.

More colour schemes will certainly help.

If the FW Knights get treated properly and this thing gets 30k rules maybe my 2 Armiger will be the start of something big and beautiful...

Already hunting ebay for sales on the Armigers. I know that the Imperial Knights should eventually get a release for their own Armigers but I'm not sure if I should wait. It took almost six months for some of the Death Guard stuff to release. I just want to be ready for the LVO 2019 really. What every army I end up building and taking to the LVO Friendly. I just want to have a good time.

Edit: Was reading about the Armigers from the Necron/Mech box and it says they have thermal spears as weapons. Looks like it is not just meltas.

On the back is a second reactor. Shield generators are the nodes on to of normal knights. It's going to have a dangerous explodes profile for sure.

I really think it's just an upgrade kit and those legs are the same as a normal knight. Compared to Armiger this thing looks very close to other knights. Considering how agile regular Questoris class knights are I suspect it can bear the weight but be slower.

Archived