Greetings all! 

So I am in the process of finishing my "try hard" Dark Angels army. By that I mean putting great bases on them, doing squad and company markings, the whole nine yards. The end goal is to reconstruct the 5th Company with the units that I have. 

However, I did run across something that puzzled me. The new DA codex has an entire section about the livery of the Dark Angels, providing information on company colors and the location of squad markings, battle honors, etc yet it did not have any information on the livery of the Deathwing. I ran across an article on the 40k Wiki  that shows three different types of Deathwing Knight "markings" with three different color schemes that would be featured on the left knee pad. The Wiki did not explain what each of those meant or what they signified. 

Thus my question in short is, do Deathwing Knights have their own version of company markings to signify different brotherhoods?  If so, is this information that is present in previous codexes and just didn't make the transition to 8th ed.? Or is the information on the Wiki accurate?

Thanks in advance guys, and I apologize if this has been answered/addressed elsewhere!

I believe Brother Sergeant Luther is correct that they are from the 7th edition codex. The page in the codex seems offer them as equivalent of squad markings but it also says that Deathwing knights can bear their own heraldry and iconography in place of squad markings. 

It's a bit hard to know because the entry is so small and the number of knights is undisclosed meaning we've no idea how many knights there are. 

So you can either pick an emblem or give each one their own unique heraldry. 

Excellent! This is exactly what I needed and that actually makes sense. What really piqued my interest is on the actual Knights models, some of the knee caps look like they actually sculpted in the four divisions for lack of a better term that make up the heraldry depicted in the article. I like that I have some freedom then with the Knights and their markings. It will provide a great counterpoint to the relative uniformity of the Green Wing I am painting! 

Greetings all!

So I am in the process of finishing my "try hard" Dark Angels army. By that I mean putting great bases on them, doing squad and company markings, the whole nine yards. The end goal is to reconstruct the 5th Company with the units that I have.

best company there is! Oh, and make sure you give them a unique-to-you "campaign badge" to set them apart from mine. The badge on my plasma cannoneer's kneepad indicates participation (the whole company was there) in the Rubicon Valley Campaign (no further information), I'd recommend coming up with something simple like that to mark your fully marked army as 'yours.'

med_gallery_13203_846_478591.jpg

Oh...and third squad is tha bestest!

med_gallery_13203_846_405605.jpg

Greetings all!

best company there is! Oh, and make sure you give them a unique-to-you "campaign badge" to set them apart from mine. The badge on my plasma cannoneer's kneepad indicates participation (the whole company was there) in the Rubicon Valley Campaign (no further information), I'd recommend coming up with something simple like that to mark your fully marked army as 'yours.'

med_gallery_13203_846_478591.jpg

Oh...and third squad is tha bestest!

med_gallery_13203_846_405605.jpg

I like to believe the fifth is best as well! I really like your campaign marking! I have been racking (or wracking?) my brain for a unique campaign badge that is distinctive and relatively easy to mass produce. During my lunch break I designed one with a sword piercing a serpent and it looked awesome. I went home and tried it and....lets just say I had to repaint that tactical marine's kneepad when it was all said and done. Way too much detail and way too little skill on my end.

Also, I have been trying to really customize the armor that is going to support the fifth company. A predator I am working on now, which is a rescue from eBay, will be one that served with the forces of the Eccelsairchy and will feature campaign badges/minimal adornment that depicts it service and its status as a "blessed machine." I am not going to lie, going the try hard method is drawing out the process, but seeing as how I am in grad school and my buddy I play with is also in the same program we haven't had much time to play so it is the perfect time for tedious, creative work!

Finally, I figured I would share with ya'll my customer 5th company master I kitbashed from Cataphractii terminator and Deathwing Knight parts.

5thCompanyMaster

Getting the Knight front half to fit was a real pain in the power armor, but once I got done I was pleased with the result. Unfortunately I did not check the rules before I created him, and had I known that he was going to get a straight up 2++ I would have put a combi weapon on him in lieu of a storm shield. But now that it is completed, I just can't bring myself to take it off. He may be inefficient points wise, but man does he look cool!