Hermanista's Knights Mechanicus

hermanista

It's different; frustrating to an extent with the blanket no shooting the bottom floor of buildings rule.

It's something I'll do again I think, despite the pounding I still enjoyed it, I'm just going to have to build the list to be much more competative and a lot less pretty with big shiny knights.

I got home Saturday night and in 3 minutes I'd built a much stronger list on Battlescribe that would be much more successful.

I just need to paint my Castellan next and intersperse it with little admech soldiers - I think I'm gonna paint them one at a time to try and make it more enjoyable.

Next event is back at WHW though for the Team tournament in April, so that'll be a 1750 point list that I want to at least be semi competative.

If you could build the most competitive functioning ITC list involving knights, what would it be?

I’ve started working on the below

Raven SHD

Castellan (IB, CW)

Crusader with ironstorm missile

Crusader with ironstorm missile

Catachan Batallion

Company Commander (GS, KA)

Company Commander(Vigilus empowers wrath artillery)

Primaris psyker

40 troops

Wyvern

And whatever flavour of assassin Is required using the pregame strat

The idea is knights do knight stuff. I’ve got screen and the ability to cap a couple of objectives. I am also able to either funnel all my cp into nuking big stuff via the Castellan or into the wyvern and indirect fire taking enemies off objectives

Anti psychic in the form of a cullexus/primaris psyker if required

What do you folks think?

It’s my first attempt at a strong list so be kind haha

Edited by Clingy

I was thinking very similar, just deciding whether I go double battalion or do I go for one pumped up guard one with wyverns.

Mine would be Krast too rather than Raven, I prefer cold fury/controlled aggression over move/order of companions.

In the mean time, changed my shift so came home early to do a bit of tinkering - the red clear I'd done from the other week was looking at me, so clipped it off the sprues to test fit it on the biggy.

Hello MetaKnight *he says sadly*

XTDFoji.jpg

Just be aware, FAQ is on the horizon and both the play testing group, and GW staff are making noises that included the word Castellan.

It was endemic again at the LVO. Considering where the grumbling is now coming from (and it can be directly quoted), I'm not sure it'll dodge a second bullet :/

Which is something of a shame, as I think the unit itself is actually not what's at fault.

Nah it's not it's the guard/admech battalions that do it. Make Order of Companions once per battle, done, problem solved.

Soup as always is the problem here.

The need to fix the CP system

Yep, exactly my thinking. Codexes have internal balance which usually works just fine. Knights get powerful strats, but don't get a lot of CP, and on powerful units, strats cost more (rotate on the Castellan for example).

That balance breaks the moment you can use Guards ability to generate a great deal of CP efficiently (which they need to be able to do to be viable as their own entity) to pump into your deliberately CP neutered Knight.

You're 100% correct, it comes down to soup.  

Points changes normally come in CA, and I wouldn't feel that's an appropriate fix anyway personally.

If it were me, I'd change Order of Companions to only work on Knights within a Lance - not solo Knights within Aux detachments. In fluff, it's supposed to represent members of the order coordinating their attacks anyway.

If that wasn't enough, possibly neutering solo Knights in aux detachments from being allowed access to the heirlooms and warlord trait strats would do the job. No Cawls Wrath in soup lists, and no 3++ either. But actual Knight lists still keep those benefits as they are designed to.

Points changes normally come in CA, and I wouldn't feel that's an appropriate fix anyway personally.

If it were me, I'd change Order of Companions to only work on Knights within a Lance - not solo Knights within Aux detachments. In fluff, it's supposed to represent members of the order coordinating their attacks anyway.

If that wasn't enough, possibly neutering solo Knights in aux detachments from being allowed access to the heirlooms and warlord trait strats would do the job. No Cawls Wrath in soup lists, and no 3++ either. But actual Knight lists still keep those benefits as they are designed to.

Except that some are already planning for that:

Prague open

I have a feeling a lot of the cross-faction relic use and especially Stratagem/CP bleed-over is going to take a big hit in 40k 8.1 . . . whenever that lands, OFC :P

• 3 weeks later...

We'll see what the big FAQ brings after adepticon I guess. Hopefully it's not too brutal on the knights themselves and looks at the cp system.

In the mean time, back to planning for upcoming events - three of them are planned in the calender now -

Warhammer World team event in April

The Gaming Expo 40k event May/June

40k Heat 3 in August

All three are 1750 tournaments run by GW, so no ITC rules to worry about.

Means I need to be thinking about CA2018 missions again, and whether I stick to pure knights of finally diverge to improve the win/loss ratio. After going 1-4 at the itc event, I'm thinking it could be time, but deciding how to go about it is the challenge.

I did consider the lancer, double crusader, 3 Vindicare vanguard and a 4th assassin via the stratagem.

Might not win me any fans, but 4 assassins would be a proper laugh vs characters

3 vindicares for when you absolutely, positively need to nail Abbadon Ascended to the wall.

Along with Eldrad, Guilliman and various other big boys of the game.

The 4th amigo I'll probably do up models for all 4 assassins, because of the ability to change them out, with an Eversors being most likely most of the time.

You don't need to worry about Ahriman so much when his brains are mulched over the battlefield

Edited by hermanista

Hermanista

Need your advice buddy. I have a 1500 point tournament coming up. Normal 40k, not ITC or anything funny like that.

Do you find 3 big knights to be the sweet spot based on your recent tournaments?

I really am toying with taking 2 Raven Crusaders and a Castellan for a point and click approach but I’m not sure how viable it is. What do you reckon?

Edited by Clingy

I've not run a Castellan yet, it's in the work in progress pile.

But they do a job, as do a pair of crusaders.

It's hard work with just the three knights, my own 1500 points swaps the Castellan for a lancer and gives the points for a helverin/Warglaive.

But that could equally go on the 32/17

I think you'll have fun, some challenging missions in there

Hello!

I left the Castellan at home and brought stygies backed up with a lone Krast Crusader. Won all my games but lost out on top spot due to points

Speaking of the Castellan....just how bad do we all think the nerfs are going to be? I hope they are not too unkind to knights.

Hello!

I left the Castellan at home and brought stygies backed up with a lone Krast Crusader. Won all my games but lost out on top spot due to points

Speaking of the Castellan....just how bad do we all think the nerfs are going to be? I hope they are not too unkind to knights.

Good work!

A single knight with support from Admech/AM in some soup constallation seems to be the most efficient, simply because you have the CP to burn and because there is no other big target to choose. So once you get that 3++ going, most opponents struggle. That part works for any big knight.

With regards to nerfs to the Castellan, I personally feel the soup needs to be reigned in, as I don't see the Castellan itself as the culprit. Limit CP-usage, or make aux choices unable to use strats, relics and traits. Only issue is that will unintentionally hurt Chaos lists bringing Abaddon, Marines using Guilliman and so on. At least they will not be made warlords. Perhaps limit traits and relics to only be available if the model is the warlord. Keep strats out of the loop. Let's be honest, a Castellan without 3++ against shooting and Order of Companions or guided missiles is not THAT great. It can still do work, no doubt, but it won't be as dominant.

Thanks, 3 games versus nice opponents. I’m fairly new to Krast but it seems a budget/effective household to function

I’m hanging fire from buying any more knights just in case....oh that’s an idea. I might message the community team pledging to purchase at least a knight on the date the FAQ goes live....provided they don’t get any nerfs

Who’s with me!

Thanks, 3 games versus nice opponents. I’m fairly new to Krast but it seems a budget/effective household to function

I’m hanging fire from buying any more knights just in case....oh that’s an idea. I might message the community team pledging to purchase at least a knight on the date the FAQ goes live....provided they don’t get any nerfs

Who’s with me!

Sorry, I'm not. I got my approximately 4K of IK already, way more than I really need, but I like to have options ;)

Both Castellan and Valiant sitting unpainted along with a magnetized Questoris and my 2 Helverins. And my DA and TS backlog is ridiculously huge :facepalm:

• 2 weeks later...

So with the Warhammer World teams event coming up, my list has been submitted to our captain who has sent it over to WHW.

House Krast SHD

Lancer Warlord with Ion Bulwark/Armour of the Sainted Ion

Castellan with 1 siegebreaker/4 Missiles

Crusader with RFBC

Helverin

87 Points left for an assassin.

Just got to finish painting the Castellan and the side board assassins.

Interesting times, but interesting to see how the Castellan goes for me as an improved version of the thermal crusader I normally run