Hermanista's Knights Mechanicus

hermanista

So the day after heat 2 with some thoughts about the weekend in regards to knights.

I finished up 18th of 104, so qualified for the final which is a nice start and was the only player there that ran pure knights! There were plenty there however, I also got a game on Warhammer TV in round 2 vs Tau, finally winning against the Tau after multiple attempts.

From what I saw of nosying at other tables I was the only one running a lancer and the new Moirax, there did seem to be less knights than normal however.

On the rules front, let's start with the bad - I run my lancer as Warlord, it's my favourite model, it's the only way to give it a warlord trait - extra attack which I feel it needs. I also run mine with the 2+ armour, but you could get that by making it lance leader in a second detachment.

As for its play, it was garbage for me now - I dont miss the regen, I forgot it most of the time anyway, but that extra 1d6 movement loss made me play much more conservative and thus in 5 games, he barely got into combat - three of the games he never even made it in.

It's a pity but hes going to get retired for now, which is a disappointment as it's my favourite model and best paint job.

Onto the positives though, Lightning Lock Moirax with house Vulker are broken, with the reroll I was consistently putting 14/15 shots a turn into a squad and having faces lots of t3/t4 troops just melting them with the 12 ap.

Tau fire warriors and guard died by the dozen - I killed 119 of 120 vs guard in round 4 as they just melted a squad each a turn whilst the lancer did for other in combat and endless fury accounts for another. - I ran 3 at the event, and bought a 4th before I left - I'm a big fan of symmetry and I think a crusader with 2x2 lightning locks might be something I try for a while.

Not sure where I go from here list wise especially for the final.

I'd be tempted with something along the lines of 2x crusader and 2 moirax, and some form of guard or admech support.

One vulker detachment and one cadmus potentially to help vs reinforcements with the strat would be an interesting surprise for someone.

A shame for the lancer - same as the Atropos, it went from unique and fitting a role to just mediocre knight with awesome model.

The other FW knights (Styrix etc.) don't look very promising too, but that happens when all the unique stuff gets removed.

Glad to hear the Moirax worked out. Vulker seems a natural fit for them - they will be tasked with removing the chaff units first, and have the movement to make them the closest units to use the buff. Also having unit size up to 3 nicely circumvents the Rule of 3. I've got 2 lightning and 1 volkite, together with the other 4 GW armigers that might create a nice mobile force.

What's your take on using more armigers and less big knights?

Congratulations Herm , I will see you at the 6'3 chap with the white ad mech and a bugmans is on me , I qualified with pure ad mech in heat 1 

Two of my buddies were there for heat 2 as well ,  Boris bad moon orks he finished 19th  and Wilym  who was playing Tau ... who finished 3-2 ... i think he would have said if he was on Warhammer Tv  so probably not him you played.

Enjoy the qualificaition ... ( now lets have a looksee if i can budget some Lightning locks into this months hobby spend)

Edited by synthaside

• 4 months later...

Like evil Lord Palpatine, I have returned.

After bit of a break, running my own 40k event and working on other armies I've returned to my little log.

So progress wise, I was planning to run marines at the GT final which is coming up this weekend. Time got in the way and it became marines and knights, now 5 days away and I'm going back to pure knights.

Just haven't had the chance to finish the army having a young family and other commitments, so rather than rush I went back to my true love (other than the wife and boy) to my knights.

There was some real thinking behind it, run knights and borrow some admech off a mate to give me a better tournament chance (though I'm definitely not winning it) but eliminate myself from the chance of getting a painting nomination.

Or I can run pure knights and hopefully earn a nomination as it's my own army.

In the end there was no choice, it had to be my pure knights - at the end of the day they earned me a spot in the final, it feels right to give them the opportunity to play in that final.

So with that in mind, its painting and tidy up time - I've stuck to my guns and the lancer remains in retirement and instead planning on running the following.

3 crusaders, 2 with RFBC and Ironstorms and 1 base.

2 Moirax with dual Lightning Locks.

1750 on the dot, the usual 9cp.

Not sure on which household to run them as though. My usual go to was Krast, but wondering if I bite the bullet and run as Taranis zombies for the damage mitigation.

Or vulker for the shooting rerolls to get my monies worth from their damage output.

But in the meantime, this is the third crusader WIP

T7y1CPL.jpg

More to to do obviously, but getting there.

Bjorn - A little I guess, but these were mainly based on hot rods with the cherry red :)

I have been thinking over the last few weeks however this could be my last red coloured knight.

Red ones are a dime a dozen, and because theyve been painted at seperate times they dont quite match up as paint combos changed.

So considering another force in the green, white and red of House Vyronii, very Welsh in colour that way.

Get three questoris done simultaneously and I have spare carapaces to do matching colours for my armigers as they aren't glued.

Something to consider.

Anyway, more work done on Wall-E this evening for the weekend, just getting the final bright colours in before his mud bath.

Tomorrow I need to sort his weapons out to match and then he can be glossed and coated in sludge mix

FDcpQpY.jpg

q9GS2a4.jpg

zzzrqdz.jpg

DHfc2On.jpg

Edited by hermanista

Another day, another few hours of painting.

nLyKXAY.jpg

UUE96op.jpg

Think I am gonna go with the meta and run them as Tanaris for the first time, though not sure on which relic to put on the warlord, and which model to use as the actual warlord.

Crusader, thermal cannon

Crusader, RFBC, Ironstorm

Crusader, RFBC, Ironstorm

Moirax with twin Lightning Locks

Moirax with twin Lightning Locks

Possibly the thermal knight, with Ion Bulwark and maybe Fury of Mars.

Want to keep Endless fury as an option rather than the only free relic, mainly because Fury of Mars can't go on the other knights.

What do folks think?

Gloss varnish on the surface first.

Micro set to soften the decals.

Take your time, and don't be scared of removing them if you're not happy.

Tonight's work so far, something a bit different and a bit cooler perhaps.

Since this are hulking great nuclear reactors on legs, decided to give them appropriate smoke stacks for a dirty reactor.

BNWwZLG.jpg

Xf2qu3P.jpg

7AH31bK.jpg

2 down, 8 stacks to go when the boy goes back to bed after waking from a bad dream.

I don't know what you made that smoke from but it's one of the more convincing effects I've seen. I also like the colour. Thick black smoke without being too black. What colour(s) did you use?

@ThousandEyes - cheers! :)

@Magos Takatus - the aren't actually painted yet! Lol, its woodland scenic dark green clump foliage, this is just the post sticking stage and now I'm covering in superglue that has melded with the foliage like concrete on my finger tips. Lol.

But despite that, found enough big paperclips to finish the other big boy so all three are now done! Just need to do some smaller ones for the armigers tomorrow, which will involve some pretty paperclip theft from work, lol.

Think they've come out ok. It's not an original idea, but think it certainly helps create a sense of cool to them

B6nFttB.jpg

1T4aiDg.jpg

31OHR11.jpg

DNHeGMm.jpg

Quite proud of them actually, let's see if they pay off nomination wise, lol

Hey dude, good to see you back

As a Taranis player my go to traits often tend to follow a pattern depending on opponents. Does your tournament let you mix and match between rounds?

The fury of mars depending on what I’m facing can be awesome or not really needed.

9CP does not give you much to play with and I can attest to Taranis being a Thirsty mistress. Just yesterday I played our darkest stratagem and failed the roll. Sometimes being aggressive and exploding in the enemies lines ala Krast playstyle is the way to go.

It sometimes catches people of guard when they expect you to want to resurrect a knight and you force an explode instead haha

Edited by Clingy

Clingy

Aye, it's a big step to move away from the Krast trait, by morning I might change back...

But currently it's Tanaris, the Warlord having Endless fury and Ion Bulwark with the RFBC.

Means I can not take Fury of Mars if the opponent doesn't warrant it - I'm stuff with that trait/relic though as it's a Warhammer World event.

And as it's the evening before an event in a hotel, a bit of painting has happened with a bit more planned for the morning.

JYW2kEm.jpg

xcW0jAt.jpg

EVPShHv.jpg

4i6ICMr.jpg

Theyll do I reckon. Let's hope the other finalists aren't great painters and I might earn that nomination. Lol

I did indeed!

Just home from the final, with a 3 win 3 loss record.

Finished 31/77 with an army that had no right to get that high (and the only pure knight army in attendance again), got to play a great game on Warhammer TV in round 3 for anyone who wants to watch it back. Game of the weekend according to the presenters!

And got my best painted nomination.

Couldn't ask for much more really!

DHWTRIT.jpg

M8eoJbG.jpg

6A6QIRl.jpg

Xlg7Cn1.jpg

pa2JBSt.jpg

6RzUfsi.jpg

Edited by hermanista

Damn, that looks nice. Makes me want to stock up on regular-sized knights and actually build a playable army, instead of just bigger-than-average centerpiece knights and loads of armigers.

And interesting to see such a variety on the tournament. Better than facing the same 3 meta lists over and over and over.

• 4 weeks later...

Lazarus

3 x Flamer Invictors

3x Impulsors with Ironhail Skytalon Array

Talonmaster Warlord, Impeccable Mobility, Corvus Oculus

2x Quad Launcher Rapier Carrier

3x Whirlwind with Vengeance Launchers

2x Impulsors with Ironhail Skytalon Array

2x Nephilum Jetfighter

1x Dark Talon

;)

Or theres a Sisters army I have in mind too.

But on the Knights front, for 2k I definitely think I'd look at 3 crusaders, a warden and a rusty 32 .

• 1 month later...

Afternoon!

Turns out I'm in a bit of hobby butterfly mode atm, with Dark Angel's, AT Titans and now some Dark/Adeptus Mechanicus bits happening.

Started on a more converted leader for a rusty/mech 17 last night, so thought I'd throw it in here as semi-relatable.

57z712C.jpg

iXKFJqS.jpg

cGlKkUf.jpg

uJiyS5f.jpg

Needs patchup, a change to the axe I think and some extra bits, but for a dark mech style sorceress, I think it's not a bad start.