A Reason to stick with AdMech Dominus

Prot

So I'm just spit balling here, because I have to figure out what I'm doing since I'm picking up my preorder in a day or two....

I was thinking this new Knight Dominus Class is probably going to be 800ish points I imagine.

And at first I was thinking of using this to springboard a House Terryn or something Knight House. But with a fair sized Admech force, it kind of feels wasteful.

I like using existing houses/chapters/forgeworlds so I won't be making something up. That being said I did find (what I think) is a strong argument for staying with Admech... A Cheap, repairing Batallion!

Let's break it down:

Dominus + Engineseer

2 x Vanguard (let's just throw a plasma in each one)

1 x ranger squad (let's say 2 Arquebus' because I like to poke my eye out with a fork)

In theory you could lighten this up and turn it down in points even more so. Basically I want a decent foot print, and mobilie ObSec, while having HQ's  that won't be... too easily overwhelmed. But you could go dirt cheap. This option is 367 Points Total

Take 2 Armigers: (with melta) at 480 Points Total

This puts us at 847. Leaving us with approximately 1,153 points for the Dominus (I imagine he will just fit in there) OR a 'normal' knight to round out my Super Heavy Detachment.

This leads me to wonder if I should stay AdMech with the Knight portion, but also makes me question.... is running a light 'repair' force, with some smattering of troops really worth it? Let's be honest, aside from hop on an objective, and do some repairing, it won't do much else... besides give us 6 CP.

What do you guys think? Bad idea? Amazing idea? Or just an excuse for me to spend more money I don't have! :smile.:

Edited by Prot

AdMech detachment also gives Machine Spirit Resurgent stratagem, which is really handy for a Knight...

But that relies on Knight Codex not getting a similar stratagem.

Yea I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't mention it for the same reason... it (or a similar variant) may be in the new codex.

So in part what I'm proposing above may not be a great idea if 1) the Knight codex has superior "knighty' Stratagems, and 2) House "Awesome-o" might have Traits that are cooler, funner, and/or more competitive than AdMech house Keyword.

I know Terryn will be good as they appear to be the poster boy of the codex. But in my heart I can't see Admech House keywords not getting a 'survivability' trait...a repair, an ignore wound, a feel no pain, or something like that. I would be fine with that kind of trait (Just please no CC traits!).

It would be so fun to plop Cawl down with such an army (even though he does not help it really). However the Statagems and Traits will be big, and may make the AdMech strats fairly mediocre for all we know.

I can't get away from the house guard/astra Militarum battallion, ok you don't get the ability to fox knights, but the Kurovs aquila/tactical brilliance 5+ CP return is too good to miss.

Unless the knights get similar I'll be doing just that, just to fill out the points in a 2k list and for the regening cos for the inevitable knight strats.

Personally, this release has me completely rethinking how far I want to take the Titan Guard idea I've been mulling over in the back of my brain. I was always going to do it, and my Mechanicus collection is the start of it, so when I finally get to the bigger elements that I have long planned, I have a dedicated block of units that are meant to be infantry and lighter armour support dedicated to the guard role. In my case, I'm considering this from a collection, fiction, and fieldable army/s perspective, so I'm not just considering formal list builds. Therefore I think it's an excellent idea, even if it doesn't perform absolutely perfectly on the table. In fact, you've got me thinking I might just want to build a bunch of basic Rangers to have the cheapest option (outside of AM) available; you're right, they're mostly going to just rush/babysit objectives, be speedbumps, and plink away at things, why invest anything more than the minimum?

I'm narrative and models first, then gameplay second. Besides while I work slow I was converting up some Mechanicus when Forgeworlds Mechanicum came out and then the Knight hit and i made mine Ad Mech. So I'm definitely staying with my own Mechanicus Knight House... But then that doesn't need to be tied to rules.

As far as repairing goes, back when I was just using 30k models and rules my opponents decided the scariest thing in the world was something with a repair roll that can repair knights.

AdMech detachment also gives Machine Spirit Resurgent stratagem, which is really handy for a Knight...

But that relies on Knight Codex not getting a similar stratagem.

If it doesn't become a normal strat for all knights to use then Mechanicus knights will be considerably better right out of the gate. Please don't mess this up GW.

Here is an update on my (in)decision

I’m reading Forgebane and the implications of Alignment seem like they could be big.

In Forgebane it mentions something we already knew... House Raven is Mechanicus aligned. Right now that doesn’t mean much, but the Admech strats help ‘Questoris’ units, however what if in the Knight dex, a rue of being Mechanicus aligned gave your House defacto use of Canticles? That would pretty awesome for allied detachments of Mechanicus. Conversely if you took that same situation with an Imperium aligned house we’d have to assume the Mechanicus bonus rule ( whatever it is) won’t be there. So in my example your back to spending command points to use Canticles on your Imperium aligned house.

Something to think about...

The Dominus Castellan isn't going to be more than 700 points I'd wager(I'd say probably 650ish on the high end). The Acastus Knight Porphyrion is is over 800 points and that thing is the Warhound equivalent for knights; I doubt it will be outclassed by this new Knight when it's almost double the size.

If I were to run a repair force I'd take 3 Enginseers. Then a Super Heavy Detachment with 2 Armigers and the Castellan. That's 595 points before the Castellan. For 1CP you can 4HPs a turn. Then sprinkle in troops.