Most Ridiculous Unit You've Seen

Skaorn

For me it is the Chaos 3.5 Possessed with the Mark of Tzeentch and Daemonic Flight. Tzeentch turned them all into sorcerers with no perils tests. If you decided to be thrifty at this point and give them all Doom Bolt, you still ended up with essentially a unit of assault marines with Assault 3 18" heavy bolters iirc. The price tag was the real kicker as one unit was a very sizable chunk of your army. I never fielded them because they were a silly point sink, but I was tempted just for a lark.

I remember from 2nd edition that teleporting Inquisitors in TDA were pretty ridiculous, or just about any Daemon prince.

Early 2nd also had polymorphined assassins springing up in terminator suits while on bikes.

In RT times, with the right character generation rolls it was possible to get a high level psyker with a temporal manipulation ability that could essentially cancel the other sides turn every turn.

Are we talking over powered on the table top then?

For me that would be a mix of units but Paladins "back in the day" were pretty unpleasant to face.

Ridiculous in concept? Thunderwolves I'm afraid for me.

I think the most rediculous unit I've heard of was the Ork Nob bodyguard unit in 3rd when built to maximum model count. I think you could take 10 Nobs, 2 Meks and 2 painboyz, but each one could take up to 3 grots or squigs. So you had a unit of 40+ to guard your Warboss, most of which were squigs!

Seventh edition Phantom Titan. Phenomenal power and I'm still in awe thinking about it instagibing Reaver Titans.

Second edition would be Foulspawn... And Eldar Warlocks :/

Second edition Grey Knights squad, because one psychic Space Marine hero in TDA with access to the =][= spell deck just isn't enough. And Emperor help you if you happen to be a Chaos player on the receiving end of them.

Sticking with second edition:

- Pretty much any high-level hero with a Displacer Field, a Vortex grenade, and any skills/spells/equipment that helped their movement.

- Any of the named Chaos Daemon Princes.

- Virus strategy card (even though that was later rescinded by the Dev team, who told people to tear it up).

I remember the 2ns edition Wolf Guard in Terminator armour all armed with assault cannons and cyclone launchers being fairly obscene!

Necrons in 3rd edition, when they had just come out. Warriors if I had to pick a unit. I'm not sure it was possible to lose with them. Sold mine out of sheer boredom eventually!

1: 4th Edition Harlequins with Rend on To-Hit.

You couldn't shoot them (Veil of Tears), couldn't stay in cover to fight first (Flip Belts ignored Cover), they Rended on To-Hit, which bypassed To Wound rolls.

And they then consolidated into another unit.

2: 5th Edition pre nerf Flamers of T.

Ugh.  They Deep Struck off an Icon, so didn't scatter.  Then three of them melted entire squads with their :cuss flamers

3: 4th/5th/6th/7th Edition Dark Reapers and Exarch

AP-3 Missiles.  So you stuck in cover.  Exarch ignored Cover saves.  Good Game.

4: 8th Edition Dark Reapers

Where's the nerfbat?

5: Anything that delivers Mortal Wounds on To-hit rolls.  Like Soulburners.

6: 5th Edition GK vehicles.

Fed up of Shaken/Stunned?  Fortitude.

7: 4th Edition Falcons

So you finally break the AV.  Holofield stops you doing anything on the damage chart.  Which they then ignore with Star Engines / Spirit Stones to tank shock you off an objective last turn.

Ridiculous in concept? Thunderwolves I'm afraid for me.

I haven't played for very long but yep... this. If everything gets "primaris-ized" TWC won't follow and SW will get a different unique unit.

It will be Wolves riding Wolves, with a Space Wolf on top, or Grimnar's Santa Sleigh will become standard issue, just imagine the glorious unit of angry viking/wolf/space-santas.

Rik

I remember the 2ns edition Wolf Guard in Terminator armour all armed with assault cannons and cyclone launchers being fairly obscene!

Indeed - broken, but beautiful.  My "warlord" had just such a loadout.  Turned out to yield a great saga from it, in fact.

Madboyz 1st edition /RT. i loved every page of their rules. (page after page of their phobias, delusions, paranoia and so on in ´ere we go or was it freebooterz?)

Roll some D10 and other dice: result, the entire mob decides to help Snotgit find his lost (imaginary) pet squid. Randomly determine a point on the battle field (X inches up and Y inches to a side). The unit then marches on towards that point....roll some more dice another turn and get a new affliction....GREAT TIMES

Sixth edition Exorcist. S8, D6 A, AP1. So many players spent too much time trying to take the two I had, that they made the mistake of not paying attention elsewhere... :lol:

As a chaos player I always remember mindshackle scarabs ruining all fun I had with special characters, so I guess any overlord with them and a warscythe if we're being specific in my case.

Wraithknights were fairly intimidating as well but I didn't experience them all too often.

5th edition GK Paladins. They took the wound allocation shenanigans Ork Nob Bikers had pioneered at the beginning of the edition, and put it on a Sv2+ body with a 2+/3++ ignores-instant-death character to tank the big shots. It was just immune to so many different army list's ability to do damage, and auto-won Kill Point missions.