Crowe: The Greatest Daemon Horde Slayer

Icosiel

I played against Slaanesh daemons last night and I brought Crowe. I know he's not very good in this edition, but I love his flavor so much that I don't really care.

What I notice is that Crowe is probably better suited for dealing with minor Daemons than any other Grey Knights character. He rerolls hits and wounds, and against the T3 of Daemonettes he was regularly landing 10 total wounds every round. Normally the lack of AP on the Black Blade of Anwyr is a real buzzkill, but against Daemons it doesn't matter. My Paladins have their impressive -2s and -3s on their weapons, but Daemons don't care about that. They only ever roll an Invuln save anyway. And the D3 damage from a typical Force Weapon is also irrelevant against 1 Wound Daemonettes. So essentially, assuming average saves, Crowe was killing 7 Daemonettes each Fight Phase and Draigo was only killing 3. And then when he was slain by their pincers and claws, Crowe took out 8 more Daemonettes in his death throws.

We're constantly saying that Crowe is a completely worthless unit. But against low Toughness hordes with poor saves, Crowe does better than any other character. And considering the prevalence of such hordes in this edition (Guard, Orks, Tyranids), Crowe has much more utility than we give him credit for.

In my experience, at least.

I played against Slaanesh daemons last night and I brought Crowe. I know he's not very good in this edition, but I love his flavor so much that I don't really care.

What I notice is that Crowe is probably better suited for dealing with minor Daemons than any other Grey Knights character. He rerolls hits and wounds, and against the T3 of Daemonettes he was regularly landing 10 total wounds every round. Normally the lack of AP on the Black Blade of Anwyr is a real buzzkill, but against Daemons it doesn't matter. My Paladins have their impressive -2s and -3s on their weapons, but Daemons don't care about that. They only ever roll an Invuln save anyway. And the D3 damage from a typical Force Weapon is also irrelevant against 1 Wound Daemonettes. So essentially, assuming average saves, Crowe was killing 7 Daemonettes each Fight Phase and Draigo was only killing 3. And then when he was slain by their pincers and claws, Crowe took out 8 more Daemonettes in his death throws.

We're constantly saying that Crowe is a completely worthless unit. But against low Toughness hordes with poor saves, Crowe does better than any other character. And considering the prevalence of such hordes in this edition (Guard, Orks, Tyranids), Crowe has much more utility than we give him credit for.

In my experience, at least.

The problem is, that's what storm Bolters are for. They murder chaff, so your characters can get to the evil stuff.

We're constantly saying that Crowe is a completely worthless unit.

Because he is.

As has been pointed out, even in your example that you're using to show how good he is, in a quite limited situation, he willingly sacrifices himself to kill less than his own value. That's not good.

Today my Crowe was riding  rhino, got out t2 because transport was going down, reached enemy commander t4 on foot, dealt 3 wounds with smite, gated back in my deploy on objective, t5 he advanced 12 inches to enemy BroCap with Jump Pack (1 wound left)that was 14 inches away, failed his smite rolling 1-2 (no CP left) and gated back (periled for 3 MW) to the very same objective. Killing that BroCap could give our team point for Assassinate and freed allied onager he tied in close combat and denied enemy linebreaker. In combat phase the same BroCap killed onager that was holding objective (for big guns never tire mission) and consolidated to that objective. This costed us a game. Incredible adventures of Crowe