Furies, flying meat shields?

Doom Herald

I have been looking at the idea of using furies as a dedicated body-guard for flying characters. They do cost more than other screens, more than 2X what cultists do, but they can keep up with winged characters, in my case a winged Daemon Prince [Tzeentch]. They also have a 5+ Invulnerable save, 4+ invuln if Tzeentch & DR if Nurgle. Plus, the Tzeentch locus adds a little extra durability. With the 4+ invuln and the locus, would Tzeentch furies be worth the cost to guard a prince?

I thought about just summoning cheaper units, but that would cost movement. Are there any other methods that work for protecting flying characters without sacrificing speed? A Tzeentch Daemon Prince is already pretty durable, but more is better, plus I have been playing with this idea for CSM characters too.

If you are not bound to a single god I would say you got plenty of options. Seekers, Screamers, Drones, Furies... or just throw 1 or 2 30 man units of Plaguebearers in your opponents face. Even units that can not see them are not allowed to shot your Prince as long as the PBs are closer.

And if you want bodyguards that stay close to him I would say the Drones are your best bet because they can soak up the most damage.

You shouldn't rush out with your Daemon Prince all alone anyway. Just because he has a lot of movement with Wings it doesn't mean you have to move the whole distance. Keep him back until the rest of your army is in position and then strike together with them. The bigger movement range and FLY keyword will give you a much better selection of targets to charge and once your army clashed with your opponents he still can act independently since now your armies are all over the place anyway.

• 1 month later...
I see furies as cheap and therefore not particularly threatening objective takers rather than offensive units. Plus, they're the cheapest fast attack option for a brigade (for mono khorne armies).

I see furies as cheap and therefore not particularly threatening objective takers rather than offensive units. Plus, they're the cheapest fast attack option for a brigade (for mono khorne armies).

Why on earth would you take poopy furies over fantastic flesh hounds??

Why on earth would you take poopy furies over fantastic flesh hounds??

They can reach objectives on higher levels of ruins more easily and they're cheaper. Other than that, Flesh Hounds all the way.

I still want to convert up some Furies for my Khorne army, but they're just so hard to justify taking...

Trim the sword off a bloodletter (or not, but easier to distinguish from actual bloodletters once modelled), glue on some 'nid gargoyle wings, which fit nicely into the angle between the back crest and torso of the bloodletter, and hey presto...

I also need to convert up 3 furies as well since I've somehow lost 3 out of my squad of 10.

I'm thinking of using bodies made from plaguebearers, Nurglings, and greenstuff with wings made out of some old 2nd edition raptor jetpacks I have in my bitz box.

I always liked the idea of flying zombies. Rotten little angels cavorting through the sky... and furies have crappy statlines, not dissimilar from poxwalkers.

Archived