Terrible GW brush

dread05

That’s happened to every single GW brush I’ve bought. I love GW, but their brushes need an overhaul.

I have refused to buy them (except in an “emergency”) for years now.

Seems like you're caring a lot for your brush, that should definitely not be happening. With your level of care a Windsor Newton series 7 would last you well over a year so it might be worth the investment.

Maybe, maybe not.

I ordered three Series 7 last week.

-The 00 came apart in my hands when I took it out of the envelope and tried to remove the brush's protective slide. The ferrule came away from the handle instead.

-The 000 has 4-5 hairs sticking out of the tip and side that make painting detail impossible. Removing them is the only option and that will compromise the brush eventually. 

Brushes are manufactured products. Every company has a QA/QC procedure for their products and sometimes a mistake is made. I don't believe anyone should hold it against a company if they get one faulty brush.

I have my Citadel Fine Detail brush with a brown handle that I still use regularly. Hell, I still have blue handled citadel brushes that I use. 

But back to the primary subject, I can second that Rosemary & Co. and the W&N Cotman series of brushes are very good for their price point. A W&N Series 7 brush (or equivalent) will still perform better (the difference is subtle, but it is there) and last longer, but for many people the difference isn't significant enough to really matter to them.

My first brushes were W%N cotman, I liked them but after a couple of weeks, their tops began to bend. After some google research, I found out this happens with synthetic brushes. 

-The 00 came apart in my hands when I took it out of the envelope and tried to remove the brush's protective slide. The ferrule came away from the handle instead.

-The 000 has 4-5 hairs sticking out of the tip and side that make painting detail impossible. Removing them is the only option and that will compromise the brush eventually. 

I order my brushes from Dick Blick Art Materials because they stand behind their products.  I ordered a couple W&N Series 7 and a couple of Raphael 8404's.  One of the Raphaels had a stray bristle, I called them up and they said "donate it to a school or throw it out, we'll send you a replacement".  Sometimes you get a bad brush but when you have a company that treats you right it's not a big deal.

http://the-sage-brush.blogspot.com/2015/05/review-dick-blick-art-supplies.html

I order my brushes from Dick Blick Art Materials because they stand behind their products.  I ordered a couple W&N Series 7 and a couple of Raphael 8404's.  One of the Raphaels had a stray bristle, I called them up and they said "donate it to a school or throw it out, we'll send you a replacement".  Sometimes you get a bad brush but when you have a company that treats you right it's not a big deal.

http://the-sage-brush.blogspot.com/2015/05/review-dick-blick-art-supplies.html

Absolutely agree 100%

I order from Dick Blick as well, but the brush falling apart made me irate. I emailed W&N directly and told them what I experienced. They apologized within eight hours or so and offered to send a new brush. I politely declined. The 00 I fixed with a dab of glue and the 000 might not last as long but it is still a superior brush. 

The Works do nice cheap brushes, especially their soft grip range, make it a lot more comfortable if you're doing longer painting sessions.

Their really cheap brushes are ok for drybrushing and basing too.

https://www.theworks.co.uk/c/art-supplies/paint-brushes/?pageSize=20&page=2

Also, their Crafters acrylic paints are good for blocking in base colours. 

https://www.theworks.co.uk/c/art-supplies/acrylic-paints/?orderBy=3&page=1

Just remember to Thin Your Paints ;)

E3mG6R8e_t.jpg

Archived