Updating my tau - what should I replace?

Andy Tea

Hi,

I have an old mostly 2nd codex tau army that is in need of a bit of an update and i'm wondering what new things i should get and what old things the should replace.

For space is at a premium and if i get some new then some old tau needs to be sold/turned into terrain/chucked in the bin

in short the old models need to sacrifice themselves for the greater good

I'll list below what I have but a few things to bear in mind - its not a strict one in and one out policy, its about space in the case. my army is currently kept in 2 standard size KR cases. so i cant chuck out a fire warrior and replace it with a storm surge, to get a storm surge i'd have to chick half the army which seems a little excessive

Anyway here is what i have currently

HQ

1 Cadre Fireblade

1 Ethereal on foot

1 old commander (plastic kit with metal upgrades) with Air bursting fragmentation projector, burst cannon and shield

Troops

5x 12 units of fire warriors with Pulse Rifle

1x 12 Units of fire warriors with pulse carbine

Elites

8x Stealth suits with burst cannons (old metal version)

3x Crisis suits with missile pod and fusion blaster

3x crisis suits with burst cannon and plasma rifle

2x crisis suits with flamer and burst cannon (these guys used to be body guards)

2x Firesight Marksmen 

Fast Attack

5 man pathfinder units with 3x rail rilfes

5 man pathfinder unit with 1x ion rifle

Recon Drone

Pulse accelerator drone

grav inhibitor drone

5x Piranhas - 2 with Fusion blaster (i've no idea why i bought 5, probably the first thing to get replaced)

26 gun drones

2 proper shield drones

7 first generation shield drones (IE gun drones without the guns)

1x markerlight drone

Heavy Support

3x old broadsides (crisis suit with metal add ons) with heavy rail rifles and smart missile systems - all in various states of falling apart

2x Hammer head with Railgun and burst cannons

1x Hammerhead with Ion cannon and burst cannons

1x Sky Ray with smart missile system

6x sniper drones

I have already bought a Ghostkeel (because it looks cool) which i'm planning on building as full fusion and then replacing a piranha (or 2 if need be) with

I've also ordered 20 breacher gun arms to reequip some fire warriors with

but beyond that i'm open to suggestions

oh and don't worry about points cost, we are still using power level because we are lazy

cheers

Well, you have lots of stuff...at least you had a varied list back in the day :thumbsup:

swapping the pulse carbine firewarriors with the Breacher arms was my first thought :laugh.:

I'd try and sell off the old metal broadsides(apparently some ebay peeps out there love em to death)

id' also ditch the old commander and get a new Coldstar :devil: 

Q- are your stealth suits the Old xv-15 suits? i had some of those...they did look cool and stealth-like :ph34r.:

Perhaps sfPanzer may drop in later and throw some wisdom at this list...

Do you have any pics of your army,interested to see it !!

Cheers, Mithril

p.s. welcome back to the greater good.      

Thanks, at the time it was quite a diverse army

I was thinking about getting a cold star commander possibly with all burst cannons just so I can roll buckets of dice

Are the new broadsides bigger then the old ones? I'm tempted byou the new ones but the space the old ones are in is a bit tight anyway so I may have to do sone rearranging

Yes the stealth suits are the old xv-15

One thing I'm considering is rearranging the crisis suit weapons now they are no longer twin linked if take 2

I forgot to mention I also have a devilfish transport as well

I'll see if I can work out how to up load photos although the painting on them is not my best

Cheers

The old Broadsides are just old Crisis with few extra bitz. They look pretty dated by now imo. The new Broadsides are completely new kits different from Crisis. Slightly bigger and bulkier. Equipped with the HRR easily one of my favorite T'au units.

You should definitely re-do your Crisis loadouts. Magnetizing is very recommended for them. Same with the Commander.

Strike Teams with Carbines aren't the best but for casual games decent enough. If you want to switch them out either go with Rifles or do a complete switch to a Breacher Team with Blaster (different head, shoulder armor, backpack and weapon).

The Skyray is rather meh considering that you could just give Hammerheads Seeker missiles as well.

The rest is fine as is. Overall you have many different options how to play your T'au army so giving specific recommendations is not really possible. Play the units you like and see for yourself what works and what not. ;)

I didn't realisee the Breacher teams where so different, I've bought 20 Breacher gun arms and I was just planning on lopping off some pulse rifle arms and replacing them with the breacher ones. I hope they fit.

Yes the he broadsides looks cool

I think I may have to get some of them

I'll have a dig through my bits box and see if I can find all the spare crisis weapons

Thanks again

They will fit perfectly fine. It's the same box as the Strike Team one. There're just additional heads, shoulder armor, arms and backpacks for the Breacher included.

Well done on buying an awesome riptide, as I said to someone else here.. Don't bin your models, take em to your local gaming club or GW and find a kid who will want them to help his own starting force... Better than binning them :-)

Good luck with all your new models and show us pics of the new ones at least!

Cheers, Mithril

I am slightly concerned with how the riptide will fit in the case. I might see if I can build it in sections and then use pins or magnets to hold it together for games

I also need to work out what to arm it with

I don't have a local games club and I'm not sure GW would be happy if I rocked up and started handing out free models but I'll see what I can do

Simple answer is get a coldstar, you won't regret!

With some changes to what the crisis amd commander are equipped with, what you have includes all the models i took for a brigade I used recently for a competitive game with the new codex - except I wanted more fire warriors as I only have 25!

Depends what you want though, Riptides, a Stormsurge or ghostkeel are all fun but may not actually be more competitive than what you already have.

Darkstrider could be useful if you think you'll go tau as would longstrike if using the hammerheads. A 2nd (and 3rd) commander is never a bad choice either.