Greater Good Today

Panzer

To be fair the rail rifle fireblade was just me being silly. No way we would get a cheap BS2+ character with such a potent weapon lol

To be fair the rail rifle fireblade was just me being silly. No way we would get a cheap BS2+ character with such a potent weapon lol

your right, give him a Heavy Pulse rifle. weaker than rail, strong than a standard.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to have a small 2v2 with 500p per player tomorrow. I think I'll try Dal'yth for the first time instead of my usual Sa'cea. Wish me luck lol

A Vanguard detachment with a Stealth-Coldstar, 2x3 Stealth Suits, a Marksman and 3 Sniper Drones I think. Not sure against what kind of armys or factions I'm going to play tho. AM and GK are more or less set to be there and the 4th could be either Dark Eldar, Nurgle Daemons, Death Guard or Space Wolves lol

• 2 weeks later...

Alright I was able to get two games in with Dal'yth. One 2v2 with 750p per player against AM and DG. The other with 3k points per side (1500 for me) against AM, SW and Behemoth Tyranids.

Before I go into the details I've got one thing to say: damn can Dal'yth take a beating and still stand!

In the first game I've deployed a full Fusion Ghostkeel and two Stealth Suit teams with a Fusion Blaster in each in front of Pask in a Punisher and some DG with line of sight to basically their whole army. The plan was to take Pask out early so my GK partner can live to see the end of the game (that was basically my whole army. The rest consists of 2x5 Strike Teams, 10 Kroot, my stealth Coldstar, a Marksman and an Ethereal). It worked out ... more or less.

Of course I didn't go first and I thought I made a huge mistake deploying basically my whole army in front of Pask and the rest of their army. Hah you'd think! They tanked their whole armies shooting and I lost only 1-2 Stealth Suits and a single wound on the Ghostkeel. Yes they focussed their whole shooting on those three units and simply bounced off of the negative to-hit modifier and the 2+ save (and the 4++ on everything with Fusion). It was a big fat distraction Carnifex!

Now their turn ends and it's our turn and I'm still not too sure what to think about it. I failed to wound Pask even once with 6 Fusion shots at half range. Not. even. once. No Markleright support (no LoS from my backline) and T8 makes for a very unhappy T'au player. So now I've moved my guys so I lost the benefit of Cover and failed to even scratch Pask. Great. Best thing I could do was to charge him I guess. So the Ghostkeel charges Pask in the front and one Stealth Suit team makes a monster charge and gets him in the back+side. That's the end of the story. They stayed like that for the rest of the game while the GK and my Commander worked to get rid of the rest of their army. :D Later on two DG characters and a unit of Plague Marines tried to free Pask but Typhus was waaaay too slow to get there in time, the Plague Caster was too slow in getting rid of the Stealth Suits and the Plague Marines were too slow in getting rid of the Ghostkeel ... they're no melee unit after all.

Was it bad target selection? Yes ... maybe. In hindsight it would've been much better to kill as many of the GK as possible. Then again it was 4+1d3 Fusion Blaster right in front of Pask and near a second Russ. Kinda risky to ignore even with T8.

Small MVP in that game from the small guys: 10 Kroot made 16 hits on Poxwalker with their not-Bolter without any Markerlight support clearing the way for the Grey Knights. :D

In the second game I screwed up the deployment of my Stealth Suits and my Ghosttkeel. I'm still not used to deploying them against units that actually want to charge them so I lost my Stealth Suits to some Genestealer who then got boosted towards our lines (where 3 Crisis Suits with two flamer each were waiting so there's that :D ) and my Ghostkeel got charged by 20 Gaunts and a Patriarch. He killed 8 of the Gaunts in Overwatch thanks to a great roll with my flamer (went for the IonRaker+2Flamer loadout this time) and survived thanks to him fumbling the rolls for his Patriarch (tho I had two Shield Drones nearby anyway) so I was able to fall back with 6 remaining wounds and kill the remaining Gaunts and Patriarch in my turn.

So what did Dal'yth do for me in this game when I failed at basic deployment with my stealth guys? Well I had a HRR+2PR Broadside deployed on high ground (LoS to basically everything on the board unless they want to keep hiding behind the bigger LoS blocking stuff) and a Ion Cannon Hammerhead nearby. Oh and my flamer Crisis with 6 Shield Drones of course.

So in short, one AssBack wrecked a Strike Squad (played together with GK again ... I guess they think I need some psychic defense lol ), a wyvern failed at killing more than one Shield Drone thanks to the cover bonus and the other killed only two from my Strike Squad thanks to the cover bonus. The rest tried to kill my Broadside and my Hammerhead. Keyword here is 'tried'. It was a bunch of Lascannons, Missile launchers, another AssBack, some Hive Guard artillery and so on. I fumbled some saves for my Broadside and got reduced to 1 wound (1+ save out in the open is awesome lol who needs shield generators) and the Hammerhead lost two wounds as well. That's it. Next turn we proceeded to steamroll their flank without TWC, both AssBacks and Pask and got 3 units + 2 HQs in their backfield. Unfortunately it had to end after the first turn due private stuff.

So in both games I didn't go first so I didn't have the chance to move before they were able to shoot so I had the full benefit of the Dal'yth Sept Tenet and in both games it practically ended for me after the first round because either the game ended or I simply had all my interesting targets tied up in melee. Of course that's far from representative since a game ususally has far more than a single shooting phase. Nontheless I'm amazed at how much of a beating I was able to take without losing any of my damage output.

I love not losing half of my army turn one just because I didn't get first turn, but I REALLY miss the free re-roll for my Stealth Suits Fusion Blaster, HRR Broadside, Railgun Hammerhead, RR Pathfinder, Strike Team Markerlights and Fusion Blaster Piranhas. It's also awesome to be able to play a stealth Coldstar tho that argument could easily get made void if GW ever decides to release an actual Stealth Commander.

I'll need more testing but so far I'm strongly considering switching from Sa'cea to Dal'yth for good. It fits my armys theme much better and is not as terrible crunch-wise as I feared (tho I REALLY have to see how it works out when I go first and in games where my opponent has more opportunities to shoot at my stuff past turn 1). However while Dal'yth fits my armys theme better, Sa'cea fits better with how I like to play my units. Not an easy decision for me for sure.

Now my question to you is: did you ever play one of the less popular Septs? Maybe Dal'yth even? How did it work out for you?

Alright I was able to get two games in with Dal'yth. One 2v2 with 750p per player against AM and DG. The other with 3k points per side (1500 for me) against AM, SW and Behemoth Tyranids.

Before I go into the details I've got one thing to say: damn can Dal'yth take a beating and still stand!

In the first game I've deployed a full Fusion Ghostkeel and two Stealth Suit teams with a Fusion Blaster in each in front of Pask in a Punisher and some DG with line of sight to basically their whole army. The plan was to take Pask out early so my GK partner can live to see the end of the game (that was basically my whole army. The rest consists of 2x5 Strike Teams, 10 Kroot, my stealth Coldstar, a Marksman and an Ethereal). It worked out ... more or less.

Of course I didn't go first and I thought I made a huge mistake deploying basically my whole army in front of Pask and the rest of their army. Hah you'd think! They tanked their whole armies shooting and I lost only 1-2 Stealth Suits and a single wound on the Ghostkeel. Yes they focussed their whole shooting on those three units and simply bounced off of the negative to-hit modifier and the 2+ save (and the 4++ on everything with Fusion). It was a big fat distraction Carnifex!

Now their turn ends and it's our turn and I'm still not too sure what to think about it. I failed to wound Pask even once with 6 Fusion shots at half range. Not. even. once. No Markleright support (no LoS from my backline) and T8 makes for a very unhappy T'au player. So now I've moved my guys so I lost the benefit of Cover and failed to even scratch Pask. Great. Best thing I could do was to charge him I guess. So the Ghostkeel charges Pask in the front and one Stealth Suit team makes a monster charge and gets him in the back+side. That's the end of the story. They stayed like that for the rest of the game while the GK and my Commander worked to get rid of the rest of their army. :biggrin.: Later on two DG characters and a unit of Plague Marines tried to free Pask but Typhus was waaaay too slow to get there in time, the Plague Caster was too slow in getting rid of the Stealth Suits and the Plague Marines were too slow in getting rid of the Ghostkeel ... they're no melee unit after all.

Was it bad target selection? Yes ... maybe. In hindsight it would've been much better to kill as many of the GK as possible. Then again it was 4+1d3 Fusion Blaster right in front of Pask and near a second Russ. Kinda risky to ignore even with T8.

Small MVP in that game from the small guys: 10 Kroot made 16 hits on Poxwalker with their not-Bolter without any Markerlight support clearing the way for the Grey Knights. :biggrin.:

In the second game I screwed up the deployment of my Stealth Suits and my Ghosttkeel. I'm still not used to deploying them against units that actually want to charge them so I lost my Stealth Suits to some Genestealer who then got boosted towards our lines (where 3 Crisis Suits with two flamer each were waiting so there's that :biggrin.: ) and my Ghostkeel got charged by 20 Gaunts and a Patriarch. He killed 8 of the Gaunts in Overwatch thanks to a great roll with my flamer (went for the IonRaker+2Flamer loadout this time) and survived thanks to him fumbling the rolls for his Patriarch (tho I had two Shield Drones nearby anyway) so I was able to fall back with 6 remaining wounds and kill the remaining Gaunts and Patriarch in my turn.

So what did Dal'yth do for me in this game when I failed at basic deployment with my stealth guys? Well I had a HRR+2PR Broadside deployed on high ground (LoS to basically everything on the board unless they want to keep hiding behind the bigger LoS blocking stuff) and a Ion Cannon Hammerhead nearby. Oh and my flamer Crisis with 6 Shield Drones of course.

So in short, one AssBack wrecked a Strike Squad (played together with GK again ... I guess they think I need some psychic defense lol ), a wyvern failed at killing more than one Shield Drone thanks to the cover bonus and the other killed only two from my Strike Squad thanks to the cover bonus. The rest tried to kill my Broadside and my Hammerhead. Keyword here is 'tried'. It was a bunch of Lascannons, Missile launchers, another AssBack, some Hive Guard artillery and so on. I fumbled some saves for my Broadside and got reduced to 1 wound (1+ save out in the open is awesome lol who needs shield generators) and the Hammerhead lost two wounds as well. That's it. Next turn we proceeded to steamroll their flank without TWC, both AssBacks and Pask and got 3 units + 2 HQs in their backfield. Unfortunately it had to end after the first turn due private stuff.

So in both games I didn't go first so I didn't have the chance to move before they were able to shoot so I had the full benefit of the Dal'yth Sept Tenet and in both games it practically ended for me after the first round because either the game ended or I simply had all my interesting targets tied up in melee. Of course that's far from representative since a game ususally has far more than a single shooting phase. Nontheless I'm amazed at how much of a beating I was able to take without losing any of my damage output.

I love not losing half of my army turn one just because I didn't get first turn, but I REALLY miss the free re-roll for my Stealth Suits Fusion Blaster, HRR Broadside, Railgun Hammerhead, RR Pathfinder, Strike Team Markerlights and Fusion Blaster Piranhas. It's also awesome to be able to play a stealth Coldstar tho that argument could easily get made void if GW ever decides to release an actual Stealth Commander.

I'll need more testing but so far I'm strongly considering switching from Sa'cea to Dal'yth for good. It fits my armys theme much better and is not as terrible crunch-wise as I feared (tho I REALLY have to see how it works out when I go first and in games where my opponent has more opportunities to shoot at my stuff past turn 1). However while Dal'yth fits my armys theme better, Sa'cea fits better with how I like to play my units. Not an easy decision for me for sure.

Now my question to you is: did you ever play one of the less popular Septs? Maybe Dal'yth even? How did it work out for you?

looks like flamers on the ghostkeels work great.

I'll magnetize my other ghost keels so that I can put flamers on them, (since in my mind thats what I want them to have as the secondary weapon)

Yeah they worked nicely tho I usually stay out of 8" with my Ghostkeel so usually Fusion Blaster feel like the better option. :D
Flamer are my favourite loadout tho. Fits a Cadre stalking through the jungle better and makes our bad BS less noticeable when you get to use it.

• 3 months later...

Gonna have a 2v2 with 1k points each player tomorrow. The other three player are SW, GK and AdMech (mostly Skitarii).

I think I'm going to try something new (for my standards) ... a high risk high reward FSE list with Breacher + RR Pathfinder in fishes, a Fusion Blade Coldstar and Plasma Crisis. Wish me luck. :sweat:

Have fun!

Let us know how you get on.

I’ve got a game on Sunday, I’m playing an old school Imperial Fist army so no Primaris.

I won’t be bringing my Stormsurge this time as I’ve used it to good effect recently and want to try something different....

Plus if he's old school fists the Stormsurge may be overkill and he'll walk away despondent ... :sad.: 

good luck to both of you!! 

Mithril 

Alright so the match happened. Actually a 3v2 instead of the planned 2v2 with Orks, GK and AdMech on one side vs T'au and SW. Unfortunately we had to quit after two turns since young children apparently neither care about their parents hobby time nor their need for sleep. :sweat:

As expected FSE is pretty much a one-trick pony with a basically non-existing Sept Tenet. Crisis did great the turn they dropped in but didn't have the chance to use them much afterwards. Coldstar Commander with Fusion Blades and FSE Warlord trait is lots of fun tho I wish we could utilize all 4 attacks with the blade instead of just two. Anyway, it was still enough to kill a Warboss in mega armour and with Headwoppa's Killchoppa.

Obviously I get more use out of using Sa'cea or even Dal'yth but I think I'll treat myself to a small FSE detachment just to add the Fusion Blade Coldstar to my list. Now I just have to figure out whether I want the main part of my T'au army to be Sa'cea or Dal'yth still ... curse my indecisiveness! ^^

Mithril, yeah that’s what I thought!

We don’t play for money so it’s all about the fun, that’s the golden rule!

I intend on bringing 2000pts of T’au Sept goodness.

I’ll be fielding all 3 Hammerheads and both teams of Crisis Suits I currently own.

I’m looking forward to seeing how they fair.

SfPanzer, I’ve been there too, I’ve got 3 kids and finishing games used to be problematic! Luckily they do get older!

You’ve never come across as someone who would be indecisive! It comes as a surprise to hear you say that!

You’ve never come across as someone who would be indecisive! It comes as a surprise to hear you say that!

Hah, great to hear that I can contain it nicely most of the time! :D

It's really just that I love the concept of MSU with a single good weapon in each unit to utilize the Sa'cea Sept re-roll which enables many rather unusual choices when writing lists like Strike Teams with Markerlight on the Shas'ui, Pathfinder with a single Rail rifle, Fusion Blaster Piranha, Fusion Blaster Stealth Suits and so on.

vs

My army being stealth themed so the Dal'yth Sept Tenet and the option to play a stealth commander via relic. I've really enjoyed shrugging off alpha strikes thanks to free cover on my Broadside, Stealth Suits, Ghostkeel and Devilfishes tho after the first turn it's basically like playing without a Sept Tenet for most of the army since I try to not play gunlines.

Funnily enough I've never used the Sa'cea nor the Dal'yth specific Stratagem so far. There were always other more important things to use my CP for lol

I've not worked on my force for quite a while. I am still not quite sure how I'm going to manage my forces. I don't know which way to go.

For the minis I've got I would like to put out a large force of drones and infantry. I've got access to a lot of stealth suits, so was thinking of a detachment of 3X stealth suits led by a coldstar commander.

I've got access to a (riptide?) bigger suit as well. I'd like to incorporate him while I take my infantry, another coldstar commander, and a tau cadre fireblade.

I don't know. As I get stuff going I'll be sure to post it up here. I've been considering changing or altering my paint scheme as well. I like my scheme, but may darken it a little for the vehicles, larger suits.

Also, Saucea or Tau will be a big decision. 

• 1 month later...

So I've been playing a 1k match against AdMech yesterday. Mission was the gamble one from CA2017.

My list was a very unoptimized one aimed at not having to carry too many models with me. That included taking 3 Crisis Suits.

Without going much into detail, I got first turn, failed a gamble of 2 since I didn't manage to achieve to score even a single objective (1x defend objective, 2x capture objectives which were in the opponents deployment zone and 1x behind enemy lines ... fml) but killed some Skitarii so before my opponent even began the score was 1:2. :ermm:

Over the course of the game I got shot to bits while only being able to kill the Skitarii infantry and not being able to scratch the Onager with Icarus Array. Oh except for once in the first turn when I managed to get a single damage through, however then my opponent drew the AdMech objective cards for repairing a vehicle and repairing a vehicle back to full wounds. Just my luck I guess.

The match ended with me getting tabled and a surprisingly close score of 18:20. I knew I lost the match after the first round already but I'm pleased to see it being so close in the end. Lesson learned, next time I'll bring a proper list again. :biggrin.:

Also does anybody else think the AdMech Stratagem to give a Skitarii unit +1 to-hit or +2 to-hit if they have one of two common upgrades for 1CP is kinda broken considering they aren't even relying on something like Markerlights? 

Edited by sfPanzer

Ad mech are what tau should be shooting wise :huh.:  ... "blessings of the accuracy drone" :biggrin.:

As someone playing both AdMech and Tau - no. AdMech only has that accuracy (3+ and stratagem) on the flimsy skitarii, the servitors/robots hit on 4+ too. Tau in contrast hits single targets on a 3+ (markerlights) army-wide, making them rather specialized.

Now, unlike Tau, AdMech has next to no mobility, no transports, no <fly> and no to-wound modifications. If the -1-to-hit armies get nerfed to +1 to cover (as rumored), Tau won't be in a spot as bad as currently. The one thing Tau don't have in the shooting phase is BS3+ on everything before markerlighting, which would be definitely too much if everything hit on a rerollable 2+.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

So I'm currently watching the WarhammerTV stream with the Tales of the Four Warlords T'au vs Orks match.

Anybody recognize the page the T'au player has opened?

i108tfU.png

I got curious because I didn't recognize the picture but after checking my own I noticed that the Codex has the Power level etc. on the left side of the Datasheet while it looks like whatever Jacob uses has Power level etc. on the right side. :huh:

Nah, it looks completely different than the print version or the PDF version I have. The left page looks like it's Crisis Suits but the next page doesn't fit the next page in my versions either.