Sabik Wayland

Lords of Preyspire

I don't think it's specified.

In Angel Exterminatus, Wayland addresses Ulrach Branthan (of the 65th Clan Company, Nirankar Clan) as "my captain", but that could be a reflection of their current circumstances on the Sisypheum rather than an indication of where Wayland served before the Massacre.

Since he's not specified as a Morlock like Thamatica, Cybus, and Thoic, we can rule out the possibility that he's Avernii - though he was wounded on Isstvan V by Fulgrim himself, according to "Kryptos", so it's also possible that he belonged to Vurgaan (or, less likely, Ungavarr).

Your best bet is, perhaps, to ask Graham McNeill on Twitter if he's decided on this detail.

So I tweeted Graeme and here was his reply:

I don’t think the Clan stuff was around when I first wrote Sabik Wayland, but if I had to pick one off the top of my head, I’d go for Avernii. But seeing how the Vurgaan are led from a 'Weyland Land Behemoth’, I could be persuaded that history has chosen otherwise… :-)

I personally like the idea that his legacy lives beyond the heresy. I’m pro Vurgaan. What do you guys think?

I think Vurgaan seems like the best choice, given McNeill's comment.

Massacre mentions that certain elements of Vurgaan teleported directly to the dropsite to secure the landing zone for the dropships while Ferrus Manus led the Avernii against the Fulgrim and the Emperor's Children, while others deployed by drop pod.

Easy to believe that Wayland came down with either of these "leading edge" deployments and was thus part of a push forward, behind the Avernii, that brought him into combat with the Phoenician.

Archived