MajorNese's AdMech reboot - project log

Hello everyone,

since I rebooted my AdMech a month ago, I thought I'd open up a project log. The army itself was started right after the skitarii codex dropped back in the day, which is why there's a lot of stuff in there that doesn't make sense this edition (yeah, lots of arc stuff). With the new distinction between forge worlds, the paint theme is undecided and Carl unplayable (I don't do mixed armies). I stick with Lucius for now, the one and only faction offering mobility during the game.

The paint theme is rather standard for my skitarii, the usual red for mass produced wargear. Bigger vehicles (and enginseer-gone-dominus) have the Brotherhood of Steel logo, but that's too much to freehand onto any generic skitarius. For the more elite stuff (ordinatus/knights/robos, that I mostly did after my Raptors army), I've changed it to wet blended black-to-red gradients. Visually more interesting, and really really fast to paint.

An overview of my current collection, ranging around 5000p:

aimg_4223wrsuh.jpg

aimg_4226qzs6n.jpgaimg_4229xdssi.jpgordinatusotke2.jpgaimg_252535sf9.jpgaimg_2476c2s0a.jpgaimg_2474wqsm8.jpgatroposeau1i.jpg

Since everyone is posting Armigers, I might as well join in with the one I painted yesterday:

aimg_4244vns7n.jpg

The next step for me, after finishing the WiP Raptors stuff, is to add 2 more dragoons, several infantry squads, and knights ranging from Armigers to Porphyrion. I don't intend to build a knight army, but these things just keep popping up on my shelf...

A glorious tribute to the Omnissiah's might, MajorNese!  I'm always excited to see an Ordinatus on the tabletop and the consistent scheme really brings the various elements of your army together as a whole.  That Baneblade-esque super heavy tank is especially interesting; how do you account for its crazy cool guns on the tabletop?

Thank you. The baneblade is played as just a regular baneblade. I don't want homecooked rules, and this way I can use it in just any game. I mostly built that one as a centerpiece for Armies on Parade 2016, never played it until 8th edition made allied superheavies easier to field. Enginseer + Necromechanic + repair relic + maybe a CP or two makes it incredibly resilient, takes a lot of pressure off the other vehicles.

God damn I want Cyraxus to come out so I can get an Ordinatus.

Yeah, me too. Or field the thralls/secutarii. Or all the other mechanicum tanks, those would look awesome in the gradient scheme.

Though I guess they will make the ordinatus damn expensive, just like all other apocalypse-grade superheavies. With Chapter Approved, they for example doubled the points cost for the Thunderhawk. Looking at the belicosa stats (the warlord titan has the same gun), it would probably be overkill for regular games...

Edited by MajorNese

• 8 months later...

Time for a small update, after months of mostly working abroad.

With infantry being this cheap this edition, I've stocked up on skitarii. Just completed 25, now (with a battleforce and the big killteam box available again) there's another 20 under construction. My current aim is 3 fully modular squads of rangers and vanguard - every option from running barebone full squads to omnispex/tether/plasma/arc, and fully magnetized sergeants.

Recently finished 2 more dragoons, bought a dominus knight and 2 more armigers (waiting for conversion bitz), a set of bots and some other assorted mechanical goodness. But as something new to show off, the UR-025 finished today for Boxing Day Bash:

aimg_71849bfix.jpg

Hoping for a unit of these in the next codex :smile.:  Great finish on this robit!

This. Without the blackstone background, none would have drawn any connection to the Men of Iron. Those looked like terminator robots in the old artworks, so UR might just be wearing some old robot's armour plates.

All in all, UR looks like Kastelans should have always looked - realistic, properly armoured, and with good proportions. Hopefully GW will use similar design in the future.

Built the first of two baymaxes. Some cleanup work to do around the gun, and building a replacement CCW, but all in all it looks workable and more menacing than the original.

baymax03en5.jpg

Except for that, I built the second pair of armigers, with helverin loadout. For the warglaive loadout, I'll still have to convert some CCWs so they don't all look identical. As thermal spear replacement, I already got a volkite off shapeways, and a thermal spear converted with an eradication beamer, giving me 4 entirely different AdMech-looking guns. Now just waiting for the 2 replacement carapaces...or I'll just need another two armigers for those. :whistling:

And the dominus knight could start soon, as the knee extender is available again. After all, it has to look bigger than my atrapos...

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress...

Helverin 1 of 2 is done, the other needs a bit of finishing touches. Knight Castellan is built, and I've started doing the gradients on the armour panels. TaroModelMaker's knee extenders fit perfectly, and I've scratchbuilt a torso extender that is a bit wider than the shapeways one. Still waiting for a cerastus head, then everything can be assembled, and when the 3 are done, I'll do a proper group shot.

aimg_7546a8jxj.jpg

Just for fun, I've made a primaris with the same gradient scheme. Maybe this will expand into a small playable detachment, maybe it'll just make a few inbetween projects as diversion. Still got lots of primaris on sprue due to my Raptors.

aimg_75455zkaj.jpg

I like the colors you chose for the Knight and the Marines. Are the latter from an Iron Hands successor, sent to aid the Knight House and fulfill ancient "Treaties of Alloying" (what I presume the Iron Hands call friendship, as an alloy is stronger than the individual metals used in their production)?

I like the colors you chose for the Knight and the Marines. Are the latter from an Iron Hands successor, sent to aid the Knight House and fulfill ancient "Treaties of Alloying" (what I presume the Iron Hands call friendship, as an alloy is stronger than the individual metals used in their production)?

My current idea is, as this would be purely primaris, that these marines are simply leftovers/WiPs from Carl's 10 milennia of tinkering. Considering Carl's scattered mind, he will have quite a pile of shame in his labs. Some fluff indicates that several primaris revere Carl, so they might stay with his faction. Some primaris from the early trials might be imperfect, but still potent enough to do the Iron Hands thing and march downrange while showering the enemy with bullets.

Cool gradient. Same color just light coats layered slowly to heavier coats? I ask because I'm still learning how to use my airbrush.

To be honest, I have no experience with doing this via airbrush, I currently use mine only for washing larger areas and applying pigment fixers. This was done with flat brush wet blending, which takes some practice but is a lot cheaper and less maintenance than airbrush.

Your computer's autocorrect function keeps respelling Cawl's name as "Carl". This confused me until I realized what was happening. You should disable your computer's autocorrect to prevent this. (I suffered from the same problem. In posts I made via my smartphone, you may see "box transmissions" and "box antennas" because the device's thrice-damned autocorrect kept respelling "vox".)

Nah, to be honest that's intentional. Around here, everyone starts quoting "Llamas with hats" (which has a llama called Carl that kills all the time) every time Cawl gets to kill something ingame.

Cawl is nicknamed "Carl"? Is this a 4chan thing, the way Roboute Guilliman is nicknamed "Rowboat Girlyman" on that Emperor-forsaken site?

It doesn't take 4chan to establish some nicknames. In Cawl's case it's mostly the running gag of Llamas With Hats, which does fit nicely with his weaponry in 7th edition - it just kills people. And in Girlyman's case it's just that most of the local players have been around since the Dark Age of Matt Ward, which means that ultramarines are still hated by pretty much everyone. Which doesn't exactly stop when the blue man group keeps getting showered with more oh-so-perfect fluff/stuff.

Nah, to be honest that's intentional. Around here, everyone starts quoting "Llamas with hats" (which has a llama called Carl that kills all the time) every time Cawl gets to kill something ingame.

Cawl is nicknamed "Carl"? Is this a 4chan thing, the way Roboute Guilliman is nicknamed "Rowboat Girlyman" on that Emperor-forsaken site?

Yea it’s annoying. New people often end up confused. I often try to keep using proper names including Guilliman just to keep it simple.

Those Primaris marines look nice. I especially like the use of the heads from the other set.

Thank you. The exhausts were the first ones I did with black pigments, needs a bit of practice but the result is a lot less patchy than just dumping nuln oil on it and hanging it upside down to dry. Now back to the dominus...

I really like the bases as well. Nicely done. :thumbsup:

I experimented a lot with that bright orange - getting it really bright takes a lot of layers on a black basecoat. Now I'm down to 4 layers - 2 layers of ceramite white and 2 layers of ryza rust (used like regular base color), both undiluted, and it's done. The rest is just drybrushing.