MajorNese's AdMech reboot - project log

...and another one for the Weekly Primaris. This time a reiver with some bionic enhancements:

aimg_78682vkd4.jpg

The dominus is moving ahead, but I had to get a few skitarii for tomorrow's game off the painting table first. Tomorrow I'll also pick up a killteam box and a delaque box for conversions, so I'll stay busy for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

The castellan knight is done. Had to improvise a faceplate, as the original face plate armour got used on the waist extender. With the next acastus knight in mind, the servohauler kit provided a fitting one.

aimg_8928xfje4.jpg

And, as promised, the group shot of my knights. Originally I just wanted an atrapos...and the armigers were cheap...and the castellan might be fun...and now I accidentally built a knight house. #just40kthings

aimg_89248ikzj.jpg aimg_8933ndjy6.jpg aimg_8936fwkoz.jpg

Yep, the deep red and wonderful fade is excellent, but the vivid green is the perfect accent that really brings the scheme together while adding some bright elements that really pop. Hum, I wonder why I would find a vivid green accent colour so pleasing?

Thanks guys. The green is rather simple - ceramite white basecoat, then several layers (and/or drops) of waywatcher green. In reality, it's just a lot brighter and more vibrant than painted glow effects, while automatically creating gradients by pooling (and slightly darkening) the recesses. The primaris eyes are done the same way.

I've only just noticed the turret mounted grav cannons. Nice conversion. It's so subtle I didn't notice it at first. 

Yeah, the photo angle wasn't the best to show those cannons. Also, I filed down the side flaps of the turrets to make them at least a bit smaller. The other conversion things are the scratchbuilt head and hip extender, and the additional knee joints from Taromodelmaker. The additional height does help make the model more impressive, especially near the regular knights you sometimes see by the dozen.

One more primaris (on the left), and testing a new camera lens. Works out so far, but the upcoming months I'll probably spend mostly on my Raptors - I'm currently assembling and converting a Mastodon for them, then the new Vanguard units will come out. And those definitely look a 100% Raptors...

aimg_8968xaj6u.jpg

To be honest, I have no idea. The problem with wet blended armour is that any flat logo (all decals, freehands with one color per color) would look weird on the gradients. If the primaris get extended (which might take a while, see Raptors Vanguard/Mastodon - those will probably take half a year), I'll probably give them glue-on shoulder plate logos (likely from IH), but so far there is nothing explicitly planned. Right now, I'm converting a superheavy siege tank to a sneaky FOB/command tank, as weird as that may sound...:sweat:

I've only just noticed the turret mounted grav cannons. Nice conversion. It's so subtle I didn't notice it at first.

Ah nice catch! Great look on that Castellan. I see this and wish I hadn’t stopped kid mine but I just really couldn’t use it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Moar primaris!!!

Now I've got at least one troops unit and one HQ, so everything from now on is (in theory) playable. Next up (once I can cast my own reiver helmets) would be a second squad of intercessors, and getting the reivers/hellblasters to minimum squad size. Followed by the Iron Father once released.

aimg_084046kof.jpg

aimg_0843u7kbw.jpg

And once the AdMech tank is out, I'll add a few of them, of course.

• 2 months later...

Moar stuff - gave the good old 30k Mechanicum LandRaider (a.k.a. Macrocarid Explorator) a new spin, as fire support LandRaider for my AdMech primaris. The guns are magnetized, in case FW ever decides to drop rules for it. Despite discontinuing it.

aimg_1012kej6s.jpg

aimg_1015lhkmx.jpg

In preparation for Armies on Parade, his big unplayable brother is currently receiving a new spin, with an even more unplayable loadout:

aimg_1019pyjs2.jpg

Gun is only half painted, and crew is still missing. Will finish it after ETL, which I'll use to get as much AdMech primaris and knights stuff done - there's a trio of Moirax on its way...

Thanks. The paint scheme is not the most complicated - the flat brush wet blends are done in an hour or two. From then on, the steps are not very numerous - the Ordinatus plasma gun for example has only received about 2-3h of painting time so far...

The goliath truck's design doesn't add up at all. My first thought was combining a Krios as front part and a Triaros as rear part to get enclosed parts, but let's just say the dimensions don't add up at all. Not that it would have mattered in the end, with still no rules in sight.