MajorNese's AdMech reboot - project log

I like the nuclear grenades on the harness.

Yep, part of the background I thought up for these guys.

As "leftovers"/Pile of Shame from the primaris project, they still hang around with Cawl and his forces. Even if their weaponry is not the healthiest (the grenades might as well be Radium grenades) and the 10k years of tinkering produced quite a few specimens in need of a mind wipe/bionic replacements, they are still capable enough to shower the enemies of the Omnissiah with lead.

Besides the armigers currently on the painting table, I'm converting a regular primaris chaplain to an iron father. I mean, that guy already has a skull mask, how could I not take that guy and improve him a bit?

Yeah, let's say ETL is motivating me to work on that pretty much all afternoon. Usually I'm too lazy for that.

Besides, the paint scheme is rather basic in terms of complexity.

-flat brush wet blending for armour plates - maybe 2h for both, rather less than that

-drybrush metal on the dark parts, paint metal surfaces (Boltgun, Retribution), nuln oil wash

-glowing parts get painted Ceramite white, then 2 layers of Waywatcher green. A lot brighter and more vibrant than layered effects or airbrush.

That's mostly it, except for certain details. Bases are drybrushing grey in 2 steps, doing the lava in 5 layers (2 white, 3 Ryza rust) and drybrushing the surroundings in Ryza too.

Looks good enough, and it's fast enough to actually build a playable army with that scheme.

Third (and for now final) armiger is done, as well as a chaplain converted to Iron Father:

aimg_10538hjfu.jpgaimg_10520fjbl.jpg

With ETL over for me, I'll go back to actual AdMech units. GW not releasing the IH and RG supplement leave me without a complete codex anyway, which makes AdMech a lot more focused.

First thing will be finishing that half-painted Manipulus, and assembling/painting that Termite. After that, I'll order some of the transports and fill up on TPEs with the old metal models, to get all 3 TPE variants instead of random FW Mechanicum dudes.

Thank you. The conversion was not too complicated, most details added up from the start. And after a while, the bitz box has a ridiculous amount of rare parts, like the Draykavac head...

Considering chaplains got usable even for ranged units, that should be somewhat playable once the supplement drops. But that's a topic for later, first off I'll fill up my AdMech...

• 1 month later...

Progress...

First off, I've added Feirros to the mix, with only minor conversions.

aimg_8878rfjua.jpg

Also I have a Krios around, to cast the lowest 2cm of the tracks to add them to the skorpius tanks. I intend to make enclosed transports that will look a bit like the java land crawlers from Star Wars, I guess this should fit our aesthetics nicely. Once the casting is done, the krios will be painted up and used as an IH vindicator, joining the macrocarid.

Also, with Armies on Parade around the corner, this year's board is beginning to shape up. Since that pic, I've carved up the landscape for a more interesting look, but it still needs the backdrop - a mountain wall with opened gate, with the ordinatus driving out.

aopltjnt.jpg

First time working with a hot wire cutter. Not bad, considering how quick and easy that is. Unlike the cutter knife, that promptly broke off and continued its trajectory into my leg. Thankfully there was just a few millimeter of blade left, nothing bad. But a sign to just use the hot wire thingy...

Nonetheless, main floor got some structure, with spaces earmarked for the knights. Gate is glued too, and the large back plate is being glued to the floor. Next step would be to figure out how the top mountain range should look like - how high, and how high/long/wide the platform for the Iron Father and his Gorgon bodyguard should be.

aimg_8886d1k6i.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That looks ace, I love the seal above the balcony and how you painted the ground to work with the lava on your bases.

Thank you.

And the balcony and the lava fitting the bases were issues I had with previous boards - they were always flat (never building vertical) and had the HQs in a rather obscured position, and the position of the models was not fixed so the board decoration didn't connect to the base decoration.

First time working with a hot wire cutter - it does make things a lot easier, and now I got the hang of it far enough to plan for next year's board.

• 4 months later...

The Great Work continues...

A month ago, our local tournament (with 5 out of 6 players having Astartes of some kind) showed me that something other than power armour would be nice for a change. So, with our new releases on the way, I've decided to prepare for that day, and finish the stuff that accumulated in the meantime.

First batch consists of a range of characters that awaited in sprue state. The Manipulus still needs his gubbins, but since I was low on time before going out of country for 3 weeks, I postponed them for the time being. Grombrindal serves as additional enginseer.

aimg_1691tejtf.jpg

As a side note - I'd have loved if GW released an entire multipart of combat servitors close to X-101. The design is just awesome, but so far there is only one, and its rules suck. Would have been a way more fitting release than the dino riders...

Also finished a box of plasmaphrons. I'll need way more - until now, I've only had 3 self-casted ones of different design. Now I go for the official ones, since I've never painted them before, and they look awesome.

aimg_1689utkeg.jpg

Last but not least, my first boat.

I didn't like the Higgins Boat look entirely, and the design difference between transport and gunboat. So I closed the transport, making it a beach ramming brick, way more brutal than the original look. Once I figure out how to do an enclosed turret with missile launcher, it can run as both variants.

So if anyone knows a third party source for enclosed boat turrets, this might help a lot. No way that thing will stay open...

aimg_1684lijkm.jpg

aimg_1685dcj4r.jpg