Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sisters Color Schemes Inquiry

19 replies to this topic

Aothaine

Aothaine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,914 posts
  • Faction: Flesh Tearers

Trying to decide how, if I do start sisters, I would want to paint them. If you look for pictures of sisters models they are usually black and red. I want my colors to be a bit brighter and nobler. Any suggestions? Comments?

sister.php?bpe=FFE49E&bpj=FFE49E&bp=FFE4

"Death before Dishonor! No Mercy!" - Captain Donatello of the Roaring Lions!

gallery_62972_14467_40478.png

bkde

bkde

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 279 posts
Silver armour, purple robes, black weapon casings are my go-to. Special characters are gold armour, purple robes.

On the basic girls, the weapon is nearly 1/3 of the figure, which makes it great for a your 3rd colour in the scheme.
  • Aothaine likes this

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,554 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Valorous Heart
Officially all Sisters orders use a combination of red white and black (with gold or silver hilights), and I stick to that.

However, you’ll notice that some white dwarf articles use other colors in example armies so it is up to you and your headcanon.

Black with red robes is the colors of the Order of Our Martyred Lady, but a lot of people seem to think that’s just “standard Sisters colors” which makes no more sense than calling ultramarine blue with gold trim “standard space marine colors”

Edited by Servant of Dante, 30 March 2018 - 05:38 PM.

• Aothaine likes this

taikishi

taikishi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 500 posts

Where are you getting this from? The bit about red, white and black for order colors, I mean?

The Order of the Argent Shroud uses silver power armor which is a lot more than just trim. The (canon) Order of the Blue Robe (IA2) uses white power armor with light blue vestments. And then there's thirteen minor orders we've not seen much of anything on outside of name and maybe a brief snippet on their operations.

Aothaine

Aothaine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,914 posts

Thank you everyone! I can see the benefit of preserving the gold armour for celestine. I'll have to give this some more thought before I paint up my test model that I've been saving for years.

Have a sister with flamer. 

Think I got it! Going to go with this then: 

sister.php?bpe=000000&bpj=000000&bp=0000

Order of the Lucky Lady. I might paint the Fleurs gold though. I'm also thinking about making the outside of the cloth black with the inside being green and giving the cloth gold trim.

Edited by Aothaine, 30 March 2018 - 06:28 PM.

• Montford likes this

Aqui

Aqui

++ ARQUUS PRAELIA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,249 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Dauntless Spirit

Officially all Sisters orders use a combination of red white and black (with gold or silver hilights), and I stick to that.

Where are you getting this from? :huh:

However, you’ll notice that some white dwarf articles use other colors in example armies so it is up to you and your headcanon.
Black with red robes is the colors of the Order of Our Martyred Lady, but a lot of people seem to think that’s just “standard Sisters colors” which makes no more sense than calling ultramarine blue with gold trim “standard space marine colors”

Sisters usually use whatever colours represent themselves and their Patron Saint, so that means practically anything. That said, I do like Aothaine's scheme a lot ^_^

Once, a Novice Cantus came to me, troubled and uncertain. A slip of a girl, only a few strides down the eternal path leading her to the Golden Throne. She asked me a question. She asked me how we can ever truly understand what faith is. I told her that there is no coin to measure what we feel in our hearts. There are no scales upon which we might weigh the faith of one woman against another. There is only duty and blood. There are only deeds and words. There is only the service to the God-Emperor, and the price that demands from each Sister can only be known by Him. But know that whatever fears must be faced, whatever hardships endured, that price is forever worth its full cost.
- Sister Katherine Elysius,
Daughter of the Emperor (later Imperial Saint Katherine)

Isolia

Isolia

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 435 posts
I have a theme close to Argent Shroud. It works fine, the darker red with a brighter metal colour pops nicely and looks classy. I think a golden theme with dark-ish red robes is a fine way to go :)

Didn't catch the second scheme either, nice too :)

Edited by Isolia, 30 March 2018 - 08:37 PM.

Aqui

Aqui

++ ARQUUS PRAELIA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,249 posts

Thank you everyone! I can see the benefit of preserving the gold armour for celestine. I'll have to give this some more thought before I paint up my test model that I've been saving for years.

Have a sister with flamer. 

Think I got it! Going to go with this then: 

sister.php?bpe=000000&bpj=000000&bp=0000

Order of the Lucky Lady. I might paint the Fleurs gold though. I'm also thinking about making the outside of the cloth black with the inside being green and giving the cloth gold trim.

Didn't see this post. Whilst I really like the first one, this one is nice too and gold trim on the cloth would be good. I've done that on the purple cloth of my Sisters:)
  • Aothaine likes this

Once, a Novice Cantus came to me, troubled and uncertain. A slip of a girl, only a few strides down the eternal path leading her to the Golden Throne. She asked me a question. She asked me how we can ever truly understand what faith is. I told her that there is no coin to measure what we feel in our hearts. There are no scales upon which we might weigh the faith of one woman against another. There is only duty and blood. There are only deeds and words. There is only the service to the God-Emperor, and the price that demands from each Sister can only be known by Him. But know that whatever fears must be faced, whatever hardships endured, that price is forever worth its full cost.

Atrus

Atrus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 580 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Penitent Spirit
I instantly think of Sisters of the Fiery Lizard (salamander) :P

Aothaine

Aothaine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,914 posts

I instantly think of Sisters of the Fiery Lizard (salamander) tongue.png

Ohhh nice! That could work well with my Primaris Salamander force I'm thinking about building.  ^_^

Montford

Montford

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 513 posts
  • Faction: Sisters of Battle/Red Templars

That white faceplate on the sallet (helm) is a nice touch.

Peace may cost less than war, or infinitely more, for war cannot cost more than one's own life.

-Klingon proverb

taikishi

taikishi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 500 posts

I'm with Aqui, I really like the first scheme. Also, it's your army; nothing says you must paint Celestine in gold power armor. If you want to paint your main troops gold and then paint Celestine in a bluish-purple I say do it. It would also look really good because that's the complimentary color to gold.

That being said, I initially thought your first one was painted with an off-white color until just now. :blush:

Aqui

Aqui

++ ARQUUS PRAELIA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,249 posts
I must admit, when I first saw it, it looked like a bone colour. But I didn't have my glasses on my ocular upgrade activated :lol:

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,554 posts
The painting guides GW put out for Sisters in the past did say that the orders stuck to black white and red (the argent shroud being the only pseudo-exception to this among the major orders). It’s not a point I myself am heavily invested in, I just wanted to put it out there for completeness sake.

I’ve always wondered what an army of brown themed sisters would look like . . .

Edited by Servant of Dante, 31 March 2018 - 03:10 PM.

taikishi

taikishi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 500 posts

Brown power armor or brown robes? Think I have a few of the latter from when I was trying to come up with a more camo-theme along the lines of a minor order that works in tandem with the Raptors Chapter. I'll see if I can mock something up, though.

And, yeah, @Aqui, I was thinking the original was bone as well and that was with my ocular upgrade blush.png

Edit:

Very quick color scheme, all of which are shades of brown

Armor: Khaki

Habit: Kobicha (a Japanese traditional color that has been in use since 660 AD in the form of various dyes used in designing kimono.)

Shoulder symbols/fleur: Beige

Eyes/Inquisitorial symbol: Amber

Rebreather/neckpipes/belt: Raw Umber

sister.php?bpe=C3B091&bpj=C3B091&bp=C3B0

Edited by taikishi, 02 April 2018 - 01:39 PM.

• Aqui, Aothaine and Servant of Dante like this

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,554 posts
I had a color scheme that used both in the B&C painter. I think it was darker brown robes with light brown armor.

Edit: basically like that yeah

Edited by Servant of Dante, 02 April 2018 - 01:40 PM.

taikishi

taikishi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 500 posts

You got a post in before my edit. Check my edit above :D

Aothaine

Aothaine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,914 posts

Pretty sure I'm gonna go with the Black, Green, White and Silver. Love green, Slytherin at heart, and I plan on building a primaris Salamanders force eventually so if I ever have the two units group up having the green to connect them will really look snazzy on the board. 

Thank you everyone!

• Aqui likes this

ValourousHeart

ValourousHeart

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,508 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Gossamer Shroud

I prefer the first color scheme you had.

med_gallery_8790_3236_323840.jpg

• Aothaine likes this

Major_Gilbear

Major_Gilbear

++ ÆDIFICATOR BARBATOS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,403 posts

Years ago, Werner Klocke entered a squad of Sisters into Golden Daemon, painted in browns and tans.

It looked just like taikishi's suggestion above, and won gold in the 40k Squad category:

UK%201998%2040k%20squad%201%20Werner%20K

• ValourousHeart and Aothaine like this
My Dark Angels 5th Company Painting Log (NB: images are now all fixed!)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users